FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPolitical discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 303>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 14:12

At least Barack isn't establishing any high expectations for himselfWink

About Bush...I don't think he's the evil dictator that the vicious American left-wing thinks he is, but he is far from being a good president in my mind.  I do think he did a better job than the two alternatives could have; I just hope the new administration have their stuff together, and that their need for fame and attention doesn't interfere with running the country. 

Edited by jimmy_row - January 20 2009 at 14:13
Signature Writers Guild on strike
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 16:27
I'll be glad to be talking about something and someone other than Bush.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 16:42
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

I'll be glad to be talking about something and someone other than Bush.

who??? LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 17:39
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

At least Barack isn't establishing any high expectations for himselfWink

About Bush...I don't think he's the evil dictator that the vicious American left-wing thinks he is, but he is far from being a good president in my mind.  I do think he did a better job than the two alternatives could have; I just hope the new administration have their stuff together, and that their need for fame and attention doesn't interfere with running the country. 

Speaking as a member of the vicious American left-wing, we never considered Bush to be an evil dictator, however when people in government are dedicated to the proposition that government can't ever do anything right rather than a government should be of by and for the people instead of just run for the benefit of the wealthiest citizens, that's exactly what you get.  That is why things aren't even working out well for even the most well off in this country anymore, they've become leeches and the host is reeling.  Everyone does better when everyone does better.  What I will remember the GW Bush administration for most is putting political power over the best interests of the people, torture, eroding  the Constitution, dropping the ball on 9/11, invading an admittedly bad country on false pretext, crony appointments, subversion of the justice department...

Sir, these are not things driven by hate but rather a recognition that this presidency has not been a good thing for this country unless you are part ot the elite and in many cases even if you are.

OK on the positive side, he did make some new marine reserve areas.  See, I can say something nice. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 20 2009 at 17:42
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 18:15
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

What I will remember the GW Bush administration for most is putting political power over the best interests of the people, torture, eroding  the Constitution, dropping the ball on 9/11, invading an admittedly bad country on false pretext, crony appointments, subversion of the justice department...

Sir, these are not things driven by hate but rather a recognition that this presidency has not been a good thing for this country

what I will remember...  a President that for a fleeting time had this country as one.  We all felt together and as one...  yet I will remember him not as a compassionate conservative.. but a great divider.  Who took that time of national unity to pursue a highly ideological policy. 

the bad thing of that... anyone with half a rational brain knew it was disaster coming.  Iraq was only held together by Hussein.. and once he was toppled...  the old Sunni Shia hatred would be uncorked.  I expected that the leaders that 49.9% of this country elected to be President would be smarter than a college drop out... maybe it helped I have been there.  None of them had..  but one... and they sure as hell didn't listen to him.

goodbye W.   I could only wish he had remourse for all the hate letters he got from dead servicemembers families... but he never lost faith in his convictions.  To the phony tough and brave.. that is a trait to be admired.  In a LEADER...  you need to be able to adjust..  reconsider... and recognized FACTS.. not a gut instinct.

it would not be an understatement .. that I.. as an American.. a veteran... and a proud American think this day he.. and his kind of hate and divsion mongers left Washington is a great day for us all.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 18:27
I'm still astounded anyone voted for Bush Jr. ..his dad yeah, but not him

rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 18:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

against gore and kerry?  its not all that surprising
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by rpe9p rpe9p wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

against gore and kerry?  its not all that surprising

Yeah. I would pick almost anyone over Gore and Kerry.LOL

I'm not going to make any predictions yet. It's WAAAAAAAY too early for me to judge Obama when he hasn't done anything yet. Although I hope he ends up making decision that are good for this country.
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 19:47
I'm really proud of our country for electing a black president.  I just hope he doesnt go crazy with spending with the democrats in congress and I hope he surrounds himself with people who know more than he does about foreign policy.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 20:10
As a "foreign" veteran of the political world, what I saw today was truly incredible. If i had stated in 1979 that the Berlin Wall would tumble in less than 10 years, I would have bben put into a mental hospital. If i would have opined in 1979, that in 30 years there would be an African-American president, I would have had the key to the asylum thrown away! Whatever Obama is , he does possess youth, energy, passion, intelligence and I presume, the absolute ability to convince with some pretty good oratory (not exactly a GWB forte). Ultimately, he will have no choice than to prove himself, WITH RESULTS as opposed to being just another power-tripping president (you guys have had a few of those already!) Times, they are a truly a changin'  . Theme from Shaft kicks in........
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 07:09

A Farewell Salute ...

TMW01-21-09originalimage.jpg

LOLClapClapClap
Clap

You know, I woke up this morning feeling a lot more positive about the future.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 21 2009 at 10:28
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 10:07
The optimist in me says that the new Pres sounds like a decent enough bloke. The pessimist in me says that if things sound too good to be true, they usually are. There, that's hedged my bets.

However there has always been one constant in elections - US or UK, and that is the voting public. I have a saying that goes along the line of - the government are representative of the electorate who get what they deserve.

And. If you didn't vote, don't complain.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 17:21

A Farewell Salute ...

LOLClapClapClap
Clap

Yes, I suppose you can finally get one with your life and set about improving it, since you didn't have that chance for the last 8 years.Stern Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 17:22
Originally posted by limeyrob limeyrob wrote:

The optimist in me says that the new Pres sounds like a decent enough bloke. The pessimist in me says that if things sound too good to be true, they usually are. There, that's hedged my bets.

However there has always been one constant in elections - US or UK, and that is the voting public. I have a saying that goes along the line of - the government are representative of the electorate who get what they deserve.

And. If you didn't vote, don't complain.

I don't think I could have put it better myself.Clap

Edited by birdwithteeth11 - January 21 2009 at 17:22
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 17:24
Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

A Farewell Salute ...

LOLClapClapClap
Clap

Yes, I suppose you can finally get one with your life and set about improving it, since you didn't have that chance for the last 8 years.Stern Smile

It didn't last long, now I'm feeling pessimistic again, Cry thanks. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 21 2009 at 17:25

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 17:28

Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

A Farewell Salute ...

LOLClapClapClap
Clap

It didn't last long, now I'm feeling pessimistic again, Cry thanks. LOL

Oh, anytime. Two of my favorite hobbies are bugging the hell out of telemarketers and crushing people's hopes and dreams.LOL
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 20:47
Let's hope Obama can truly right the myriad wrongs created by the evil Bush administration.  It may take a while.  I do think he has an opportunity to undo the damage done by Bush.

I had high hopes for Jimmy Carter; he seemed a decent enough sort with good intentions.  The country was coming off years of Vietnam, Nixon (talk about evil), and other assorted bad times.  The times were so bad that Tony Orlando and Dawn had a TV show, not to mention Top 40 hits.  But Carter was in the end utterly incompetent. 

This is my only fear with Obama:  that he talks a very good talk and walks a walk that would get the rest of us arrested for DUI. 

I don't mean to be negative about this.  I have good expectations...I'm hoping it's not because the bar had been set so low with Bush. 

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 09:36
Yeah right,  let's hope...

His executive order to close the Guantanamo prison speaks volumes. Out of all our problems the civil rights of terrorists is the most pressin one.

The first proposal on the path to get us out of recession he's contemplating seems to be wrong at its core. Giving $500 to every single taxpayer won't do anything, it has been tried a couple of times before. Someone who makes $100K could hardly notice it. Instead the money hsould have been allocated to the needy, working families with children living on $25K a year. They could find a proper way to spend it. But in the most vivid display of bipartisanship, Obama distributes the funds evenly to please the Republicans. Nice.

To be fair, it won't be his fault if he doesn't get us out of this economic mess. With our unrestricted consumerizm and our over-consumption reaching the unseen levels when it became super-extra-many-times-over-consumption, there is no way to stimulate it any further. You can look at what effects the $8.5 trillion, poured into the economy, produced so far, or rather you can look for those effects in vain. This enormous amount of money has been eaten up by the humongous debt, and until we get rid of at least a large portion of that debt, we can expect no recovery.

The most pressing issue, the one that contributed heavily to the acceleration of the present collapse are the two wars, but it seems Obama is in no rush to get us out of this mess, at least not out of Afghanistan. If that war is less expensive, it doesn't mean we can afford it. Besides, if they are finished with Iraq, those "insurgents" could easily re-route their effort to Afghanistan.

Now with the mandate to print money like there's no tomorrow we will face hyper-inflation in a few years. Granted that salaries won't keep pace with the rate of inflation, where does it leave us? - right, in the poor house. Although it's nothing new, it's a good prooven way to "reduce" government debt, we've been through it before.

Does it sound like a lot of hope? 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 18:29
As a staunch conservative, here's my honest feeling:

I didn't vote for the guy, nor do I like many of his policies.

But he is my president, and as such, I support him, pray for his wisdom and guidance, and hope he will do the best damn job a president can do.  God bless him and his family.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 18:31
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

As a staunch conservative, here's my honest feeling:

I didn't vote for the guy, nor do I like many of his policies.

But he is my president, and as such, I support him, pray for his wisdom and guidance, and hope he will do the best damn job a president can do.  God bless him and his family.

ClapClapClap
Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 303>