Topic ClosedLive Prog-rock is Dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 14:09
Originally posted by coleio coleio wrote:

I don't see why this has anything to do with my thread mentioned in your original post Dean.
I never said it was - I took this outide your thread because it was not directly related. The responses to your thread indicated to me that people would rather sit at home listening to cd's than go out and see the band play. If I misinterpretted any of those replies then I appologise.

I explained why I don't like live performances as much, and that also means I probably buy a lot more CD's than most of you because of that.
I can understand and respect why you don't go to gigs - but my proposition still holds - If no one goes to a gig, the band doesn't get signed and you cannot buy their CDs.

I don't know how many CD's you or anyone else buys, but I think most of the people here are above the national average when it comes to buying CD's.

It isn't as apocalyptic as you're making out either I don't think. Yeah people download albums, but it's mainly only really popular albums, and let's face it that aint prog!
No, it isn't as apocalyptic as I paint it - but it could be if the trend isn't reversed. I've put on gigs in the past - it is not difficult to book a venue and a few bands, even printing and distributing flyers is easy enough, but motivating people to actually attend is another matter all together.

I disagree that only popular albums are downloaded - read Nick Barrett's thread on the damage done to Pendragon from downloads - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39465&KW=barret

What?
Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 14:35
The recording industry is what's in trouble. I would think that live music would be growing rather than shrinking. The experience of seeing a live show in person is not something that can be uploaded to a computer. If this is not enough to make money, than yes, music will stop being an industry. But there will always be new music...people don't always play music based on the free market's demands. I would think that we'll be seeing a reversal in the way music has been going since the invention of the radio (back from the studio to an emphasis on live music). And, frankly, I'm not at all sure this is a bad thing. It will certainly be different though...music will be more social, and it won't always be very cerebral (before radio, there were essentially three genres: folk songs, bar songs, and classical, which usually lags behind the other two in popularity). The focus will be on a fun live show.
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 19:46
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

I don't see why this has anything to do with my thread mentioned in your original post Dean.
I never said it was - I took this outide your thread because it was not directly related. The responses to your thread indicated to me that people would rather sit at home listening to cd's than go out and see the band play. If I misinterpretted any of those replies then I appologise.

I explained why I don't like live performances as much, and that also means I probably buy a lot more CD's than most of you because of that.
I can understand and respect why you don't go to gigs - but my proposition still holds - If no one goes to a gig, the band doesn't get signed and you cannot buy their CDs.

I don't know how many CD's you or anyone else buys, but I think most of the people here are above the national average when it comes to buying CD's.

It isn't as apocalyptic as you're making out either I don't think. Yeah people download albums, but it's mainly only really popular albums, and let's face it that aint prog!
No, it isn't as apocalyptic as I paint it - but it could be if the trend isn't reversed. I've put on gigs in the past - it is not difficult to book a venue and a few bands, even printing and distributing flyers is easy enough, but motivating people to actually attend is another matter all together.

I disagree that only popular albums are downloaded - read Nick Barrett's thread on the damage done to Pendragon from downloads - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39465&KW=barret

Okay, cheers for explaining what you meant, and a lot of what you say in that post I've quoted above actually explains and clarify's what you mean, so thankyou for the response, most of which I actually agree with.
Eat heartily at breakfast, for tonight, we dine in Hell!!
purplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 19:33
I would love to play even the crappiest of venues and i'd feel pretty lame if no one showed up to see me. I think it's good to support the guys who are trying to keep music alive. (i'm one of them) Prog can never die as long as there are so many people in the prog archives forum. some of us are bound to play a show and get noticed by at least someone, even if they're just fans that appreciate what we do.
for those about to prog, we salute you.
Nicholas Linear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 14:35
Adrian Belew was recently playing IN A COFFEE SHOP (Jammin Java) and I did not even now about it until afterwards.   It was 15 minutes away and I didnt even see it.  I'm still terribly frustrated by this
there are three kinds of people. Those who can count and those who can't
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 03:16
Interesting blog...glad I came across it. Agree with certain points regarding supporting musicians live; if I didn't live in the middle of nowhere, I'd be accessing as much live music as possible. And in particular lesser known bands.

Anyway, tired and fading...must retire to the temporary death known as sleep.
Teh_Slippermenz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 22:02
I'd love to travel to go and see some unsigned progressive rock bands, but:

1. I live in a small town in Michigan, which of course is in the US of A. There are rarely any live acts playing in my area, and if there are, they are nobody, worthless pop acts who's vocalists can't sing a note, and the rest of the band is made of complete and utter suxage. (That one at the festival....why must I be reminded of them? Oh, and not to mention they were so incredibly loud that I heard them fine all the way at the gas station)

2. I can't waste my gas driving all around my state, let alone traveling to other states.

3. I doubt the next Yes, Genesis, or King Crimson will come from America, meaning that the next great prog rock act will VERY likely come from the United Kingdom. Then again, there ARE some Genesis\Yes\King Crimson etc. etc. etc. bands\singers coming from this country...

But you made a point anyway. That's how Genesis was discovered! (...Along with their songs being played on FM radio...BACK WHEN IT HADN'T SOLD OUT AND DJS COULD PLAY WHATEVER THEY WANTED) People read about Peter Gabriel's incredible stage act and people flocked to this new band from England like sheep to a Shepard.

Edited by Teh_Slippermenz - September 17 2007 at 22:05
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 17:02
This is a fascinating read. Thanks darqdean and all who have contributed.

I'd love to go to more concerts, but living in New Zealand makes things very difficult. We get only the very biggest acts, and few of them are prog (though I did go to THE MARS VOLTA this year and will be at the MUSE concert in a few weeks' time). At the other end of the scale are local NZ prog bands like JAKOB (check them out if you're into post-rock) but you have to keep a very close eye on them to find out when and where they're performing, and then take a six-hour trip by car.

Europe seems to be the place to live. I'm tempted ...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 17:13
gonna see Sleeping People at the end of this month
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 23:11

A small story:

A few weeks ago there was the Dutch Symforce Festival in the O13 venue in Tilburg, organized by Belgian proghead John 'Bobo' Bollenberg. The line up not only included known and experienced progrock bands like The Flower Kings, Riverside, Focus and Pendragon (on the main stage) but also lesser known and unknown new progrock bands like Beardfish, Lazuli and Bootcut (on the two other smaller stages). In the end I was not only delighted about Focus and Riverside their performances but also carried away by Beardfish and Bootcut their gigs: young and unknown new progrock bands that played inspired and enthousiastically for a small but grateful audience. It reminded me of the books I read about the early years of the Genesis when they performed in very small venues, sometimes for less than 10 progheads. But starting like that and then play and play and play and being on the road, doing the endless rehearsals is the perfect way to develop into a band like 70-77 Genesis. Unfortunately nowadays bands hardly get the opportunity to play gigs so I am very glad with the Symforce Festival. John told us that he intends to make it an annual festival but the tricky thing is that usually the average proghead only comes for known bands. And these relatively expensive bands (like Focus, The Flower Kings and Pendragon) make it very difficult for a break-even result, also on the Symforce Festival that needed 1300 but only 1000 bought a ticket. This means that the next time John has to play more safe, I hope this will mean that more lesser known and unknown new progrock bands will get a chance. So the most important thing is that the progheads are willing to support these bands, otherwise John his wish to make the Symforce Festival the European answer to the annual USA progrock festival Progfest and Nearfest will turn into a failed attempt.
I am positive about it because thanks to Prog Archives progheads from many countries encouraged each other to visit the Symforce Festival inthreads on teh Forum and in the end PA members from the UK, Portugal, France, Belgium and many from Holland teamed up, great Clap But to be continued?

Edited by erik neuteboom - October 11 2007 at 23:14
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 06:51
^Small addition here - from the chat with Bobo at the end of the festival: he's concinced that the first edition of an event is not the right one to judge feasibility, so chances are that Symforce 2008 will take place. However, if the second one doesn't reach break even, chances of edition three are very low....
Of course, this only holds if the 013 venue, who were heavily investing in Symforce 2007, agree with Bobo's views.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Sydwaters View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 23:55
You need the pop sensibilities of the Beatles and the brilliance of Pink Floyd. Then again I'm waiting for that combination to happen. Be happy some of the most influential and biggest selling albums of all time are either proto prog of progressive rock. Sgt Pepper and the Dark Side of the Moon.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 03:05
Originally posted by Sydwaters Sydwaters wrote:

You need the pop sensibilities of the Beatles and the brilliance of Pink Floyd. Then again I'm waiting for that combination to happen. Be happy some of the most influential and biggest selling albums of all time are either proto prog of progressive rock. Sgt Pepper and the Dark Side of the Moon.
That's way off topic dude. Shocked This thread is about peoples reluctance to go to live gigs that keep prog music (a)live.
What?
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 03:48
I find it weird, I was in college in the golden years of the late 80's when you could prog-out virtually everyweekend, and indeed that is exactly where the pennies went, The Marquee, The Town & Country , The Royal Standard,  gig after gig after gig........fabulous!

It's not just the venues that have changed, but the punters have, as too have the bands........& I wouldn't necessarily be convinced about bands 'making money' by gigging.  Ermm 

But, it would be nice to see more of not just the numbers, but the vibe that we used to se at gigs, there seems to be too much cynicism around,fake blase and 'too kool 4 skool' kind of attitude, and personally I think it sucks.

I also think the "buy CD's if you can afford them if not d/l them"  attitude from Erik sucks, but I will do off topic if I talk about that one.

P-C
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 05:46

Strange Darqdean, I joined your thread with an inviting post but you react on a post that was off-topic and you complained about that. In fact that's typical for how it often works here on Prog Archives, negative posts got way more reactions than positive reactions!

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 06:18
alluding to your original post Dean you are right - these days i see many 1st division bands in safe major venues near home but i would like to see some sunday league players too, one reason i guess people don't see struggling fledgling bands, least of all Prog, but all too often they have to play in some dodgy backwater, really in these times travelling to these places late at night is a risk for anybody with or without a car.  a friend of mine plays in an indie band but though i have often wanted to see him they are in some very dodgy areas, i even see people leaving big venues early (11pm) to start their journey home.
one suggestion would be to bring back the weekend or Sunday small band Festival like in the old days, but not in a muddy field miles from anywhere but an easily accessable venue, though some work would have to be done on publicity if it were to be a Prog festival, and a very brave financial backer - they did it successfully in Holland (and Market Square Heroes in Aylesbury) , i wish it could work here. Smile

Edited by mystic fred - October 17 2007 at 06:19
Prog Archives Tour Van
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 10:13
One thought that has occured to me through the day (obviously not the only thought, but you know one thought about this subject...Embarrassed ) was that an awful lot of folks when defending torrenting or illegal downloading tend to say that it has a huge promotional effect, that it helps to widen the fan base of bands. Surely if this were the case (and you know that I maintain it is not) then we would see an upturn rather that a decline in audiences?

Just a thought.

PCx
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

One thought that has occured to me through the day (obviously not the only thought, but you know one thought about this subject...Embarrassed ) was that an awful lot of folks when defending torrenting or illegal downloading tend to say that it has a huge promotional effect, that it helps to widen the fan base of bands. Surely if this were the case (and you know that I maintain it is not) then we would see an upturn rather that a decline in audiences?

Just a thought.

PCx

I don't know that there is or has been a downturn in attendance at music shows. If you have any numbers, I'd love to see them. It's only natural that some would see the Live concert biz as doing badly because their favourite band can only draw a few hundred people to a show. I saw Erik's posts re : the different draws from Anglagard, Ange & Anekdoten compared to Pallas, Ayreon & IQ.

And although I'd die to see an Ange concert, I can see why they aren't the biggest draw outside of France, and even within their nation, their "prime" time is long past.
I'm surprised that Pallas did well, but Ayreon & IQ seem to be doing well these days. Indeed, if it wasn't for the fact that Prog Montreal rescheduled their festival to the Saturday & Sunday instead of the original Friday & Saturday nights, I had made plans for a road trip up to Montreal to see the Strawbs the 1st night & then IQ the next night. And by all accounts, the festival was a success, with plansa already in the works for next year.

One thing we should keep in mind is that niche bands will not sell out 1000 seat halls in too many places outside their home country. And most prog bands are niche with a capital N. The better ones can build up their fan base over time. But expecting those who we consider to be of a higher artistic level to automatically transfer that "talent" into attendance is not realistic. Gentle Giant never played to the same crowds that Yes & Jethro Tull did. And I would be surprised to find out that any RIO/Avant-Garde group or Krautrocker played a show on their own to major audiences (i.e. not including festivals).
So just stating that we attend any & all shows to support a burgeoning scene is not a solution. But if a band that you like come by your town, by all means buy a ticket. Especially for the smaller bands. That's how the punk & indie/alt scenes keep healthy.
Now mind you, I'm in Moncton NB, so I can easily say that knowing that hardly any prog groups come through here. LOL Although we do have a healthy metal, punk, country & alternative scene.

Edited by debrewguy - October 17 2007 at 21:30
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 06:44

I disagree that only popular albums are downloaded - read Nick Barrett's thread on the damage done to Pendragon from downloads - [URL=http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39465&KW=barret]http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39465&KW=barret

I've debated Nick Barrett and other members of the Pendie forums on the points Nick makes about filesharing. While I don't doubt that Pendragon are losing money, something which concerns me greatly, he oversimplifies things when he attributes such losses to filesharing alone. At one point he listed the number of downloads a Pendragon discography had and says "that's £X that we've lost", which just isn't true.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 09:46
Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

I disagree that only popular albums are downloaded - read Nick Barrett's thread on the damage done to Pendragon from downloads - [URL=http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39465&KW=barret]http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39465&KW=barret

I've debated Nick Barrett and other members of the Pendie forums on the points Nick makes about filesharing. While I don't doubt that Pendragon are losing money, something which concerns me greatly, he oversimplifies things when he attributes such losses to filesharing alone. At one point he listed the number of downloads a Pendragon discography had and says "that's £X that we've lost", which just isn't true.
Yes, it is true that the downloader would not have bought every album in Pendragon's discography , but the fact is the downloader now has a copy of every album in their possesion which they never paid for. If he/she/it owns them then they should pay for them, ergo, the Pendies are pennyless. The thing is, Barrett is allowed to oversimplify things, he owns the rights to the music, he created it, he paid for it to be recorded and produced - it belongs to him. It really is that black and white - there are no grey areas other than in the minds of people who have done wrong and are trying to justify it.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>