FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlmuadem release first album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almuadem release first album
    Posted: July 23 2007 at 12:16

Almuadem a Portuguese progressive band just finish their album and it´s Available for free Download - Almuadem - Nimrodel - http://www.myspace.com/almuadem

" Almuadem are a Portuguese progressive experimental band by Andre Pousadas, Gustavo Marques and Thomas Belpalme that is earning recognition as pioneers of Hyper-sensibility music. Almuadem are known for the philosophical terms, keyboards, guitars and drums experimentation, pos-caos music and innovative cover art.
Andre Pousadas, once commented: "You can label us as you want ... but be aware of a thing in the right of Father there are two chairs, one mine and another one of Gustavo. We do not "use" anything. We "create" everything" "
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 14:54
A few thoughts on this:

1) The title of this topic is severely misleading.

2) Pseudonyms are always a bloody mess. While I can't guarantee that this is the same group (a change in name usually indicates a diference in members), it appears clear that this is brought by the same mind(s) that introduced us to Egyptian Kings and Almagest.

3) I downloaded the album and listened to it twice. Hardly ideal to make a full, pondered judgement, but just enough to make a few considerations.
a) Comparing Nimrodel to Almagest, I'm glad to see an hear that the "rock" part in "progressive rock" has this time been taken into account. It seems a more complete recording, and I confess that, after two listens, I seem to enjoy Nimrodel quite a bit more. However...
b) I listened to the album twice in a row, as stated previously. The first time as simply background music, the second devoting my complete atention to it. Again comparing it to Almagest, I found it a bit too strong and intrusive to serve just as soothing, simple ambient music. Yet the second listen made me feel the album could still not hold on his own.
c) Read the two versions (PT and EN) of the text that serves as companion to the album. I must confess the music didn't quite pass the feeling it was intended to as described in the text. About those, I must say that the english version has some minor flaws, which are forgivable. What is unforgivable is the appalling quality of some parts of the portuguese text.  
d) If the band and album are introduced in the Archives (which I believe have merit enough to be so), I request, first of all, that some though be given to where they should fit, unlike what happened with Egyptian Kings and Almagest. Secondly, if this is to be indeed induced, I hope the overhype and shameful manipulation of ratings that Almagest suffered is not repeated in this one. Let the album be judged by what it is. And should begin by denouncing the above post - indeed, unless you have lived shut in a cave during the last 30 years, you will hear nothing "pioneering" or see anything "innovative".

All in all, I admit to have found this album a dash more tasteful and carefully arranged. But then again, I still need to listen to it a few times more.
Bigger on the inside.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 03:23
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

1) The title of this topic is severely misleading.

I agree with this, the thread should be moved to somewhere else.

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

...I request, first of all, that some though be given to where they should fit, unlike what happened with Egyptian Kings and Almagest.

I disagree with this statement. The Psych team gave quite much thinking for this album and band, and we decised that they fit to Psych / Space Rock genre better than any other genre available. We concidered as space music with rock elements tamed down to simple drums and bass lines from the conventional "Space Rock". Also the strong presence of flute made them more organic than electronic. You don't have to agree with our decision, but I'm not going to agree with you claim that they were included to archives with out given any thoughts to the subject. Thanks.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 03:47
The thread title has been updated, and the thread moved to the appropriate section.

Edited by Easy Livin - July 24 2007 at 03:48
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 05:43
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

You don't have to agree with our decision, but I'm not going to agree with you claim that they were included to archives with out given any thoughts to the subject. Thanks.

Ah yes, we had this discussion before. I'm afraid I may have expressed myself the wrong way. What I meant was that they shouldn't be mislabeled like Egyptian Kings (since I still think Egyptian Kings were wrongly placed, even though I know you guys must have put some thought into it) - I agree that the way I put it sounds more like an insult to the admission team than a criticism of their mistake: I apologize for that.
Anyway, didn't we have an Experimental/Post-Rock section for things like these?
Bigger on the inside.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 07:17
^ Ok, thanks! Smile The genre definitions can always be discussed though. Chamberry is participating in both Experimental / Port-Rock and Psychedelic team, I can ask his thoughts about this.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 17:35
Thanks Prog-PT! I'll download the album and give it a listen later today. It looks promising (and I like the cover art too. Tongue).

As for Egyptian Kings being in the wrong place, I think they fit well under the Space Rock genre. We were thinking about adding them under Progressive Electronic, but they had a bit more rock than the standard Prog Electronic bands (at least the ones I know of) and so we added them under the Space Rock genre. They do have some slight post-rock moments here and there (they're actually quite rare), but not enough to be included under the post-rock genre.

Prog-Pt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 19:10
The theme, 4. "Dial D for Dream", is some sort of... ShockedShockedShocked
Amazing! Clap
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 06:04
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

Thanks Prog-PT! I'll download the album and give it a listen later today. It looks promising (and I like the cover art too. Tongue).

As for Egyptian Kings being in the wrong place, I think they fit well under the Space Rock genre. We were thinking about adding them under Progressive Electronic, but they had a bit more rock than the standard Prog Electronic bands (at least the ones I know of) and so we added them under the Space Rock genre. They do have some slight post-rock moments here and there (they're actually quite rare), but not enough to be included under the post-rock genre.

We've covered that, Chamberry, I'm not touching the spot anymore. But about the Experimental/Post-rock connection, I was refering to this new work, not Egyptian Kings. What do you think?
Bigger on the inside.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 11:04
^^^ Gotcha.

After the first listen Almuadem do have a bit more post-rock in them and a bit more rock as well. I'll need to keep listening to them to make a clearer decision. Whatever it is, they do deserve a place here in PA.

Prog-Pt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 12:00
"Portugal Progressivo – Associação Cultural is proud to announce that the Portuguese Band ALMUADEM has just released its debut album, entitled "Nimrodel".

"Nimrodel" is a conceptual work, introspective, based on the creation of atmospheres and sonic textures of a deep emotional richness, and that can be somehow classified under the Symphonic, Experimental and New Age styles.

The band has turned its full album available for download, along with guidelines and artwork. Just follow this link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/44460214/Almuadem_-_Nimrodel__2007_.rar.html

You can also visit the band in its Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/almuadem

PP-AC supports the release of this album, and congratulates ALMUADEM for its aesthetics and philosophy of its music, clearly impregnated by the "Progressive" spirit that this Association intends to promote and divulge."

Link

Post Reply Post Reply