Topic ClosedNews from Nick Barrett

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 12:31
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I bought good music and ate peanut butter and spaghetti all the time.  Never tried frozen pea sandwiches.  Sounds horrendous. 
we ate salad cream sandwiches when the peas ran out

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

The only time I have ever downloaded anything, is if the music was not otherwise commercially available, and chances were slim that it would ever become commercially available, such as unreleased demos and things like that.  However, even for the stuff I have downloaded, if it ever became commercially available, I would buy it commercially.  We are all poor at some point in our lives, well unless you happen to have been born rich, and we all have to make choices.  Whether or not a student would otherwise have bought the album if he/she could not download it, is irrelevant.  If you are unwilling to pay for an album, you don't have the right to have the album. 

It is especially upsetting for me when we are talking about prog bands, because these people are living on the knife's edge as it is.  I'm sure Nick isn't getting filthy rich off of Pendragon, rather he is probably struggling to keep the band alive and every person who downloads his music without paying for it is helping to bankrupt prog rock bands like his. 

It is small indie labels and small genre specific stuff that will really suffer first, and slowly (or rapidly) dissapear..... it's heartbreaking, and very frustrating!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 12:42
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

If I were the musician I'd rather people like my stuff while hearing it illegally than not even knowing about it.

hmmmm........ how would you pay your bills?
Or would you live in magic musicians land where you don't get presented with studio bills? tax bills? food bills? gas bills?

This is the challenge of the modern prog band. Without a large fanbase, the musician may not be able to continue putting out material. But regular people have expenses too. And would I be wrong in saying CD/LP prices in the 70s/80s were much less than their equivalent now. In that case, people would be able to more easily buy music. $14-18 for a CD is a lot more than $10-11.

If Pendragon performs a concert near me, I'll fork over so much cash to see them, but like so many Euro prog bands, they don't have the fanbase or the funds.

The Pendies are exploring the idea of a US tour next year, obviously they can't play in everyone's back yard, (as much as I am sure they'd love to!!!)as to lack of funds...... well, lets return to the original issue shall we???
Downloading damages all aspects of music. When folk buy the cd's a band can see where there fan base is, and tour accordingly, if it's nicked then you have little chance of seeing them, they don't know who you are, where you are, and the funds are lacking.

Too true, but we already know touring is so hard for prog bands, and I'm willing to bet this is one of the more primary reasons Pendragon is in debt. Studio time is not that expensive (and I think Nick has a home studio anyway), pressing CDs, etc cost probably a good chunck of the cash, but imagine the costs of putting on a tour! Of course, to me it doesn't matter if they tour much because I can't see them because they haven't yet come in range. For the record, I've bought everything I have from Pendragon, so they know where I am! Wink

but they'd still not come where I am.
.......ach Stonie, don't be so defeatist!

............. where are you?

P-C

I'm in Northeast Indiana, about 2-3 hours away from Chicago/Cleveland. I'd go to see Pendragon if they came near that range, but as far as I know, they've only been to NEARfest, which is in Pennsylvania and pretty far away. I'dve gone, but it's really expensive for me, and I was a bit too young to do the whole festival.

Edited by stonebeard - September 05 2007 at 12:44
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 12:47
Sorry, but there is no defense in downloading music. There was a time when I was a poor college student bringing in about $150 per month with little help from my folks. I even gave up my car to go to college. Sometime one must do without certain luxuries.

In my eyes, downloading music illegally is no different than walking into a CD store, sticking a disc in your coat, and walking out without paying. Nobody will convince me differently.

E
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 13:16
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Sorry, but there is no defense in downloading music. There was a time when I was a poor college student bringing in about $150 per month with little help from my folks. I even gave up my car to go to college. Sometime one must do without certain luxuries.

In my eyes, downloading music illegally is no different than walking into a CD store, sticking a disc in your coat, and walking out without paying. Nobody will convince me differently.

E

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, although not being open to any discussion is never a good thing. Downloading seems black and white, but if you think about how I described the situation, you can see that there it's not always as clear cut as stealing vs buying.
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 16:08
You're never really in a situation where you absolutely -cannot- buy an album.  I'm possibly the single-poorest member of PA, my boyfriend and I living on rice and beans for food (about $5 for a week of meals), the rest of the money going towards rent, utilities, insurance, and transport.  If something comes up that you absolutely must have, there's always a way, though it may not be immediate.  When I pre-ordered the special edition Tangent DVD, I switched to hand-rolled smokes, which saves honestly about $80 or more a month for a pack-a-day smoker.  Picked up the new Tangent as well as the Return To Childhood DVD, and now I keep that savings aside for little treats like real meat for dinner occasionally LOL  This month I screwed up and ended up with $170 in debt from a slight miscalculation Ouch  But this is life!  Life is precious!  We do not need luxuries to survive or be happy!

Also, local libraries often have DVDs to borrow; I got to see a Grateful Dead DVD that way Tongue  If you're one of the more fortunate people, perhaps consider donating prog DVDs to your local library, so that the less fortunate may be cultured.

Even for a hardcore prog fan, there's no shame in 'only' getting 6-12 CDs a year...  just make them good ones.  You'll appreciate them more when you're not drowning in hundreds of illegal downloads, as well Wink

Edited by Man Overboard - September 05 2007 at 16:10
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 16:19
Trying to get some projects out, so the only thing I can add is Pendragon et al are providing a product that requires a buyer. A buyer who keeps them providing a product. Add up all the people illegally downloading their product, then how can they make a profit, let alone break even? 

As for everybody having expenses: while this is true, how is this Pendragon's fault and why should they be punished? I have a mortgage to pay, but still need clothes for work; so, I'll just run down to Eddie Bauer and lift a button down wrinkle resistant shirt and some khakis. Not trying to be a wise a*s...just making a point.

E
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 16:42
There are just so many good bands out there with so many new albums available; it can be quite expensive to fill all of one's musical tastes.  Admittedly, I have made copies of albums that I have borrowed from my local library.  I would say mostly classic rock or plain rock versus prog rock CDs, although my library does have a handful of prog rock albums available which always surprises me when I see them.  The other thing that I tend to do a lot is buy used CDs from my local CD stores or from EBay.  Again, probably more classic rock or plain rock versus prog rock but again on occasion I do find some prog rock gems.  Unfortunately, this really is only a smidgen better than illegally downloading since even though I am paying for it, the money is going to the CD store and not the artist, since the artist already got there cut when the album was originally sold.  But it is certainly much cheaper to pay $4-$8 for a CD versus $16+ for a CD.  In Pendragon's case, their CDs always seem to be going for $25 or more on Amazon or elsewhere. They don't seem to be readily available here in the US since they are an import.  To me, that is a bit of a ridiculous price to pay for a CD. 

My other thought on this matter, which may or may not be any better or more practical, is to purchase CDs with friends with similar tastes.  If 4 friends each have enough money to buy 1 CD, then you can buy 4 CDs and loan/trade them to each other.  It probably isn't that much better than illegal downloading, since only 4 CDs have been purchased instead of 16 CDs, but 4 is still better than the none or 1 that may have been purchased, or 0 if they were illegally downloaded.  Of course, it might be highly unpractical for anyone to actually have 4 friends who also listen to prog music.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 17:00
All I know from Nick's latest entry on Pendragon's forum is that he's a man who is hurting. I feel bad for the guy.

A little number crunching per Nick:

OK...so , last week we checked out a few stats for you, and this is where we are . There is a site called Mininova, where you can see the Past And Presence DVD [not cd!!] has been downloaded illegally 810 times [Losing us £17,000 gross before costs if the same people were to buy it from our website].

Given that over all sales of the Past And Presence dvd is probably gonna hit 3,000 copies absolute tops, that is about a quarter of lost sales...on this one site alone!!!
They also show figures of approx 1,400 downloads illegally of Believe,
[Losing us about £14,000 gross if the same people were to buy it from our website] and more on our other albums too. Given that we have sold 18,000 Believes you can see that this makes a big dent in us getting paid, don't forget this is one one site alone!

Some other illegal download stats for you are:
Site x And Now Everybody To The Stage DVD - 1,930 downloads
Site x Believe - 1,291 downloads
Site x Past And Presence DVD - 1,192 downloads
Site y The World - 1,829 downloads
Site z Past And Presence DVD -174

E
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 17:08
^^
Funny how the vast majority of prog fans say out loud they are fans of music and musicians, yet they slowly but surely murder their favorite artists... One day it will be too late, nobody will record music anymore, and the waves of the world will be filled with insipid products and these so-called fans will wonder what went wrong with the wonder that is music...  To quote Steven WIlson : "One of the wonders of the world is going down, it's one of the blunders of the world that no one cares..."
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 17:16
^ I certainly feel for him too.  I can positively declare that I have not illegally downloaded any Pendragon material.  On the other hand, I have only purchased 2 of their albums to-date. 

My response to this would be is that he is portraying a worse-case scenario.  Of all of the above illegal downloads, what percentage of people would have actually bought or listened to their music if they didn't download it illegally.  There are probably a good portion of people who download anything they can get their hands on and would never have bought a Pendragon album anyhow.  On the other hand, there may have been a portion of these people who were listening to Pendragon for the first time who may have then gone out and legitimately purchased that album or video or other Pendragon albums or videos because of that illegal download.  Thinking the best of human nature this is possible, and for members of PA, even likely, but knowing the worst of human nature this is probably not likely.  Having absolutely no idea who were doing these illegal downloads, it may have been Harry Potter fans or fans of the origin of the name Pendragon, who were curious to see what this band was, listened to it 1 time, said "yuck, this doesn't sound like Britney Spears", and never listened to it again.

FYI, I am somewhat playing devil's advocate, since I absolutely agree with your analogies about illegally downloading. 
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 17:43
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

^ I certainly feel for him too.  I can positively declare that I have not illegally downloaded any Pendragon material.  On the other hand, I have only purchased 2 of their albums to-date. 

My response to this would be is that he is portraying a worse-case scenario.  Of all of the above illegal downloads, what percentage of people would have actually bought or listened to their music if they didn't download it illegally.  There are probably a good portion of people who download anything they can get their hands on and would never have bought a Pendragon album anyhow.  On the other hand, there may have been a portion of these people who were listening to Pendragon for the first time who may have then gone out and legitimately purchased that album or video or other Pendragon albums or videos because of that illegal download.  Thinking the best of human nature this is possible, and for members of PA, even likely, but knowing the worst of human nature this is probably not likely.  Having absolutely no idea who were doing these illegal downloads, it may have been Harry Potter fans or fans of the origin of the name Pendragon, who were curious to see what this band was, listened to it 1 time, said "yuck, this doesn't sound like Britney Spears", and never listened to it again.

FYI, I am somewhat playing devil's advocate, since I absolutely agree with your analogies about illegally downloading. 

I'm sure there will be cases of this; however, what's wrong with listening to samples and deciding whether or not if it's for you? You try on shoes before you buy them, so music can be the same way. We've become such a 'ME' generation...myself included. I may not illegally download music, but can be egocentric as well.

E
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 17:49

I'm sure there will be cases of this; however, what's wrong with listening to samples and deciding whether or not if it's for you? You try on shoes before you buy them, so music can be the same way. We've become such a 'ME' generation...myself included. I may not illegally download music, but can be egocentric as well.

E

Prog isn't the best venue for samples...  I've heard songs with excellent samples, then the album turned out to be rot.  Inversely, I've heard albums with horrid samples, but the album was a masterpiece in the end.

I've got a proposal:  What if bands instead offered an entire show recorded from the soundboard for free (unmastered perhaps, to save costs) on the website, to give listeners an -excellent- idea of the band's sound and music, and then the listener may be quite motivated to not only buy the albums, but attend the concerts as well?  TFK's old site had a bunch of live tracks up, filled with improv, and that played a huge part in my blossoming love for them Embarrassed

They could even use BitTorrent as a method of distribution (it does have many legal applications after all), and include perhaps a pdf file or something with lots of info on the band, so even if the torrent got redistributed, everyone who got this would know exactly where it came from and what its purpose was.  Using BitTorrent would also mean that the band would not have to pay a dime on bandwidth or server space for this multimedia, as the end user would be supporting the traffic load.

To add yet another edit to this post, the text liner included could mention that it's an unmastered soundboard recording, and that if one enjoys it, perhaps a purchase of the band's well-produced live DVD might be warranted.  Big%20smile

Edited by Man Overboard - September 05 2007 at 17:54
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 18:07
Well, retail in general is a gamble. I do agree and have had that very same thing happen to me where I sampled an album, got it and didn't care for it. That's the risk I take whenever I buy something. I have the new Galahad arriving tomorrow, but haven't heard hardly anything from it. Same goes for the new Fish..which will hopefully get here shortly.

E

Edited by E-Dub - September 05 2007 at 20:18
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 18:12
Hey E-dub........ I can promise you the new Fish album is incredible!!!!!

Have fun!
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 20:17

Have fun!

It's killing me!!! I even ordered the deluxe edition with the beautiful artwork by Wilkinson. How does it compare with his other discs? Is it a step up from Field Of Crows?

I did get the latest Marillion FRC from the current tour for Somewhere Else recorded in Poland. Man, were the boys on this particular night! I could do without "The Last Century For Man" and replace it with "The Other Half", however. That being said, it's an amazing show so far. I'm always concerned whenever they do "Afraid Of Sunlight" these days because of h's voice cutting out on the high parts that close the song.  On this night he nailed it.

E
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 20:45

Have fun!

It's killing me!!! I even ordered the deluxe edition with the beautiful artwork by Wilkinson. How does it compare with his other discs? Is it a step up from Field Of Crows?

I did get the latest Marillion FRC from the current tour for Somewhere Else recorded in Poland. Man, were the boys on this particular night! I could do without "The Last Century For Man" and replace it with "The Other Half", however. That being said, it's an amazing show so far. I'm always concerned whenever they do "Afraid Of Sunlight" these days because of h's voice cutting out on the high parts that close the song.  On this night he nailed it.

E

Ugh! I must possess the new Fish cd.   More money to spend.  Of course, I could always illegally download it.  Dead
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 03:24

I even ordered the deluxe edition with the beautiful artwork by Wilkinson. How does it compare with his other discs? Is it a step up from Field Of Crows?

Well, in my view it's a step up from pretty much anything he has ever done..... a couple of tracks I have heard live 3 or 4 times now and they have really sunk in with me, the whole album I have heard maybe 4 or 5 times in total......and I am VERY eager to get my mitts on a copy...... it really is a stunning body of work, really very impressive.

I really think this will open some eyes and make people sit up and listen!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 06:55

The point is, if you work hard and still can't afford the money to buy a CD, I have no problem with you downloading it (call it stealing, I don't care), because either way, the artist making the record has two options:

1) Not getting the money for the album because the person cannot afford it.

2) Not getting the money for the album because the person cannot afford it, but they at least listened to it from a download, and your fanbase is likely strengthened.

Choose your option. Either way, you're not going to get the money.

If people have the money, then the situation is irrelevant. But expecting people to work enough to support their college expenses, living necessities, and also their "new music desire," is unrealistic. If I were the musician I'd rather people like my stuff while hearing it illegally than not even knowing about it.

If Pendragon performs a concert near me, I'll fork over so much cash to see them, but like so many Euro prog bands, they don't have the fanbase or the funds. Now if everybody bought all of their stuff legally, they'd have a lot more cash and could probably make the trip to the USA, but they'd still not come where I am.
The question is, how many people are downloading a Pendragon DVD because they can't afford to buy it (in which case how did they afford the DVD player?) and how many are downloading it when they CAN afford it but are too mean to shell out the cash?
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 07:14
For those of you who are interested in the future of music from Pendragon and other bands..... I have had some success in having torrents removed, I am keeping the folks uptodate with what we are managing to do on the Pendie forum...
http://www.pendragon.mu/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 The thread is here if you wanna read through, page 2 is the latest stuff!

P-C x
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 07:26

The specified request cannot be executed from current Application Pool

Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>