FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Dream Theater Book published

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Dream Theater Book published
    Posted: July 31 2007 at 10:56
Thought I'd share this in case there are a few Dream Theater fans knocking about on this forum Smile

‘Lifting Shadows – The Authorized Story Of Dream Theater’ 

Pre-order now to get your name printed in the book

The book is to be published by Essential Works who are respected publishers based in London. The pre-ordering will take place on their website, which can be found at:
http://www.essentialworks.co.uk/dreamtheater/

Please be aware that this book will not be available in high street shops or other online retailers. The book can ONLY be ordered via the Essential Works website. The book is also being produced in a special, limited edition format which obviously means that stocks are not endless.

‘Lifting Shadows’ is being produced because of the fans support – something for which I am truly grateful. As a special added thank you, it has been agreed with the publishers that for a limited time, those of you ordering soon will get your names printed in the book, in a special “Roll Of Honour” section at the rear of the Images book. This offer will be open until midnight GMT on the 31st August 2007. After that time, you will still be able to order the books, but your name would not appear. We hope to be in a position to ship the books to you in time for Christmas 2007, barring any unforeseen delays.

Book Details:

Lifting Shadows will be printed in a deluxe, ‘Images And Words’ limited edition version that includes a free CD of Dream Theater music. This limited edition comprises two hardback books that are held together in a slipcase. It is likely that the book cover will be designed by legendary rock artist, Hugh Syme.

The first of these books is entitled ‘Images’ and is crammed with colour photos of the band, previously unseen/unused album artwork, letters, press releases and a host of other memorabilia. ‘Images’ is printed on luxury 130gsm art paper, measures 234 x 197mm and has around 192 pages.

The second book, ‘Words’, contains the definitive biography of the band. It is printed on 80gsm paper, measures 234 x 153mm and has around 384 pages. The book features all new interviews with the band and a host of others who have played their part in the rise of one of prog-metals finest bands. The book’s foreword has been written by Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy.

The material on the CD has been compiled by Mike Portnoy from his personal archives and contains the following tracks:

1. ANOTHER WON (1985)
(Original Instrumental Berklee Demo)
Taken from the Ytsejam Records CD "The Majesty Demos 1985-1986"

2. TWO FAR (1986)
(
1986 Majesty Demo)
Taken from the Ytsejam Records CD "The Majesty Demos 1985-1986"

3. STATUS SEEKER (1988)
(Radio Remix)
Previously only available as a Mechanic Records Radio Promo CD
Remixed by Terry Brown

4. DON'T LOOK PAST ME (1990)
(Vocalist Audition Demo)
Taken from the 1999 Dream Theater Fan Club CD "Cleaning Out The Closet"
Music originally recorded in Feb 1990
James LaBrie vocal tracks added in Oct 1999
Mixed by Doug Oberkircher

5. UNDER A GLASS MOON (1993)
(Live At The Marquee Outtake)
Previously Unreleased
Recorded at the Marquee - London, England - April 23rd 1993
Mixed by Doug Oberkircher

6. CAUGHT IN A WEB (1995)
(Live on BBC Radio One)
Previously Unreleased
Recorded Live on Bruce Dickinson's BBC Radio One Show - January 30th 1995

7. YOU OR ME (1996)
(1996 Demo)
Taken from the Ytsejam Records CD "Falling Into Infinity Demos 1996-1997"

8. BURNING MY SOUL (1998)
(Once In A LIVEtime Outtake)
Previously only available on the "Five Years In A LIVEtime DVD"
Recorded at Le Bataclan - Paris, France - June 25th 1998
Live Mix by Kevin Shirley

9. THROUGH HER EYES (1999)
(Original "Long Titanic" Arrangement)
Previously only available on the end credits of "Metropolis 2000 - Scenes From New York"

10. YOUR MAJESTY (2002)
(Live in Paris)
Previously Unreleased
Recorded at Mutualite - Paris, France - October 23rd 2002

11. METROPOLIS (2004)
(Live in Los Angeles)
Special Guests: Charlie Dominici and Derek Sherinian
Taken from the Ytsejam Records CD "When Dream And Day Reunite"
Recorded at The Pantages Theater - Los Angeles, CA - March 6th 2004

Rich Wilson
Author
‘Lifting Shadows- The Authorized Story Of Dream Theater'
www.dreamtheaterbook.com
Hieronymus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 23:20
I would be curious if Mr. Wilson could offer some indication as to whether Kevin Moore participated at all in this new book. I am a huge Dream Theater fan but have always wondered why Moore left the band: all the interviews seem to suggest is that he sort of emotionally "withdrew" from the band. Frankly, judging from his appearance in stage performances Moore seems rather embarassed to be seen with the rest of the band. Could Mr. Wilson give us some sense of Moore's level of participation? Do we get the real story behind his departure? Moore is a genuine enigma (and a massive talent) and I'd love to know more.

Best,
Hieronymus
Rich Wilson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 03:37

Well, we get the band's side of Kev Moore's departure!

I've interviewed virtually everyone else you can think of - see the list below. But despite several requests (and frankly begging) Kev Moore declined to be interviewed for the book which is a great shame. He just has no interest in anything DT related any more.
Anyway, for your interest, I've posted the book's foreword below (written by Mike Portnoy) which makes a reference to Kevin.

===============================================================

FOREWORD BY MIKE PORTNOY

In the words of the Grateful Dead, "what a long, strange trip it’s been..."
In the words of the Beatles, it’s surely been a "long and winding road..."
In the words of Metallica, "f*** it all and f***** no regrets..."
(OK...maybe I should’ve stopped at The Beatles!)  

Reading this book has been an incredible trip down memory lane for me and quite an emotional experience - seeing my professional life flash before my eyes...the good, the bad and the ugly, indeed!

Rich Wilson has truly captured the ups and downs that has made Dream Theater’s journey thus far a very interesting story. No, it’s not a typical biography filled with sex, drugs and Rock and Roll road stories, but when you read through the story of our career, it really is a great tale of the fight for musical integrity, strong professional perseverance and living out a deep-rooted belief in oneself.

Rich has done a remarkable job tracking down almost every single person that has been a part of Dream Theater’s first twenty years...from the obvious players such as eight out of the nine "official" members from throughout the band’s history (one glaringly obvious missing member still sadly refusing to contribute and acknowledge his past) all the way through managers, record company personnel, producers, friends, fellow musicians and even some incredibly obscure people from our past whom I haven’t seen or spoken to in well over fifteen years...(Stephen Michael Stone?? Wow!!)

When I put together the 1 hour documentary for Dream Theater’s "Score" DVD, I did my best to tell the story of the band’s first twenty years in sixty minutes, and while I am indeed very proud of that piece, I must say watching that is like "VH1’s Behind The Music" when you compare it to Rich Wilson’s "Beatles Anthology" that you are now holding in your hands! 

THIS book is indeed the "whole story"...

It is truly amazing that Dream Theater has achieved all we have in our first two decades – against all odds, trends and fashionable musical styles – and yet we’re still growing and climbing higher and higher each album and tour!

As amazing as this story is thus far, I am sure we still have MANY, MANY more exciting chapters to still write ahead of us....

Enjoy the ride!

M IKE PORTNOY

===========================================================

BOOK INTERVIEWEES:

Current Band Members:
Mike Portnoy, James LaBrie, John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, John Myung.

Former Band Members:
Charlie Dominici, Chris Collins, Stephan Erickson (a.k.a Steve Stone), John Arch, Derek Sherinian, Chris Cintron.

Album Producers/ Engineers:
David Prater, Kevin Shirley, Terry Date, Doug Oberkircher.

Cover Artists:
Larry Freemantle, Amy Guip, Dung Hoang, Hugh Syme, Storm Thorgerson, Peter Curzon, Dave McKean.

Band Managers/ Record Label Personnel:
Derek Oliver, Dante Bonutto, Jim Pitulski, Derek Simon, Rob Shore, Rikk Feulner, Bill Barclay, Frank Soloman, Janna Glasser, David 5-1 Norman, Derek Shulman.

Various:
Bruce Dickinson, Pete Trewavas, Ben Huggins, Jamshied Sharifi, Jens Johansson, Chris Jericho, Sebastian Bach, Erik Neldner and Eric Gandras

www.dreamtheaterbook.com
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 10:47
When was John Arch in the band?

I'm good friends with some members of DT and Kevin's departure was essentially explained as he had his heart broken so badly in a relationship, he just wanted to cut off that time of his life, the song "Space dyed vest" is from that period. It's rather interesting that Kevin worked with Mike on the OSI stuff and I always thought he brought some of the best song writing to the band.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 11:17
Originally posted by BigBoss BigBoss wrote:

When was John Arch in the band?

I'm good friends with some members of DT and Kevin's departure was essentially explained as he had his heart broken so badly in a relationship, he just wanted to cut off that time of his life, the song "Space dyed vest" is from that period. It's rather interesting that Kevin worked with Mike on the OSI stuff and I always thought he brought some of the best song writing to the band.

John Arch was in the band briefly immediately after Charlie Dominici left (and before they found James LaBrie). He rehearsed with them for a few weeks before deciding to decline their offer to join them - as he felt he couldn't give both the band and his family enough commitment.
www.dreamtheaterbook.com
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 11:47
Ah, that explains Mike playing on John's EP a few years ago. So John went on to sing with Fates Warning or did FW preceed DT?
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 11:50
Originally posted by BigBoss BigBoss wrote:

Ah, that explains Mike playing on John's EP a few years ago. So John went on to sing with Fates Warning or did FW preceed DT?

FW was just before the DT thing. They both thought it was perfect timing but they couldn't get it to work. There are some (cough) bootlegs around of him singing with DT . . .
www.dreamtheaterbook.com
Fight Club View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 00:56
Hey I ordered my copy a couple of days ago. It's a doozy though! Cost me roughly $80!
 Post Reply Post Reply