Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVortex (band)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Your favourite Vortex track?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [50.00%]
2 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 15:34
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

PS Phileas, I'm surprised you say that because you once wrote HERE "My vote goes to Art Zoyd's Musique pour l'Odyssée, but Hérésie by Univers Zéro is a splendid album aswell. Eskaton's 4 Visions is also good. Western Culture by Henry Cow should have been in the poll too, a very good album. Last but not least, I'd like to mention Les Cycles du Thanatos by Vortex, an excellent French Avant-Prog album."

Opinions can change, of course.  Incidentally, everything in your list above is much loved by me.

It's good alright, but I find it a tad overrated. The funny thing is that I don't remember ever liking it as much as I seem to have done when writing the post you quote... Confused
I guess I was out of adjectives or something, either that or the album just died on me a bit with further listens. It's great when listening carefully, but it doesn't grab my attention very easily.

How does it compare to their self-titled?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:38
Yukorin, welcome back, and thanks for sharing that.  Incidentally, your Les Cyles... review is one of my favourite reviews at this site (and not just because I like the album so much).

Phileas, I remembered that post of yours because I was so impressed with your choices. Speaking for myself, only: I've often rated something highly in posts when I haven't adequately listened to the music so as to have a well-developed opinion of it.  Or I'm influenced by others ratings and that temporarily clouds my judgment.  I'm sure I've mentioned albums as excellent because I've heard a  sample that I like and have read positive reviews by people whose musical tastes I tend to share, but am not that familiar with the album or artist in question.  Heck, there are a few albums I consider excellent that I haven't even heard yet. LOL

As to your question: I prefer the second album, but greatly enjoy the first.  I'd say that the first is more Zeuhlish and is more energetic (rocks more, I might say).  I think many people would find it to be the more exciting and vibrant album.  It doesn't require the same patience.  I imagine that most Progheads would find the title track of Les Cycles very tedious. Of course you're not most Progheads taste-wise.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 03:35

Thanks for the kind words man! I also enjoy reading your posts a lot (yes folks, it's a Love-in).

Wish I could spend more time here but it is impossible. (Long Japanese summer, the latest fashion is hot-pants, well you get the picture...)

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 08:07

Phileas, I remembered that post of yours because I was so impressed with your choices. Speaking for myself, only: I've often rated something highly in posts when I haven't adequately listened to the music so as to have a well-developed opinion of it.  Or I'm influenced by others ratings and that temporarily clouds my judgment.  I'm sure I've mentioned albums as excellent because I've heard a  sample that I like and have read positive reviews by people whose musical tastes I tend to share, but am not that familiar with the album or artist in question.  Heck, there are a few albums I consider excellent that I haven't even heard yet. LOL

I fall victim to this too, quite often. LOL

As to your question: I prefer the second album, but greatly enjoy the first.  I'd say that the first is more Zeuhlish and is more energetic (rocks more, I might say).  I think many people would find it to be the more exciting and vibrant album.  It doesn't require the same patience.  I imagine that most Progheads would find the title track of Les Cycles very tedious. Of course you're not most Progheads taste-wise.

Sounds good to me, I'll see if I can get hold of the release with both albums. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12