Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe collapse of FOPP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The collapse of FOPP
    Posted: July 03 2007 at 14:57
Anyway else deeply saddened by the sudden closure of the Glasgow-based FOPP chain?     Its music shops were a fantastic resource for prog fans - you could regularly pick up, for a fiver, interesting and obscure stuff

Yet another victim of the market's move to download. last time i was in a Fopp store it was much quieter than before.  
I was there but not aware
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 15:02
Yes it is sad news. I started a thread about this in the 'Discussions not related to music' forum:

FOPP: RIP
kingdhansak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 15:22
Oh no!!! I've only just discovered this shop in nearby Southampton and Brighton. Have only shopped there a couple of times. Was planning many more, what on earth happened? Such a great shop, Stocked so many more interesting titles than HMV and Virgin.
Typical, the moment I find a good outlet for something it closes!!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 15:33
Great shop.......very sad news.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 17:05
The tragedy is that the chain was profitable. It appears though that they stretched themselves a bit too far, especially with the purchase of the Music Zone chain, and lost the support of their investors and suppliers.

Hopefully the administrators will be able to sell at least some of the shops as an ongoing concern. There is a glimmer of hope in that the store managers have all been retained by the administrators meanwhile.

For those outside the UK, Fopp was a fast growing independent music retailer. They stocked a good range of prog, classic rock and other music, with great prices on much of their stock.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 12:24
FOPP was one of my favourite shops. Whenever I went to Edinburgh I'd pick up a few CDs and books, usually without spending too much money.

"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 13:48
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

The tragedy is that the chain was profitable. It appears though that they stretched themselves a bit too far, especially with the purchase of the Music Zone chain, and lost the support of their investors and suppliers.

Hopefully the administrators will be able to sell at least some of the shops as an ongoing concern. There is a glimmer of hope in that the store managers have all been retained by the administrators meanwhile.

For those outside the UK, Fopp was a fast growing independent music retailer. They stocked a good range of prog, classic rock and other music, with great prices on much of their stock.

...and a good price on a whole range of DVD's!Wink
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 09:13

I too am greatly saddened by their closure, I think I've given that company the best part of £3000 since they opened their first store in Bath about 4 years ago (there were two here).

I also think that they probably overstretched themselves. Last time I went on their website (probably last year), I read that they had about 15 shops throughout the country, and now I hear they had about 150. That's very impressive growth.

To conclude, I am quite upset. The best high street music chain around. Also annoyed that they didn't have a sale. Or if they did I wasn't aware of it Dead
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 11:49
HMV snaps up Fopp name and stores

Music and book retailer HMV has struck a deal to buy the Fopp brand and revive six of its stores.

HMV has bought the shops - which will trade under the Fopp name - in Glasgow, Edinburgh, London's Covent Garden, Manchester, Nottingham and Cambridge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6923511.stm
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 12:08

They are apparently to be run independently of HMV. It will be interesting to see if Fopp's mentor (Montgomery?) is involved. Without him, it's hard to see how it will differ from HMV.

Pity only 6 shops will survive though.
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 17:49
Yeah thats quite a poor show. That only leaves an HMV in my nearest town, and I don't think I'll bother gracing them with my presence.

Edited by Paradox - August 02 2007 at 17:51
 Post Reply Post Reply