FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis - Rome 14th jul - For Absent Friends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis - Rome 14th jul - For Absent Friends
    Posted: July 16 2007 at 04:48
Just wanted to say some few words for those unlucky people who could not (or didnt want) attend Genesis live concert in Rome last saturday.
It was simply great!
Dont want to discuss about Genesis or non Genesis, with or without Peter Gabriel...
This was absolutely a great show, in a unique place (ancient Circo Massimo) with an audience estimated 500.000 people (but I suspect it was more).
Phil,Mike and Tony in real good shape, showed after many years they can still afford to build up a show which will be very hard to forget for those who were there.
May be the playlist could have been better (in my opinion avoiding songs like Mama or No son of mine, and including songs like One for the vine or Mad Man moon) but at the end I can assure for those who are going to be at the future gigs in the US, this is really worthwhile to be seen.
Last but not least, again Genesis have found in Italy the usual welcome they had since they started their carreer.
Welcome back guys!

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 05:21
How about a bit more info on the gig then L4F.

Set list, running time, solo spots, backing musicians, highlights, visuals, etc.?

Edited by Easy Livin - July 16 2007 at 05:21
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 13:28
There`s pigeons all over the planet it seems. 
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 13:40

Well I enjoyed the Dusseldorf set I saw in a UK cinema immensely and I'm certainly no 'pigeon'. The set-list is really balanced this time around, imho- and I like some of the later stuff and don't care who knows about it. The highlights on the show I saw were, however, 'In The Cage'/'Cinema Show'/'Duke's Travels'/'Afterglow' (a superb version- I actually prefer it in that key it's in now) and was delighted to hear 'Ripples' (my all time favourite Genesis song) and the drum duet/'Los Endos' was brilliant- indeed, the drum solo and 'Los Endos' brought the house down in the cinema showing!Tongue

I understand that this Rome set was the concert filmed for DVD release, and I heard that Tony lost his way a bit on 'Firth Of Fifth' (checked it out on YouTube and he stumbled a little). I think they could have released the Dusseldorf 27th June set, it was flawless. But I'll certainly be getting the DVD of this Rome set as a memento.

As for 'Mad Man Moon', was that ever played live at the time? It's one of only a few tracks of TOTT (the other being the title track itself) that I don't have a live version of.

Edited by salmacis - July 16 2007 at 13:43
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 14:16
Salmacis, I just checked about Mad Man Moon: my bootleg recordings from the ATOTT tour (Pitsburgh 1976) and W&W (Earls Court 1977) both don't contain that song.
luc4fun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 08:39
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

How about a bit more info on the gig then L4F.

Set list, running time, solo spots, backing musicians, highlights, visuals, etc.?

Sorry for lack of information but believe me it is difficult for me to realise what they actually played on that gig and what they left out..(and this is not because I was drunk!LOL)
It all looks like a dream and memories will take time to materialise in my mind..Then I will be able to tell you what actually happened.
I can compare the setlist with some previous shows and I can tell you they didnt play Behind the lines but started with Duke's End.
No Firth Of fifth in full except a beautiful medley introduced by Phil with "canzoni d'annata" (old songs).As for Tony missing the rythm I am not sure it was him...I would rather say Phil made a mistake in this song..
The DVD will be absolutely fantastic as I believe this was the greatest audience for Genesis (more than 500000 people).
I also think this show was chosen for DVD because of the fact it started at 9pm when sunset was darkening the sky and the majesty of the screen behind the band and the images shown, could be fully appreciated..
For those who were there (500.000 pigeons?)  this is something difficult to forget .
Genesis with PG was another story? Could be, but let me say this was also a good show!
Ciao
the dragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 10:36
Hi Luc, I was there, from 3 p.m., just under the stage... omg... 
Still alive...
luc4fun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 12:03
Looking forward to see the DVD...
Site Admin at www.progrockwall.com
the first social network for Proggers!
 Post Reply Post Reply