Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCozy Powell on Prog Archives!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cozy Powell on Prog Archives!
    Posted: August 01 2007 at 14:55

Hello fellow progheads.

I have always loved his album Over The Top (great work on the mighty Yamaha CS80 synthesizer) , recently I bought a compilation of his 3 albums, awesome (often close to Colosseum II), I would like to add him to Prog Archives, what's your opinion?

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 01 2007 at 15:27
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 16:19
I have always been in favour of his addition. As you mention Colosseum II, most of this band's former members perform on Powell's solo output (Gary Moore, Don Airey, Neil Murray), as well as Colosseum's guitarist Dave "Clem" Clempson.

The question is, where would we add him?Confused I remember there was another problem, that is, he didn't write any of the material performed on his solo albums. For this reason, someone suggested adding him to "Various Artists".
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 16:24
Cozy Powell is one of teh best drummers of all time, but I don't know if I'd put his solo work on PA. As Raff already said, he didn't write his own stuff, plus he played mainly with hard rock and metallers. The only album he's on that's on PA that I know of is Rainbow's Rising and whatever live albums are from the Rising tour.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 16:44
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

The question is, where would we add him?Confused I remember there was another problem, that is, he didn't write any of the material performed on his solo albums. For this reason, someone suggested adding him to "Various Artists".

This is a powerful reason, an artist is added to Prog Archives for his COMPOSITIONAL contributions, if he didn't wrote any material, no matter in which band he played, there's no room for him.

But if the album is Prog and written by different authors, Various Artists could be the place.

I don't give an opinion on the album because I don't know it, but an artist with no compositions can't be added.

My two cents

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 01 2007 at 20:41

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 17:20
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

This is a powerful reason, an artist is added to Prog Archives for his COMPOSITIONAL contyributions, if he didn't wtrote any material, no matter in which band he played, there's no room for him.

But if the album is Prog and written by different authors, Various Artists coulñd be the place.

I don't give an opinion on the aqlbum because I don't know it, but an artist with no compositions can't be added.

My two cents

Iván
Drummers are/were rarely attributed as writers of a piece of music, yet their contribution to the work is immeasutrable. Traditionaly in Popular music the composers of the main melody and the lyric were credited as the writers - with the bass player and drummer usually missing out on the publishing royalties eventhough they contributed own their "parts" to the music - Prog changed that a little with fairer crediting, but the rhythm section still looses out.

As far as I'm concerned if the album has Cozy Powell's name on the cover then it is his album, not a various artists - after all Portraits of Bon Dylan is listed under Steve Howe last time I looked (about 30 seconds ago). Stern%20Smile
What?
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 17:47
What a varied posts, from Ghost Rider who support his addition to Ivan who don't want him basically because he didn't write his own songs! Well, I have never heard such a ridiculous reason to exclude an artist Ivan, because what matters is the music and not compositorial credits, it shouldn't be more weird here on Prog Archives if Cozy Powell is not allowed to Prog Archives for the reason as Ivan points at Dead  Because PROG MUSIC is what it is all about and the music on Cozy Powell his three solo albums is PROG, close to Colosseum II and they are already on Prog Archives. So let's concentrate on Various Artists instead of the compositorial credits crap, OK?

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 01 2007 at 17:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 20:37
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

What a varied posts, from Ghost Rider who support his addition to Ivan who don't want him basically because he didn't write his own songs! Well, I have never heard such a ridiculous reason to exclude an artist Ivan, because what matters is the music and not compositorial credits, it shouldn't be more weird here on Prog Archives if Cozy Powell is not allowed to Prog Archives for the reason as Ivan points at Dead  Because PROG MUSIC is what it is all about and the music on Cozy Powell his three solo albums is PROG, close to Colosseum II and they are already on Prog Archives. So let's concentrate on Various Artists instead of the compositorial credits crap, OK?

Erik, I'm not saying no, as a fact I believe Various Artists is the right place, if it's Prog because I said I'm not familiar with his work.

I'm only retaking the exact same arguments Raf and 1800iareyay used:

And

Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Cozy Powell is one of teh best drummers of all time, but I don't know if I'd put his solo work on PA. As Raff already said, he didn't write his own stuff, plus he played mainly with hard rock and metallers. The only album he's on that's on PA that I know of is Rainbow's Rising and whatever live albums are from the Rising tour.

So why this reaction against my post? Specially when at the end  I say:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

But if the album is Prog and written by different authors, Various Artists could be the place.

I don't give an opinion on the album because I don't know it, but an artist with no compositions can't be added.

Iván

I'm clearly leaving the exact same option mentioned by Raf  and which you seem to like.

Please cool yourself, I do believe an artist with no compositions despite how many bands he was part of can't be included, if that was the case The Musical Box and all tribute bands should be here and I believe neither you or me would agree.

But if he has albums credited to himself and there are several artists composing, Various Artists is the choice.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 01 2007 at 20:38

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 21:05
If the songs on Cozy Powell's solo albums were written specifically for those albums, or written for him, then they are not Various Artists albums, they are Cozy Powell albums.

I know precident has no credence on this site, but another famous drummer, Alan White, has his own listing under Art Rock, for 1 solitary album, Ramshackled. White is not credited with a single note on that album.
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 05:20
That's what I mean Darqdean, why it has to be so confusing and inconsequent here on Prog Archives, sometimes it's so frustrating!
But let's focus on the addition, looking at the possibilities, I go for Jazzrock/Fusion because the sound on the three solo albums by Cozy Powell is close to Colosseum II (also in Jazzrock/Fusion).
Ivan, I react that emotional way because for me it's important that the visiting progheads are informed in a correct way. In my opinion this means that putting Cozy Powell in the category Various Artists because he has not written the songs is really ridiculous and very confusing (and inconsequent, see Darqdean his post). Just put Cozy Powell in the category where he belongs and where we can inform the visiting progheads in a correct way: Jazzrock/Fusion!

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 02 2007 at 05:22
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 09:08

Erik, no need for phrases like "the compositorial credits crap" even if Ivan is big enough to take it.

Ivan, I'm not sure that composition credits have ever been taken into consideration when assessing bands, surely it is only about assessing the music.

General comment. The albums are credited to Cozy Powell, so if he was added, there is no reason to list them elsewhere.

Powell has been proposed a number of times, with mixed reactions. I think there have been at least three polls, one strongly in favour, one strongly against, and another which i can't remember!

Erik, if you would like me to take Powell to the Admin team for a final decision, jsut let me know.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 09:10
Wasn't he the Drummer of Black Sabbath for a while? Confused
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 09:13
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

...and of Robert Plant! Tongue
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 09:23
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

Cozy has been in, (or guested with) a stupid number of bands:

What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 09:26
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Erik, no need for phrases like "the compositorial credits crap" even if Ivan is big enough to take it.

Ivan, I'm not sure that composition credits have ever been taken into consideration when assessing bands, surely it is only about assessing the music.

General comment. The albums are credited to Cozy Powell, so if he was added, there is no reason to list them elsewhere.

Powell has been proposed a number of times, with mixed reactions. I think there have been at least three polls, one strongly in favour, one strongly against, and another which i can't remember!

Erik, if you would like me to take Powell to the Admin team for a final decision, jsut let me know.

ignoring the name and the reputation Bob...  I heard the albums through Raff.  It's prog music.....he should be here, put me in the affirmative camp for inclusion.  Thumbs%20Up

Edited by micky - August 02 2007 at 09:27
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 09:42
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

And Jeff Beck, and ELPowell...

for the entire list, videos, pictues, and a short bio, see www.drummerworld.com

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Cozy_Powell.html
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 11:47
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

That's what I mean Darqdean, why it has to be so confusing and inconsequent here on Prog Archives, sometimes it's so frustrating!
But let's focus on the addition, looking at the possibilities, I go for Jazzrock/Fusion because the sound on the three solo albums by Cozy Powell is close to Colosseum II (also in Jazzrock/Fusion).
Ivan, I react that emotional way because for me it's important that the visiting progheads are informed in a correct way. In my opinion this means that putting Cozy Powell in the category Various Artists because he has not written the songs is really ridiculous and very confusing (and inconsequent, see Darqdean his post). Just put Cozy Powell in the category where he belongs and where we can inform the visiting progheads in a correct way: Jazzrock/Fusion!

Erik, I was not the only one who used that argument, as a fact I took it from another posts who mentioned it was employed in this case some time ago, but your attack is directly against me.

As I said before, I haven't voted in favour or against Cozy Powell, I'm not familiar with his work, as a fact I only heard partially one album and I don't care for it, so I could not vote against or in favour.

If the albums are credited to him, well that's a decision the people in charge (I'm not one of them) should take,  they have the call, not I.

If it's clearly stated that he is here because of his albums I have absolutely no problem, what i don't want is to see every Tribute band who never composed anything added (I believe we already have one).

His case is different I know, then the Adms should decide, I by my side won't vote ion hios case because as i said 4 times I'm not familiar with his work..

Iván

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 12:14
I have problems with Ivan his phrases like "This is a powerful reason, an artist is added to Prog Archives for his COMPOSITIONAL contributions, if he didn't wrote any material, no matter in which band he played, there's no room for him." and "I don't give an opinion on the album because I don't know it, but an artist with no compositions can't be added."

OK, sorry Ivan, I will use other language than in my previous posts, let me say that it should be about adding interesting prog music and informing the visiting progheads in a correct way, this is not the case if you focus on the fact that Cozy Powell didn't write his own compositions or something like that. We shouldn't nail ourselves on definitions like Ivan described (in bold) in my opinion.

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 02 2007 at 12:15
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 12:19
^^ If you are refering to Think Floyd then your comments are a little unfair as they released albums of their own original material Disapprove

Edited by darqdean - August 02 2007 at 12:20
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 12:47
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

^^ If you are refering to Think Floyd then your comments are a little unfair as they released albums of their own original material Disapprove

No, not about them Darqdean, I know they have own material, also as in the case of Eggroll.

Iván

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 14:53
I have just send Easy Livin a PM in which I have asked for a Cozy Powell addition to Prog Archives, in the Jazzrock/Fusion category. Thanks for joining this thread Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>