Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Faust Tapes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Faust Tapes
    Posted: July 23 2007 at 23:48
Faust is one of those bands that you either love or hate. When I bought the Classic Rock Magazine Prog issue, they had one of the most 20 Maddest Prog albums, one of them was The Faust Tapes. So I decided to buy the album on iTunes. When I first heard the album, I almost wanted to stop playing the album because it was really, I mean really weird and reminded me of Trout Mask Replica! But I heard it the second time and it was pure brilliance it was sort of like a Krautrock version of Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica. Highlights are Flashback Caruso an acoustic song and Ja'l max aux Dents with them repeating the phrase for six minutes. So I was wondering how would you descibe The Faust Tapes
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 00:40
I enjoy Faust Tapes a lot, although I enjoy the version "Ja'l max aux Dents" 71 Minutes of Faust more. 

Faust IV is their masterwork.  It's consistent from begining to end.  I need to listen to their debut, but having listened their other albums, Faust IV and 71 Minutes of Faust stand out from the rest. 

You should check out In Autumn the new box set if you wish to listen to their early material in dolby sound quality. 
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 02:55
It has some great parts, but is really incomplete as an album. It seems lazily put together, and poorly produced. Faust IV is much better. (I haven't heard anything else yet)
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 07:45
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

You should check out In Autumn the new box set if you wish to listen to their early material in dolby sound quality. 

You sound like a Dolby salesman! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply