Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleepytime Gorilla Museum are they geniuses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are they geniuses?
    Posted: July 04 2007 at 14:22
Just finished right now hearing their last album In Glorious Times, and having heard the other two Museum of Natural History and Grand Opening and Closing i wanted to ask your opinion about them. In my opinion they are really nowadays the geniuses of progressive rock. Their work is so intricate and well composed making us feel a varied range of feelings depending on the track we´re into and their virtuosity is probably unmatched.

Of course this is only my opinion but rarely i' ve found a group of musicians with their talent and creativity and intent in doing something really different which for me is very important since nowadays  creativity in music is quite stagnant. Unfortunately bands like these are rarely recognized for their musicianship, but lets get down to business.

So lets open a discussion here, what do you think about Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?
Are they really geniuses or just a group of musicians doing noise?

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 14:29
I wouldnt call them virtuosos.. but their music is truly a work of genius. Probably my favorite modern band when it comes to prog, and definitly my favorite bizzare band in general. Just look at the photo under this text
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
fungusucantkill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 15:33
Personally i love their inovation of instruments. The brick. Pale. Harps, organs, and random electric channels. It makes for interesting music. I really dig them.
To a lot of people its noise. I guess you just look deeper into it. SGM is one of the best when it comes to strange unusual art.
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 15:48
I never use and dislike the word genius, but I think SGM are probably one of the better bands of today doing something worthwile.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 16:06
They are absolute masterliness, truly original and innovative. And one of the weirdest bands, ever.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 16:42

Of course not.

Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Bach, Mozart, Frank Zappa....these artists are geniuses.

There's a rare quality of soul, brilliance, and unfathomably rich songwriting to qualify some artist for genius status, IMO. SGM are talented, but even in the realm of RIO/Avant, their second-rate IMO. Samla Mannas Manna and Univers Zero are are first rate.
Prometheus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 20:50
Stonebeard... its ok, you can like music made after 1979. thanks for mentioning SMM, though, PA samples sound pretty interesting. but it also sounds like they fall on the opposite end of the Avant/RIO sub-group than Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and SGM's side is also that farthest from your other favorites. Sorry to pick on you, but that sort of thing annoys me because of the assumptions it makes about the purpose of music. music is a completely relativistic thing, and being such, the only real thing that matters is how it affects the listener(/player) and only if it can so completely affect the listener(/player) can it be said to be genius, i think. and i also feel that there are few bands, even within the Avant/RIO section, that can so completely twist your perceptions about music, and so viscerally affect you, in the same way as SGM (Fantomas, Unexpect, and maybe Ephel Duath, stand right up there...and yes, i recognize that these all stand on the metal edge of Avante, a side to which i am biased). ever since downloading "sleep is wrong" from their website, i knew it was obvious that there was something incredible to SGM, and although i feel it didn't mature until "in glorious times", i think they are as appropriate as any to carry the term "genius", if the term should be used at all.
(for the record, however, Zappa is the only one of the artists you named that doesn't bore me, and even then he is hit -and-miss. i give credit to them all, especially mozart, but there is more out there...)

well, i was relaxing to sigur ros, but so much for that...
"Tell me why world, unfathomable and good,
The beauty of everything is infinite and cruel."
--Kayo Dot
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:15
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Of course not.

Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Bach, Mozart, Frank Zappa....these artists are geniuses.

There's a rare quality of soul, brilliance, and unfathomably rich songwriting to qualify some artist for genius status, IMO. SGM are talented, but even in the realm of RIO/Avant, their second-rate IMO. Samla Mannas Manna and Univers Zero are are first rate.

LOLLOL Bach and Mozart in same sentence with Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Frank Zappa LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
LeInsomniac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:41
LOLLOL Bach and Mozart in same sentence with Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Frank Zappa LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
[/QUOTE]

Why not? Everyone's entitled to their opinions, I myself like sometimes to think that Frank Zappa, Crimson, Yes and Genesis can be au pair with Bach Mozart Beethoven. All of these entities contributed to the development of music, or inovated in some way, or just made beautiful music that appeals and makes the listener sense something.

But first lets not get away from the theme I proposed, which is, discuss the work of this american group. I myself for example (apart from Zappa and the mothers of invention and Mr.Bungle, hope im not forgetting anyone) think this group is probably the best thing that came out of that country (in what concerns to prog music) and this is my opinion, of course you can say to me i havent listened to everything made from the states, but i've heard enough to tell you that i  wont be changing my opinion at least for some time. 

Its just a matter of opinion, my brother listened to the album In Glorious Times at the same time as myself. I turned to him and sayed "It's been a long time since i listened to an album that made me really hooked on it and i consider this a piece of art" he replied and I quote "It's been a long time since i listened to an album that made me feel the will to throw up!"

God i just wanted to kill that guy...

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:50
^^^^^^
agreed, SGM are the best band to come out from the States, no, better yet, my favorite, in quite some time when it comes to prog... mmm... make that ever, the best band to come out of the States everrrrrrr
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:50
Originally posted by Prometheus Prometheus wrote:

Stonebeard... its ok, you can like music made after 1979.

You really don't know me do you? Just look at what Collab Team I'm on. That should tell you something. Wink

Trust me, I like a lot of metal and avant music. In fact I like just about every band I've heard on PA, to some degree. I just don't think they're geniuses, and I mentioned the bands/artists that I mentioned because they're the prog and non-prog artists that sprug to my mind at the term "genius."

And to the classical elitist (as I assume) who posted the LOLs, you can think Bach and Mozart are miles above everyone else, but I frankly don't care.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:57
I know what you're saying stonebeard.. and Mozart had some crap BTW, so it all evens out.
Yanns View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 23:51
I love SGM. I haven't heard In Glorious Times yet, and god I want to, but going off the previous two, I love the band. They are my favorite RIO band, and (I think) my second favorite American band, behind The Mars Volta.
Prometheus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 00:09
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

And to the classical elitist (as I assume) who posted the LOLs, you can think Bach and Mozart are miles above everyone else, but I frankly don't care.

you realize, of course, that the reason i responded at all was because of exactly this...you came off as exactly such an elitist (but i felt like being a pain).

at any rate,  your right, i didn't care enough to so much as look below your avatar; you fulfilled a stereotype so swiftly that i reacted just as swiftly. consider my annoyance as being directed more to those that actually do think in such a way. (and you must admit, your choices are fairly characteristic of the type... and were delivered in a fairly dismissive manner, " of course not.")
"Tell me why world, unfathomable and good,
The beauty of everything is infinite and cruel."
--Kayo Dot
MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 00:27

They are great and even rank among a lot of bands I think are masters but there are a lot of avant band that I think blow them out of the water.

They are probably one of my favorite of the Avant/RIO genre only bested by Bungle, Hella, Aksak Maboul, Zappa, SMM, and a lot of others...but atleast I will waste my time and money on them.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrreat band.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 00:32
Yes, but did you expect this kind of Spanish Inquisition?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 00:46
Originally posted by Yanns Yanns wrote:

I love SGM. I haven't heard In Glorious Times yet, and god I want to, but going off the previous two, I love the band. They are my favorite RIO band, and (I think) my second favorite American band, behind The Mars Volta.

Uh, thats right, the Mars Volta are also from the States... even though I consider them to be more of a multi national band... still, I think I like the Sleepys a bit more... just a bit
cuoredifalena View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 04:29
i am not a good reviewer so i can only say that the first time i listened to them,i fell in love with their music..and off course the more i listened to them the more i appreciated them..
simply i am so glad that i like their music.. if i only think that... i could have hated them...!!!
does anybody know if they will ever tour Europe..? will they ever come to London?

Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 05:02
Originally posted by Prometheus Prometheus wrote:

you fulfilled a stereotype so swiftly that i reacted just as swiftly. consider my annoyance as being directed more to those that actually do think in such a way. (and you must admit, your choices are fairly characteristic of the type... and were delivered in a fairly dismissive manner, " of course not.")

I guess you don't see how perfectly you fullfill you're own stereotype. Being a 19 year old guy with metal edged prog preferances, and bored by  Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Bach, Mozart, Samla Mannas Manna and Univers Zero. Millions of young men has been there in one way or another before you, and hundreds just in this forum.

You're tastes will change, and maybe sometime you'll give some extra credit to Bach too. You might even start to get bored by SGM and thrilled by UZ.

Edited by Rocktopus - July 06 2007 at 05:57
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 05:47
Originally posted by LeInsomniac LeInsomniac wrote:

So lets open a discussion here, what do you think about Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?
The donkey-headed adversary of humanity opens the discussion Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>