FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive Prog-rock is Dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 19:58
Of course Prog Rock isn't dying - I wouldn't be here night after night looking for new bands to listen to and finding out what new albums are being released this week if it was. The title of this thread comes from this line in my opening post almost a year ago:

Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

Playing live once was the life-blood of music. Now it is dying...

...which was simply an observation that fewer people are going to see prog bands play live. Through out this thread there have been several perfectly valid reasons put forward explaining why this is and I accept all of them.

The model is changing - playing live gigs is no longer the only way a band can get recognition and acceptance. Certainly within a narrow market such that Prog currently occupies live gigs are probably the least effective way of promoting yourself, since to amass a fan-base of any size you have to look further a-field than your local neighbourhood - a start-up band cannot embark on a World-tour, but it can reach a global 'audience' via the internet. The trick there is of course is being spotted among the 100,000 other bands all trying to do the same thing.

Edited by darqDean - June 07 2008 at 19:59
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011