Topic ClosedWolf Mother

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wolf Mother
    Posted: July 07 2007 at 06:15
Hi,

I was watching this live earth festival on Tv tonight and I came across this really cool band Wolf Mother.

Anyone knows them?

The lead singer/guitarist sports an afro and side burns that would've gotten him a spot with the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

The bass player/keyboardist was ripping the keys and producing hammond organ sounds that reminded me of good'old Keith Emerson,not to mention emulating Keith's acrobatic's stage antics.

And the drummer was supper tight and poweful.

Overall their sound is pretty much rooted in the late 60's/early 70's psychedelic space rock vein with a modern twist.They kinda reminded me of The Nice,Blue Cheer,Cream,Hendrix,Atomic Rooster,Steppenwolf,Hawkwind,Iron Butterfly,ect....even a bit of Rush and some Floyd.

Nice to see some young bands like Mars Volta,Bigelf and now these guys finally getting some recognition.Clap

Perhaps there is a future and maybe even a present for musically challenging bands.

What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 06:28

If the band you want to discuss isn't in the archives it goes in Non-Prog Music.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 06:30
There are a few other Wolfmother topics here,like this one:

The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 06:41
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

If the band you want to discuss isn't in the archives it goes in Non-Prog Music.

There are lots of prog bands not in PA yet;

Caramel Mou,
Villebrad
Le pouls
Le Match
Listening
Fred
Spiritual Beggars

ect....
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 06:51
Originally posted by The Rock The Rock wrote:

There are lots of prog bands not in PA yet;

Caramel Mou,
Villebrad
Le pouls
Le Match
Listening
Fred
Spiritual Beggars

ect....

If you feel they merit inclusion here create a topic for those bands in the Suggest New Bands/Artists section.

And Wolfmother aren't prog,they are retro,re-cycled 70's hard rock and glam(just my opinion,of course).

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 10:48

And Wolfmother aren't prog,they are retro,re-cycled 70's hard rock and glam(just my opinion,of course).

Seconded. Although they have some great songs here and there, there are in the same vein,but proggier that deserve a place here more than them. (Titan).

Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 13:21
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

Seconded. Although they have some great songs here and there, there are in the same vein,but proggier that deserve a place here more than them. (Titan).

A correct description, merged with some White Stripes.
I quite like Wolfmother though, they're definitely the best band so far on that Live Earth. Genesis sucked thoughCry despite a good start with "Behind The Lines /Dukes End" (Guess they start all their concerts of this summers tour with that piece.) They're getting old.

Back to Wolfmother. Today they don't count as a Prog band, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'll make an at least prog-related album someday.Thumbs%20Up
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 22:54
wolf mother are real good. I have seen a lot prog as myself enjoy the music. The remind me of rockier Mars Volta.
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Zoot Allures View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 21:37
Enjoyable band. Nothing original but good for the occassional listen.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - Hunter S. Thompson
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 23:52

They sound like some guys who were really into Zeppelin/Sabbath/Deep Purple, but I don't think their music is quite on par with that from the 70s. Still, they're a lot better than most mainstream music out there!

Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 23:56
Wolfmother is a band of Zeppelin wannabe's that play the same old boring styles of rock and roll in order to rip off their "classic rock" heroes. Jody put it best, their sound is very recycled.

Edited by Zappa88 - July 10 2007 at 23:56
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 23:57
Rip off of Black Sabbath riffs, but hey  not many bands are original.
They're decent, and I like some of their songs.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 23:59
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

They sound like some guys who were really into Zeppelin/Sabbath/Deep Purple, but I don't think their music is quite on par with that from the 70s. Still, they're a lot better than most mainstream music out there!

Check out a band called The Sword,they literally drip with Sab/Zep & DP influence and I personally like them quite a bit more than Wolfmother.

kingdhansak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 03:20
Yes, have the album. Awating the second one, not sure when that will be. A few friends have told me that they claim never to have really listened to Black Sabbath - yeh right! Lots of influence there with a smattering of Deep Purple. Nothing wrong with that!
Clap
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 05:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THV23g3z5qU

Big%20smile

Edited by Kotro - August 02 2007 at 06:00
Bigger on the inside.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 12:33

Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

Check out a band called The Sword,they literally drip with Sab/Zep & DP influence and I personally like them quite a bit more than Wolfmother.

I second this motion

and OT, I used to kind of like Wolfmother, something I'm not proud to admit, but now I really just.....don't

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 22:19
its beta than most of the crap coming out of a radio!
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 23:59

[

Which makes you wonder: Why take a Xerox copy when you can get the originals?
yoel? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2007 at 17:09
wolfmother arent bad at all, they arent great but songs like 'where eagles have been' are quite interesting and sort of proggish, i wouldnt say theyre progressive though. They do sound very heavily influenceed by zep and sabbath no doubt, but I wouldnt say theyre a bland copy of them.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2007 at 17:29
I'm reminded of a magazine article in Classic Rock which was called 'Britain Has Forgotten How To Rock'...

Their success, like The Darkness before them, I think is perhaps because I think some forgot what a guitar riff sounded like. In the UK, we have been forcefed a staple diet of lifeless, po-faced NME/'indie'/Coldplay copies, amidst the insipid likes of James Blunt and Katie Melua. You see it on the coverage of rock festivals/events; I see 'Live Earth' was mentioned. The metal act that played in the UK, Metallica, were mocked somewhat by Jonathan Ross; he did the same when Velvet Revolver played 'Live8'. Viewers phoned in to complain about this apparent bias against metal and heavy rock. How many times do you see heavy rock/prog acts on shows like 'Later With Jools Holland' these days as well? It is seemingly not deemed 'cool' or 'tasteful' so it's always good to hear some guitar riffs break through into the mainstream and wake everyone up a bit! Whilst Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Foo Fighters aren't heavy rock as such, their performances at the Wembley 'Live Earth' gig were in such a different orbit in every way to almost everybody else's, IMHO.

As for Wolfmother, there's simply no arguing against the accusations that they are a very derivative band, IMHO. Whilst I find their album enjoyable as a retro-heavy rock album, I don't think the band's influences are filtered very well, really. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple and Pink Floyd are audible throughout, IMHO, and there's one track on there ('Apple Tree') which just IS The White Stripes, as far as I'm concerned.

Unlike The Darkness, though, there isn't that whole sub-plot of 'are they taking the piss or not'; with Wolfmother, it's obvious to me that they genuinely love 70s rock, and the lyrics are free from irony too, IMHO, and as someone who hates that sort of ironic/'Guilty Pleasures' subculture, that's a good thing, IMHO. Nevertheless, I can't help but think that Wolfmother will similarly crash and burn, after a while. But if it's got new fans into Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple etc., thus cutting through attempts to direct them elsewhere, then that's got to be a good thing.

I did read in a recent Classic Rock that one of the band members was listening to ELP's debut a lot and really enthused about it. Perhaps ELP will be thrown in the blender by the next album!!

Edited by salmacis - September 29 2007 at 17:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>