Topic ClosedPolitical discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 303>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 18:49
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

As a staunch conservative, here's my honest feeling:

I didn't vote for the guy, nor do I like many of his policies.

But he is my president, and as such, I support him, pray for his wisdom and guidance, and hope he will do the best damn job a president can do.  God bless him and his family.

I've been wondering if he's going to look like a tired old man 4 or possibly 8 years from now. Granted, I feel pretty much the same as Robert, but the guy must have a pair if he's willing to take on this kind of job. Hopefully he'll make the right decisions in the end. And not look like he's aged 20 years within the next 4.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 19:47
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Otherwise know as the "Discuss Politics Until Things Get Out of Control And Admins Close the Thread," or so past events dictate. Confused

Political discussions are my favorite.Tongue

Wow. I absolutely hate them. Whenever I see things I don't agree with, I speak my mind, and then everyone hates me, and I end up with no friends. So no, I won't comment on immigration.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 20:14
Originally posted by IVNORD IVNORD wrote:

The first proposal on the path to get us out of recession he's contemplating seems to be wrong at its core. Giving $500 to every single taxpayer won't do anything, it has been tried a couple of times before. Someone who makes $100K could hardly notice it. Instead the money hsould have been allocated to the needy, working families with children living on $25K a year. They could find a proper way to spend it. But in the most vivid display of bipartisanship, Obama distributes the funds evenly to please the Republicans. Nice.

I could not agree more.  For me $500 would be welcome but is nothing in terms of what the government takes from me every paycheck.  How about using that money to offset some of the cost for student loans?  It's our kids who are eventually going to get the bill for this anyway.  My son will graduate from college this spring with a teaching degree and a good chunk of student loan debt.  He and his generation are the "economic stimulus" of the future, so why not give them a break. 
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 20:58
^ After all the support the 18-25 age group gave Barack, I sure hope he gives us a lil' somethin'
Signature Writers Guild on strike
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 21:40
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

^ After all the support the 18-25 age group gave Barack, I sure hope he gives us a lil' somethin'

But that's not the point of government. Too many people these days have got this notion of "Well the government is supposed to give me 'stuff'". Wrong. The government owes you nothing. If you want something, get a good education and be willing to work your ass off for what you want. I'm in college right now as well. I went in with a scholarship, but I ended up transferring after my first year, so I no longer have a scholarship. Although considering the fact that I work my ass off in school and get good grades so that I will one day get a job where I can support myself. I spent last summer working a full-time job (yes, 40 hours/week) in a factory. That really taught me something about how much the government takes out of your paycheck. As for what jammun said, I can understand you wanting to hope your son's future will mean something more than paying back college debt, but if you've taught him good values and to work hard as he was growing up, then I imagine he'll do fine. Granted I don't have any kids myself since I'm only 19 and therefore I probably can't fully understand how you feel.

But back to the original point, jimmy mentioning that he hopes Obama will "give us a lil
 somethin'"....well, don't get your hopes up. Also, you mentioning that made me think of a question I really want to ask you and may give me more insight into why you said what you said: What do you think the role of government is?
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 21:55
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

The first proposal on the path to get us out of recession he's contemplating seems to be wrong at its core. Giving $500 to every single taxpayer won't do anything, it has been tried a couple of times before. Someone who makes $100K could hardly notice it. Instead the money hsould have been allocated to the needy, working families with children living on $25K a year. They could find a proper way to spend it. But in the most vivid display of bipartisanship, Obama distributes the funds evenly to please the Republicans. Nice.

I could not agree more.  For me $500 would be welcome but is nothing in terms of what the government takes from me every paycheck. 
Man, I'm impressed. Unless you are on a semi-annual or annual pay scheduleTongue

[How about using that money to offset some of the cost for student loans?  It's our kids who are eventually going to get the bill for this anyway.  My son will graduate from college this spring with a teaching degree and a good chunk of student loan debt.  He and his generation are the "economic stimulus" of the future, so why not give them a break. 
Won't happen. Our kids are the next generation of taxpayers. They will be squeezed more than we were.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 21:57

What exactly do you think should be given to you?
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 22:01

50 bucks, 18 hot dogs and greater tax return.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 22:02
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

LOL
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 22:27

I could not agree more.  For me $500 would be welcome but is nothing in terms of what the government takes from me every paycheck. 
Man, I'm impressed. Unless you are on a semi-annual or annual pay scheduleTongue

No, I am on a bi-weekly pay schedule, and the government hits me up big time.  Granted, I am one of the greybeards around here and have a well-paying job (today, anyway). 

[How about using that money to offset some of the cost for student loans?  It's our kids who are eventually going to get the bill for this anyway.  My son will graduate from college this spring with a teaching degree and a good chunk of student loan debt.  He and his generation are the "economic stimulus" of the future, so why not give them a break. 
Won't happen. Our kids are the next generation of taxpayers. They will be squeezed more than we were.

That's my point.  My son (and I) have incurred significant debt so that he'll have a good job that will enable him to pay them taxes.  I don't care about the part I am paying but for those just starting out it would make sense to give them a break.  I don't buy much "stuff" anymore whereas they young 'uns will.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 08:29
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

You first two wishes are included in the $500 giveaway. The third you have to forget aboutLOLLOL
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 08:37

No, I am on a bi-weekly pay schedule, and the government hits me up big time.  Granted, I am one of the greybeards around here and have a well-paying job (today, anyway).  Not to encroach on your privacy, but Federal taxes on a bi-monthly check off a $100k salary amount to about $1,000. While two times the proposed tax refund of $500, it's not that much of a difference in absolute turms. But I was pulling your leg anywayTongueTongue

That's my point.  My son (and I) have incurred significant debt so that he'll have a good job that will enable him to pay them taxes.  I don't care about the part I am paying but for those just starting out it would make sense to give them a break.  I don't buy much "stuff" anymore whereas they young 'uns will.
I see your point and I am in the same situatuion you are, but while our generation is being written off as we speak, theirs will carry the grunt of the ensuing deficit and thus taxation in the long run.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 10:14
Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

But that's not the point of government. Too many people these days have got this notion of "Well the government is supposed to give me 'stuff'". Wrong. The government owes you nothing. If you want something, get a good education and be willing to work your ass off for what you want. I'm in college right now as well. I went in with a scholarship, but I ended up transferring after my first year, so I no longer have a scholarship. Although considering the fact that I work my ass off in school and get good grades so that I will one day get a job where I can support myself. I spent last summer working a full-time job (yes, 40 hours/week) in a factory. That really taught me something about how much the government takes out of your paycheck. As for what jammun said, I can understand you wanting to hope your son's future will mean something more than paying back college debt, but if you've taught him good values and to work hard as he was growing up, then I imagine he'll do fine. Granted I don't have any kids myself since I'm only 19 and therefore I probably can't fully understand how you feel.

But back to the original point, jimmy mentioning that he hopes Obama will "give us a lil
 somethin'"....well, don't get your hopes up. Also, you mentioning that made me think of a question I really want to ask you and may give me more insight into why you said what you said: What do you think the role of government is?
Easy killer, I didn't want to spark any bicep-flexing, value-hurling speech out of anyoneWink  But since IVNORD asked the question....I guess I would "ask" (note:  not DEMAND or EXPECT from the gov't) for affordable schooling for those who are willing to work hard at an education (that's not for everyone).  So yea, I guess I'm a red-handed commie now.   And some kind of economic relief for folks who work hard as opposed to sitting around asking for help.  We need to reinforce characteristics that will make the workforce stronger and hopefully the economy. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 10:18
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

As a staunch conservative, here's my honest feeling:

I didn't vote for the guy, nor do I like many of his policies.

But he is my president, and as such, I support him, pray for his wisdom and guidance, and hope he will do the best damn job a president can do.  God bless him and his family.

ClapClapClap
Clap

Exactly.  He is our President and we need to root for him - I may not think some of his policies will be effective, but I hope they are - his success means that our country succeeds!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 11:31
I'll try to inject some humour here.... In the situation the US (and the rest of the world) are in, wishing for Obama to fail is like that guy who cut off his male attributes in order to spite his wife. We have experienced a similar situation in Italy, and the country may not recover from the way the government is dealing with the recession. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 11:55

Shoes, preferably not thrown at me. LOL

(If I were Bush I would have kept them and put them on display in my liberry)

Originally posted by progrocker2244 progrocker2244 wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Otherwise know as the "Discuss Politics Until Things Get Out of Control And Admins Close the Thread," or so past events dictate. Confused

Political discussions are my favorite.Tongue

Wow. I absolutely hate them. Whenever I see things I don't agree with, I speak my mind, and then everyone hates me, and I end up with no friends. So no, I won't comment on immigration.

I hate you for saying that. TongueLOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 23 2009 at 11:58
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 16:21

Easy killer, I didn't want to spark any bicep-flexing, value-hurling speech out of anyoneWink  But since IVNORD asked the question....I guess I would "ask" (note:  not DEMAND or EXPECT from the gov't) for affordable schooling for those who are willing to work hard at an education (that's not for everyone).  So yea, I guess I'm a red-handed commie now.   And some kind of economic relief for folks who work hard as opposed to sitting around asking for help.  We need to reinforce characteristics that will make the workforce stronger and hopefully the economy. 
  There's no such thing as a free lunch. It's not like Obama is some sotr of Santa claus giving away nice gifts in unlimited quantities. Everything you get from the government is paid by you.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 16:29
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I'll try to inject some humour here.... In the situation the US (and the rest of the world) are in, wishing for Obama to fail is like that guy who cut off his male attributes in order to spite his wife. We have experienced a similar situation in Italy, and the country may not recover from the way the government is dealing with the recession. 
I don't recall seeing here any comment expressing a wish for Obama to fail. The prevailing sentiment is opposite to that
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 16:35

There's no such thing as a free lunch. It's not like Obama is some sotr of Santa claus giving away nice gifts in unlimited quantities. Everything you get from the government is paid by you.
That's basically what I'm saying.  If we pay for lunch, then we damn well deserve some good food.  I'm not one to ask for more than I'm willing to work for, but I usually expect people to be rewarded for what they do.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 16:48

That's so not true, if someone else pays for your lunch, it's free to you. Tongue

More to the point, if the people at the top aren't willing to pay fair wages and game the system, I say tax the hell out of them! Angry

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 23 2009 at 16:50
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 303>