Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStyx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Styx
    Posted: March 01 2005 at 16:09
I have noticed a lot of styx bashing on these boards. What is it exactly that's so horrible about Styx. Personally I like about half of Styx's works songs like "Blue Collar Man" and "Mr Roboto" are great. Why do prog people hate Styx?
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 16:22
I am related to their singer, Larry Gowan, and I STILL hate them. Though Larry Gowan is a good singer, and the only song I've ever heard by Styx was Mr. Roboto, and it kept me away from them, because I hate it so godamn much.

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 16:24

Video:

First, welcome to ProgArchives.  We hope you are enjoying yourself.  There is a great deal to see and do here, including posting reviews, participating in discussions, and starting discussion threads (like this one).

Re Styx, I don't think it is so much that anyone "hates" them (given that at least a few people are bound to hate a particular thing).  Rather, it is more likely a matter of how each member defines the term "prog rock" for themselves, and whether they consider Styx truly "prog" in the sense that that particular member believes.  For example, I personally do not believe that Styx fall under "prog" as I understand that term.  I may even like some of their stuff, but that does not mean I believe it is "progressive" in the definition that I have of "progressive."

Ultimately though, however I - or any individual member - might personally define "progressive," the only definition that "counts" at ProgArchives is the "official" one created by the site's webmasters.  I, and others, can "agree to disagree" about that definition.  However, where the site is concerned - and what bands are included, and what bands are not - that decision is at the sole and exclusive discretion of the webmasters.  They have chosen to include Styx on the site, and although I disagree with that decision, I nevertheless respect it.

Sorry for the long-winded answer...  Hope it's helpful.

Peace.

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 16:44
I don't have any major problem with Styx, as long as they don't make tracks like Babe!LOL
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 16:56

Video: I sincerely hope that your'e not a fan of Phil Collins also, if it is so you will be even more disappointed...

The fact is that those two artist in particular had become the "funny to mess with" in this forum. Nothing personal, is related to the perception of mundanity that they spread around. At least that's how I see it.

Please forgive me for my crappy english!
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 17:02

Babe is one of my favourite Styx songs (*also the only song I know of them).

I am planning on buying a very best of collection, they may be prog-lite, but in a way, that's my taste.
(I like Yes, Marillion, Pendragon, Supertramp, Queen, Genesis, and other melodic bands, so i think Styx might fit nicely in my collection)

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 17:09

tuxon:

Excu-u-u-use me?  You dare mention Styx in the same breath as Marillion, Genesis et al?  A plague on your house!

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 17:22
[QUOTE=maani]

tuxon:

Excu-u-u-use me?  You dare mention Styx in the same breath as Marillion, Genesis et al?  A plague on your house!

You dare to do the same knowingly (I don't know Styx well enough), I'll ask 3fates for a spell or two to cast on you and your record-collection, that it may forever be tainted, with a vague Styx like sound

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 17:34

Marillion, Genesis, Styx, Mariah Carey, Boyzone, Andy Williams, Judy Garland, Westlife, Radiohead, ELP.

That lot should get the whole village cursed!LOL

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 17:52

Easy:

You forgot Peter Frampton.

Peace.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 18:13
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Ultimately though, however I - or any individual member - might personally define "progressive," the only definition that "counts" at ProgArchives is the "official" one created by the site's webmasters.  I, and others, can "agree to disagree" about that definition.  However, where the site is concerned - and what bands are included, and what bands are not - that decision is at the sole and exclusive discretion of the webmasters.  They have chosen to include Styx on the site, and although I disagree with that decision, I nevertheless respect it.

Peace.

Bloody hell Maani,you been a lawyerin a past life? Reminds me of the Sanity Clause sketch from the Marx Brothers "Animal Crackers"

Otis B. Driftwood (Groucho):Fiorello (Chico)

Driftwood: Says, "The party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part."

Fiorello: Sounds a little better this time.

Driftwood: Well, it grows on you...Would you like to hear it once more?

Fiorello: Ah...Just the first part.

Driftwood: What do you mean, the party of the first part?

Fiorello: No. The first part of the party of the first part.

Driftwood: Alright it says the umm..."The first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part, shall be known in this contract...LOOK...why should we quarrel about a thing like this. We'll take it right out eh? (Tears off sections of contract.)

Fiorello: Ha ha, it's too long anyhow! (rip rip) Now what do we got left?

Driftwood: Well, I've got about a foot and a half. Now it says, "The party of the second part shall be know in this contract as the party of the second part."

Fiorello: Well I don't know about that.

Driftwood: NOW what's the matter?

Fiorello: I don't like the second party either.

Driftwood: Well you should have been at the first party, we didn't get home till around four in the morning...I was blind for three days.

Fiorello: Ay...Look, why can't the first part of the second party be the second part of the first party? Thena you got something!

Driftwood: Well look...ah...Rather than go through all that again, what do you say? (Tears off another section.)

Fiorello: Fine.

Driftwood: Now...ah...Now I've got something here you're bound to like. You'll be crazy about it.

Fiorello: No, I don't like it.

Driftwood: You don't like what?

Fiorello: Whatever it is, I don't like it.

Driftwood: Well let's not break up an old friendship over a thing like that! Ready?

Fiorello: Okay. (rip) Now the next part I don't think you're gonna like.

Driftwood: Well your word's good enough for me...Now then, is my word good enough for you?

Fiorello: I should say not.

Driftwood: Well that takes out two more clauses. (rip) Now the party of the eighth part...

Fiorello: No. Nooo. (rip)

Driftwood: No? The party of the ninth...

Fiorello: No, that's no good too. (rip) Hey, how is it my contract is skinnier than yours?

Driftwood: I dunno, you musta been out on a tear last night. But anyhow we're all set now, aren't we?

Fiorello: Ah, sure.

Driftwood: Now just eh...(hands Fiorello a pen) Put your name right down there and then the deal is eh...Then the deal is legal.

Fiorello: Eh, I forgot to tell you. I can't write.

Driftwood: (shaking the pen) Well that's okay, there's no ink in the pen anyhow. But listen, it's a contract, isn't it?

Fiorello: Oh sure. You bet.

Driftwood: We've got a contract, no matter how small it is!

Fiorello: Hey wait, wait! What does this say here? This thing here?

Driftwood: Oh that. Oh that's the usual clause...that's in every contract. That just says...eh...it says...eh..."If any of the parties participating in this contract are shown not to be in their right mind, the entire agreement is automatically nullified."

Fiorello: Well, I don't know...

Driftwood: It's alright, that's in every contract! That's what they call a "sanity clause."

Fiorello: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...you can't fool me. There ain't no sanity clause!

LOL

Oh,suit yourelves-I like it!

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 18:14

Styx did not go in for more progressive sounds.  I think Dennis De Young always considered himself a pop singer. Tommy Shaw gave some hard rock sound to thier later 70's recordings (Grand Illusion and after) that they became radio friendly and received a lot of airplay in turn became very popular.  I like some of their music but I don't listen to them as a prog band.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 18:26
As with Phil Collins, I can't say I have some sort of personal vendetta against Styx, but I would really love to hear why the admins have decided to include Styx into the archives. I don't say that cynically... I would just be generally interested to hear their arguments in favor of Styx. 
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 18:31

Reed Lover:

Absolutely among the most brilliant skits in any Marx Bros. film. 

By the way, although I never went as far as becoming a lawyer (i.e., going to law school and taking the Bar exam), I spent over a decade as a legal assistant (somewhere between a paralegal and an Associate), primarily in contract law.  I also served for 15 years as an Advocate in Manhattan Civil Court, including litigating in tenant-landlord, small claims and civil cases.

Peace.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 18:38

Reed Lover:

Absolutely among the most brilliant skits in any Marx Bros. film. 

By the way, although I never went as far as becoming a lawyer (i.e., going to law school and taking the Bar exam), I spent over a decade as a legal assistant (somewhere between a paralegal and an Associate), primarily in contract law.  I also served for 15 years as an Advocate in Manhattan Civil Court, including litigating in tenant-landlord, small claims and civil cases.

Peace.

And with that paragraph it shows!LOL

Possessed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 19:35
Styx are a band that I like a few songs in their catalog  but the rest I can live without.
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 20:12

I think Styx may be regarded progressive because many people think that synths=prog. When there's really a bit more to it than that

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 20:18

Video:

First, welcome to ProgArchives.  We hope you are enjoying yourself.  There is a great deal to see and do here, including posting reviews, participating in discussions, and starting discussion threads (like this one).

I have been around for about a year (though I just started posting a month ago) I'm familiar with the place

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 20:30
The reason i dislike styx is because i spent years listening to my stepmom play all of thier material almost everyday, usually it would be just one album again and again in one day. I learned to hate them the hard way.
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 23:04

Almost a decade ago, I was in a prog-wannabe band and the bass player suggested covering Styx ... "No" yelled I, having heard only Babe, Renegade and Mr. Roboto ... and then this guy played me Come Sail Away ... for that one, indisputably progressive song alone ... I rate Styx  highly ...

In later years I've got to hear Styx-style prog in songs like Suite Madame Blue, The Grand Illusion and there also some moments like the keyboard solo in Crystal Ball that I would think would appeal to most prog fans ... but there is also a lot of straight-forward FM rock that's little different from the fields that Boston or Foreigner (who had their own great quasi-prog song in Starrider) were ploughing at the time ...

Styx are definitely an uneven band ... even those who like them will make all sorts of qualifying statements

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>