FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGrobschnitt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grobschnitt
    Posted: March 02 2005 at 14:30

I dont think this band gets mentioned enough.  I own their s/t and Rockpommels Land, both are fantastic, especially RL.  I plan on getting Ballerman soon because I hear the Solar Music song is amazing.  I might as well pick up Solar Music Live, just because of the praise Solar Music gets.  I have very high expectations of that that song, t better not be let down.

so yeah, talk about Grobshnitt and stuff

Aaron

Possessed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 14:33
There's some great songs on Ballerman also (some bad ones too, but I skip those!)
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 00:07

nobody likes Grobschnitt?

Aaron

starofsirius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 01:38
I like them a lot from what I have heard. I heard the Severity Town mp3 off the site and loved it. I can't find their album on amazon though. I'd definitely get it if I could find it.
"I'm in a freefall like a snowflake falling down down down down down."
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 03:28
I got the Solar Music Live album a while ago.....not quite my cup of chai, but it certainly has its moments, and if the live photos are anything to go by, I think they out Tap'ed Spinal Tap

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 10:10

i heard they had a humorous live stage show (using roadies as actors and what not) is that what you mean by out TAPing Spinal Tap

(i thought grobschnitt was a more popular band, apparently i need to make a ELP thread to get any replies)

Aaron

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 10:36
Well I`ve mentioned it before so I`ll mention it again. First off I`ve been a huge Grobschnitt fan since the early seventies and own most of their albums. I attended the show which was recorded for the Solar Music Live album in Mannheim just by chance. By far this is THE Grobschnitt album to have. Try and obtain a remastered CD edition which is missing about 15 minutes from the original vinyl realease as well as the initial CD edition. The album only contains about half the show. I also highly recommend the Volle Molle live album which was recorded a couple of years later. The drawback from listening to a band like Grobschnitt live is that there is so much going on visually during a Grobschnitt show that a lot iof it`s essence is lost when just hearing and not seeing what is going on. As far as I could remember ( I was only 16 years old at the time ) there was a lot of pyrotechnics, lights and props and  a lot of people  tripped out on drugs. It was really freaky but at the time I really didn`t understand much of it.  It was at the time of the release of Rockpommel`s Land and they did a lot of material from that album. They had a recreation of the pteradactyl like bird flying around above the stage at one point.
 These are my favourite Grobschnitt albums:

Grobschnitt (first album)
Ballerman
Merry Go Round  ( Die Schaffts Das Nicht is one of my favourite instrumentals )
Rockpommel`s Land
Solar Music Live
Volle Molle
Illegal
The Last Party Live  (See my review in the archives)

When crazy drummer Eroc  left in 1980 the band sort of streamlined their sound to conform with eightie but still managed to come up with some gems here and there. If you have the money go for Die Groschnitt Story if you really have it for this band. I also have two of EROC`S solo albums but don`t expect them to be anything like Grobschnitt. They`re very weird and contain a lot of speaking parts in German.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 13:55

I like Grobschnitt as well. Although - post 1980 - like  a lot of prog acts they went off the boil a bit. RockPommel's Land is a great LP and Solar Music Live doesn't often get the kudos it deserves in space-rock circles -

mandrake

Possessed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 16:04
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

(i thought grobschnitt was a more popular band, apparently i need to make a ELP thread to get any replies)

Aaron

hilarious

klikka View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 04:28
I like Grobschnitt a lot, and I don't think you will be dissapointed at hearing solar music (studio or live) they're both great!
erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 07:43
Well, I've only really listened to Rockpommel's Land, and after owning it for like a week, I must conclude that this is symphonic prog at it's very VERY best! Totally amazing music !! Not much more to say about that. I can't believe this band isn't more recognized. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 09:09

Originally posted by erlenst erlenst wrote:

Well, I've only really listened to Rockpommel's Land, and after owning it for like a week, I must conclude that this is symphonic prog at it's very VERY best! Totally amazing music !! Not much more to say about that. I can't believe this band isn't more recognized. 

I find Rockpommel is very derivative of Yes (this goes also forJumbo) , and if you must reallyfind out what Grobcshnitt was all about (and especially their own inventive selves , you must try the debut (especially with the live bonus track) and Solar Music Live> both five stars easy!!! 

Grobschnitt were first and foremost a live band (one of my biggest regret is I never saw those three hours shows completes with pagan dancers , bonfires and explosives) and they had a special feeling with the public and lenghty communication with fans during concerts! If you do not understand German (my case) , this can be tedious or even un-interesting !!! But none of that on the live albums?tracks I mentioned here!

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 09:42
Grobschnitt was very popular in Germany mainly due to their live shows. In the beginning they played school auditoriums and small venues. I saw them several times and sometimes they played up to 4 hours. One of their roadies Tony Moff Mollo was a fulltime band member and was responsible for comic action on stage. There were a lot of fun elemnts in their show and they joked a lot with the audience. The second half of the concert was normally 'Solar Music' the long suite from their 'Ballerman' record. On stage it was the  soundtrack to an  orchestrated theatre show with costums, soundeffects and pyrotechnics. I prefer the 'Solar music' version on Ballerman, the live recording of 'Solar music' tends to be a little too long without the visual elements. After the release of their concept album 'Rockpommels land' they became really popular and played in bigger venues, loosing the charme of the early concerts where they integrated the audience.At the end of the 70's they moved into pop-rock. My favourite records are 'Ballerman',' Jumbo' and 'Rockpommels land'.
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

anael View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 18:18

-you should get Jumbo (bonus track edition, wich includes the Jumbo album with english and german lyrics)
-Rockpommels Land
-Solar Music LIVE
-and a great bootleg: Rockpalast Live in Dortmund
M. B. Zapelini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 06:02
Well, "Solar Music Live" is the only Grobschnitt album I've ever got - and it is very good. Highly recommended, I do not think you'll be disappointed.
"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL
 Post Reply Post Reply