Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive Prog-rock is Dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 18:32
^ I hope it doesn't turn out quite the way you put it because that would mean that the quality of music would sharply drop. If music becomes only a promotional tool it will be very bad indeed
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 18:45
^ don't worry - you'll easily spot the change - it will be a heralded by a drop-off in CD sales and a rise in tribute bands.
What?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 21:13
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

^ I hope it doesn't turn out quite the way you put it because that would mean that the quality of music would sharply drop. If music becomes only a promotional tool it will be very bad indeed

The quality of music has dropped. That's why the mainstream is so awful. This is also why CD sales are dropping. The companies with the big money do not take risks anymore. So innovative musicians don't get any support.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 21:14
I know it has dropped already but imagine if all music becomes nothing more than an aural flyer for gigs.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 21:23
If everyone was like me, prog would be the #1 genre

Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 21:36
I wanted to see Tartar Lamb last Christmas (26th actually, in Cleveland, about 1 hour away) but I wasn't able to make it, I begged my parents. Oh well... now I'm sad remembering...
[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/amorfous/astro-1.jpg">

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 21:55
Well, for anyone in my vicinity, California Guitar Trio is going to be in Ann Arbor again on November 3rd. It's a great venue called The Ark.

Edited by bhikkhu - July 24 2007 at 21:55
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 23:16
OK, from now on let's start to focus on lesser and unknown bands, buy their albums (instead of downloading or copying, unless you are out of money) and attend their concerts, this is the first step to support your beloved category, otherwise the focus will remain on Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, ELP and Genesis. Keep in mind that thanks to Prog Archives smaller progrock beauties like Bacamarte, Solaris, Triana, Le Orme, Yezda Urfa and Museo Rosenbach were brought into daylight so there is hope, good luck Thumbs%20Up 
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 12:38
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

OK, from now on let's start to focus on lesser and unknown bands, buy their albums (instead of downloading or copying, unless you are out of money) and attend their concerts, this is the first step to support your beloved category, otherwise the focus will remain on Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, ELP and Genesis. Keep in mind that thanks to Prog Archives smaller progrock beauties like Bacamarte, Solaris, Triana, Le Orme, Yezda Urfa and Museo Rosenbach were brought into daylight so there is hope, good luck Thumbs%20Up 

Right on Erik!

This is a subject that I have thinking a lot about lately. Too much attention on bands who's songs we all know by heart. You have already started with your Symphonic Appreciation thread. I am planning on doing some things to promote hidden gems as well. Let's see if we can find others to join us.

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 12:46
So how many people on average attend prog shows in your area?
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 13:15

Thanks Bhikkhu and I wish you good luck with your great efforts Clap

A few years ago in De Boerderij in Zoetermeer (The Netherlands),
                          capacity at about 600-800 spectators:

- After Crying: 25-30 spectators
- Anekdoten: 150-200 spectators
- Ange: 200-250 spectators

In comparison: Pallas, Ayreon Project and IQ all sold out concerts ..... say no more Unhappy

Edited by erik neuteboom - July 25 2007 at 13:17
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 13:49
Those of you in California, start here when giving lesser known bands a chance:

Dear Hectic Watermelon aficionados,

Saturday 28th Lestat’s

Hectic Watermelon is playing in San Diego this Saturday night with our friends from San Luis Obispo, The Travis Larson band. The show is at the great all ages venue, Lestat’s in Normal Heights, so maybe we’ll see some of you younger wipper-snappers! This may be our last show in San Diego for awhile. 

Epic diva, Nikki Flores 8:30
HWM 9:00-10:15pm
TLB   10:15-11:30pm

Lestat's
3343 Adams Ave
San Diego, CA 92116
(619) 282-0437
www.lestats.com

Mike Keaneally’s School of Rock

Today, we had a fantastic time playing for Mike Keneally’s School of Rock students who are hunkered down in summer camp mode at their new digs here in San Diego. Mike’s San Diego chapter kids have already performed The Wall at three local performances — including the San Diego Fair, so clearly the Master is already showing them the way! We look forward to playing with Mike and his kids in the future!

Northern Cali’ Micro Tour

We are excited to head up the coast in August to play in Monterey on Wednesday 15 August at Monterey Live with the Travis Larson Band opening. We will be in Santa Rosa Thursday, 16 August at the renowned Last Day Saloon. Additionally, we may have something brewing in San Jose on the 17th. It is great step forward to be able to bring our music out of our town to yours, so we look forward to letting you hear and see what we do. We deeply appreciate your efforts to help spread the word about these dates.

Hectic Watermelon at your Private Party!

Given that our Northern Cali’ weekend is not fully confirmed yet, I would like to make the band available for private performances if anyone is willing to host their own Northern HWM party from Friday the 17th to Sunday the 19th. We will be ridiculously affordable if you have good food! Please don’t hesitate to contact me for further info. How totally cool would this be?

Hectic Watermelon in the John McLaughlin Concert Guide

Honored we are to have the opportunity to have our album included as one of a very small number of ads in the sw**ky concert guide for Mr. John McLaughlin’s upcoming Fall tour. We are deeply grateful to our friends at Abstract Logix, Egnater Amlifiers and Ernie Ball guitars who are helping us out with this promotional opportunity. Of course you are all fans of his music, so be sure you check the dates!

Hectic Watermelon on Youtube

Sorry to lag on this so long, but  we finally have some of our concert footage up on Youtube for you to enjoy. Please check them out and pass them around!

Best Wishes,

John Czajkowski

Hectic Watermelon

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
docsolar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 00:54
I'm 2 1/2 hours from any venue.

I wish I could see a band play live...sometime...
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 02:04
The only thing worse than going to a gig and finding sooo few people to share this brilliant music, is struggling to scrape together enough money to support our beloved acts, wishing you could do more...wishing you could change the system; not being able to attend any shows with like-minded people; not being within miles of anyone....anyone who shares your perspective on this form of art: and it's impossible not to express some kind of elitism watching the sh*t that is worshipped these days.  Real musicians are busting their asses just to make a living, while slick marketing schemes and god knows what else skyrockets pimple-faced teenagers into "superstardom".  Those of you who aren't strapped or isolated in creative wasteland, go to your rock and roll gigs, support this form of art, and most of all be thankful and enjoy it...do it for me and do it for all of us who can't share in the experience....

Nothing like catharsis that's for sureOuch

Hopefully when I'm done with school I can do some travelling and go on my progrock pilgrimmage...until then, working to put together extra spending money for prog-spree's will have to do.

cheers and prog on!
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Now your making me feel bad!

Sleepytime gorrila museum came last month and I didnt bother asking my parents to see them.

FOR SHAME!
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 13:43
I don't see why this has anything to do with my thread mentioned in your original post Dean.

I explained why I don't like live performances as much, and that also means I probably buy a lot more CD's than most of you because of that.

It isn't as apocalyptic as you're making out either I don't think. Yeah people download albums, but it's mainly only really popular albums, and let's face it that aint prog!

Eat heartily at breakfast, for tonight, we dine in Hell!!
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 13:45
Because you can't find the obscure bands to download!!!!

(Only a bit of a lie...)
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 13:48
Hahaha

I buy most of the CD's I own. Sometimes I download stuff to see what it's like, if I enjoy it which through my general research before hand I invariably do, I'll go and buy it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 13:53
Originally posted by coleio coleio wrote:

Hahaha

I buy most of the CD's I own. Sometimes I download stuff to see what it's like, if I enjoy it which through my general research before hand I invariably do, I'll go and buy it.

same here... though I must admit I question my sanity when I see albums I have literally spent 1000's of dollars collecting, being so easy to download.   Nothing beats having a hard copy though. Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 13:54
^Amen to that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>