Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg metal: Gorod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog metal: Gorod
    Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:39
I've been listening some to this French band since they were recommended to me a few days ago by someone on a different forum when I was searching for technical/progressive/jazzy death metal, and I must say I think they're really nice, and they might be worth consideration by the PM team. My only complain is their vocals, they're a bit too much for me(other bands like Meshuggah and Death use growling/screaming type vocals in a much better way, for example...), but I've gained a tolerance for death metal vocals, so I'm able to oversee this little(to me) annoyance and listen to the great instrumentation!

They have some vids and songs on MySpace, check them out if you have time, and this is how they are described there(a quite accurate description IMO):

"Gorod, formerly known as Gorgasm in France, formed in 1997. Initially started as a 3-piece, when it came time to record a demo in 2000, a second guitarist was added. Their debut full-length, Neurotripsicks, finally sees the light of day in America, via Willowtip Records. If you want to hear slithery, arthritis-inducing riffs and spirally, harmony-rich arpeggios that truly rape the Rubix cube, Neurotripsicks from France's Gorod is your culprit. This North American release includes two brand new songs recorded specifically for Willowtip. This is extremely technical death metal at its absolute finest. With the follow up to Neurotripsicks, Gorod have once again hit the jackpot for the ultimate number-crunching spider-fingered death metal sweepstakes with Leading Vision, their sophomore effort for Willowtip. These Frenchmen have cleverly spiced their diamond-cutting technicality with supercharged pinball machine melodies and fluttering sting ray guitar solos against a backdrop of grooves and bonkers bass playing, not to mention tighter, radioactive songwriting sure to burrow its way into permanent memory. Considering how slippery and complicated Gorod sounds on paper, it's immediately refreshing to be reminded that death metal can be catchy, brainy, and fun all at the same time with Leading Vision. Sure to be one of the best technical death metal albums you've heard in quite some time. "

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14624241

The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
Salviaal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 18:48
I also just discovered Gorod a few days ago. Very good band! Martyr from Quebec should also be added while we're talking technical death metal.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8006381
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 19:18
If you take a look through these charts you will see that Martyr have already been voted for, and that it seems they are ready for inclusion Smile
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 12:32
Gorod is a great band,I will add them to the Progressive Metal Team's voting chart.

Post Reply Post Reply