FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPorcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
    Posted: July 29 2007 at 23:09
I went to see Porcupine Tree at the beginning of the summer at the Nokia Theater in Manhattan. The show was phenomenal; the sound quality was amazing and the visuals were pretty cool.

If you're looking to see the band be something out of the ordinary, then you'll be disappointed; they sounded just like the recording, which can be good or bad, depending on taste. Personally, I didn't mind; they DID play "Trains" in a different key, though. That's as different as they get, well, from the album.

They played only about a two and a half hour set, which kind of bugged me; I wish they had allocated the show differently so that they would play longer. I, personally enjoy a nice, long set, and two and a half hours just doesn't cut it.

The opening band, 3 (or Three; I'm not sure), was pretty good; they sounded like an improved version of Coheed and Cambria. (Ironically enough, they had been touring with Coheed previously and members in both bands have some sort of family ties that I can't quite remember exactly. Who would you say is more successful?) They played for about an hour, which, in my opinion, was much too long for an opening band to play.

Overall, I'd rate the show a 9.7 out of 10. The show was great and would turn any non-PT fan into a fan, I would think. If you don't have tickets, then I highly suggest purchasing them. Very good live band :)
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 08:48
Two and a half hours sounds pretty good to me.  Can't wait to see them in October.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 18:20
hey Jon lol

I was at this concert

also, CAKE

activetopics View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 21:12
lawl, Pillz 
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 21:16
I saw 'em in Montreal, and they sounded different than on the album (a bit) to me. The visuals are stunning, and the sound quality is almost perfect - a bit too loud.

And my dad, who had only listened to In Absentia once on the drive (and no other PT before the concert) was instantly hooked and went out and bought all their albums after the show.
activetopics View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 07:35
yay another PT fan :D
 Post Reply Post Reply