Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre you Experienced? Jimi Hendrix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Does the Jimi Hendrix Experience belong here?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [26.19%]
62 [73.81%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 03:30
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by meinmatrix meinmatrix wrote:

Jimi plays blues. Smile

Like nobody played it before ... Big%20smile

Stevie ray vaughn is probably 80 times better though...

I would rather see stevie hear then JimiBig%20smile

i don't think SRV himself would have even remotely agreed with that daft comment...Confused

Edited by mystic fred - August 02 2007 at 03:33
Prog Archives Tour Van
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 20:07
SRV is in no way 80 times better than Jimi! Secondly, Nine to the Universe is Jimi's most progressive album, then perhaps Electric Ladyland.

Hendrix, although primarily a blues guitarist, started to evolve his sound into free-form jazz rock, like in the sessions which eventually became Nine to the Universe. Add to that the influence of prog bands like ELP, and it was evident that he was headed in that direction. Hendrix was even considering joining ELP (HELP) before he died.

As for the question of whether or not Jimi belongs in the Prog Archives, I still voted no, but it's not because his music was not progressive enough. It certainly was, but he died before "prog Hendrix" could become a reality. It's yet another of those "what ifs" had he lived.
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 23:07
Love JIMI but he is records aren't prog so that means NO!!!!!
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 23:14
reading the last couple of posts.... remember.... it is a NON prog category he is being considered for.

The question isn't whether he was prog.... but rather if he significantly influenced the development of prog rock.

Edited by micky - August 02 2007 at 23:15
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 13:03
Jimi signficantly influenced everybody.  I don't think that you claim that any part of that influence was somehow more relevant to prog than anything else.  Hence, I think he should be excluded.
Kaizer_O View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 04:49
1983 was the closest thing to prog Jimi ever played imo, though that's not a song that a lot of people remember him by. I suspect he might have made full-blown prog, had he lived longer (he almost joined ELP, mind you).
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 05:16
He deserves to be here of course. "Third stone from the sun" is a another prog piece (from "Are you experienced?").
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 05:17
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Jimi signficantly influenced everybody.  I don't think that you claim that any part of that influence was somehow more relevant to prog than anything else.  Hence, I think he should be excluded.

There are a lot of prog bands with a strong hendrixian influence, such as "Guru guru".

Edited by oliverstoned - August 13 2007 at 05:17
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 23:19
A lot of you have a very shallow knowledge of what Hendrix was really about and about the amazing prog-rock songs he put out in addition to his more well known blues and pop-hard rock stuff. Hendrix along with Zappa, Fripp, Pink Floyd, Soft Machine, Procol Harum and the Beatles invented prog-rock. One thing Hendrix had over many artists on this site is some very real lyrics.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 23:28
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

A lot of you have a very shallow knowledge of what Hendrix was really about and about the amazing prog-rock songs he put out in addition to his more well known blues and pop-hard rock stuff. Hendrix along with Zappa, Fripp, Pink Floyd, Soft Machine, Procol Harum and the Beatles invented prog-rock. One thing Hendrix had over many artists on this site is some very real lyrics.

This is a very unfair thing to say. If many people here don't think Hendrix is prog, it is because their view of what constitutes prog is not the same as yours. We are talking about art, not hard science, and art is a very subjective thing. Many of the members of this site have an incredibly extensive knowledge of music, so I think that calling their knowledge "shallow" is very untrue, as well as slightly rude.

Edited by Ghost Rider - September 13 2007 at 23:29
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 23:31

I think you should revisit the definition of prog rock.
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 23:36
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

This is a very unfair thing to say. If many people here don't think Hendrix is prog, it is because their view of what constitutes prog is not the same as yours. We are talking about art, not hard science, and art is a very subjective thing. Many of the members of this site have an incredibly extensive knowledge of music, so I think that calling their knowledge "shallow" is very untrue, as well as slightly rude.
OK, from reading these posts some have a good knowledge about Hendrix and some don't, I was referring to the one's that don't.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 23:44
Hendrix didn't influence Prog, he was influenced by it, but died before he could make a substantial contribution to the fledgling form.   In fact, many of the 'prog rock' artists were moving away from the music of Hendrix and others.  He didn't influence the majority of prog musicians at the time and didn't have the chance to participate in it.  He is neither ProtoProg nor ProgRelated.

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 18:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Hendrix didn't influence Prog, he was influenced by it, but died before he could make a substantial contribution to the fledgling form.   In fact, many of the 'prog rock' artists were moving away from the music of Hendrix and others.  He didn't influence the majority of prog musicians at the time and didn't have the chance to participate in it.  He is neither ProtoProg nor ProgRelated.

Clap
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 18:41
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

ClapClap

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 19:10
Jimi was "Blend[ing] characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog" before "Prog" really even existed... sort of in a way (before the movement was recognised). Now that's progressive! Wink

But he's not suitable for Proto-Prog, nor does he really fit the Prog-related definitions.  Perhaps there should be a new category for such artists?  Like maybe "Not Prog"? or "Not Progressive Rock, but not crap either"?

Like his music muchly... Band of Gypsies is my favourite project of his, and I must say that I've always associated him with progressive rock music to an extent even if I don't think he fits this site as it now stands.

Cream is more closely related to Prog, imo.  Yeah, I always mention that even if it's rather a case of apples and oranges.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

...if he significantly influenced the development of prog rock.

From the view point of psychedelic prog and krautrock, it was fundamental IMHO. Smile
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:20
Hendrix Created Blues-rock, and influenced Later Psychedelic/Hard-rock bands, IMO
So, my answer is: NO!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 20:41
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

...if he significantly influenced the development of prog rock.

From the view point of psychedelic prog and krautrock, it was fundamental IMHO. Smile

hmmmm....I'm in the camp that his influence ...undenialby .vast influence is due to his guitar playing which transcends prog.. . not his music.

Eetu... let's be frank here....  lets not lose sight of history with the way we have divided prog into discreet sub-genres here at PA's .   WE have decided there is such a thing as psych prog for example.  Everything in prog has derived from Floyd, King Crimson and the other masters...   did Hendrix directly influence them musically.  If so, then he should be in,  I just  don't see it... or hear it.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 21:05
Interesting point Micky.

Hendrix toured with Floyd in 1967 and obviously they heard each other's music a lot, yet I cannot hear any Hendix influence in Floyd or vice versa.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>