Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPez (Argentinian band)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pez (Argentinian band)
    Posted: August 01 2007 at 16:00
An astounding band that has been releasing refreshing material for the last 14 years. Key Albums: Folklore, Convivencia Sagrada. From Folklore I would recommend Maldicion, and from Convivencia Sagrada de 19 minute suite "Rada". I guess they could be considered either psychedelic rock or art rock

Pez was formed in December 1993 by Ariel Minimal on Guitar and Voice, together with the Barbieri brothers (Poli on drums and Alez on bass). The project is a hard, experimental Rock trio that started to play on the Buenos Aires circuit in 1994. In October 1994 they recorded their first work called Cabeza released on the label Discos Milagrosos which was received with great reviews by the press.

In September 1995 the band changed its formation with Franco Salvador taking charge of the drums and Iris Auteri of the bass. In February 1996 they record their second Album, Quemado, which received exceptional reviews by the media. In this work the group started to show a change vocation that would define their different albums, incorporating a variety of textures and styles, including tango (they recorded a version of Astor Piazzolla's “Muralla China”) bossa nova, progressive rock and psychedelia. To do this they recurred to different guest musicians that added different timbres and instruments to the trio. Presenting this album the band started to intensify their live presentations along with their media followings.

In September 1996 Ariel Minimal was called by Los Fabulosos Cadillacs to be part of the group as their guitarist. This news brought great repercussions in the rock press generating greater attention on Pez's continuity. This year also meant the incorporation of Fósforo on the bass, and they recorded a version of The Clash's “I’m not Down” for the album Buenos Aires City Rockers - Tributo a The Clash (with Gastón Vandam as second guitar). During this period the band toured all over Argentina along with Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, which collaborated to showcase their music in different places outside of Buenos Aires.

During June 1998 the group, now no longer tied with it's former label, decided to face their third production independently, and recorded an album called Pez. The music changed again, this time it was a fast and heavy style of the trio that approached punk rock songs in an elaborate manner. This album was presented in Buenos Aires and they performed in the Buenos Aires Vivo festival for over 60.000 people. This album was, again, well received by the most important media like Rolling Stone, Madhouse and Los Inrockuptibles magazines, and newspapers like Clarín, La Nación and Página/12 among others, receiving in some cases the best qualifications granted by these media.

In the year 2000 the group decided to create it's own record label called Azione Artigianale releasing their fourth album, Fragilinvencible, which was covered by the most prestigious media receiving the best reviews an artist can hope from the press. In this record the trio shows it's music with a strong influence from the historic Argentine Rock and incorporates new instruments and textures. Showing this material live, and consolidating their performances outside of Buenos Aires (La Plata, Mar del Plata, Mendoza, Córdoba, Rosario, Corrientes and Formosa among other cities) they sparked quite a reaction as much in the interior of the country as in Buenos Aires. During that year the band decided to incorporate two more musicians: Pablo Puntoriero (who was playing with Los Fabulosos Cadillacs) in the baritone and tenor sax and flute and Juan Salese in the keyboards.

This quintet recorded it's fifth album, Convivencia Sagrada, in early 2001, in which they incorporated approximations to jazz and influences from music of the Río de la Plata to their already big musical baggage, and they made their first performance in the legendary Cosquín Rock Festival, where they were considered “Revelation Band”. With this record the band continued to incorporate new audiences and receive great reviews by the press.

In the year 2002, El sol detrás del sol was released. This sixth album is calm, it shows an approximation to more traditional songs, without abandoning their typical sound. But shortly after, the band's formation is again reduced to the guitar, bass and drums trio. This period is marked by the increasing live audience in Buenos Aires and the interior of Argentina.

In 2003 Pez achieved a state of balance and consolidated it's formation (which is maintained until today) incorporating Leopoldo Limeres in electric piano, and Ernesto Romeo in synthesizers and keyboards. This new quintet made it's debut in the Quilmes Rock 2003 Festival with a great acceptance from several thousand people. Towards the end of this year the band celebrated a decade of existence by premiering in the Cosmos cinema, a documentary directed by Ezequiel Muñoz called Hay lo que Hay - Pez en imágenes which showed the band's entire history up to the present. They also gave a commemorative show in La Trastienda in which they reviewed their musical history and included performances by all the different incarnations of Pez.

In the beginning of 2004, with its current formation, Pez recorded it's seventh album, Folklore, in which they achieved a very marked musical maturity that is reflected in the reviews made by the specialized press. They also made a video clip for "Maldición"  that was broadcasted by musical channels like MTV, MuchMusic, Rock & Pop TV, etc. This same year the band realized it's first completely acoustic performance (to a full house with over 1000 people in the Centro Cultural San Martín) and consolidated their performances in prestigious venues like Quilmes Rock 2004, La Trastienda, N/D Ateneo, etc.

After a new presentation in Cosquín Rock 2005, last February and concerts in La Trastienda and ND/Ateneo with views to editing its eighth disk , this time a double one -Para las almas sensibles- the first live at the end of 2005, Pez has its first presentation abroad in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Official Website: http://www.pezapesta.com.ar/

Edited by zabriskiepoint - August 01 2007 at 16:03
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 17:40

I liked what I heard... still needing to hear more to see where they fit here, Zab.

Anyway, my aim currently is to include Serú Girán for the sake of Argentinian prog history and consequently of South American prog history too. 

Guigo

~~~~~~
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 18:13
bump...
Guigo

~~~~~~
pdrpdr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 19:02
I agree, they should be added here. They made a lot of albums, not all progressive, but they are the most know progressive band from the 90's and the 00's on Argentina.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 23:18
any feedback on the music itself from those who have heard it would be appreciated.  This group has dropped into my lap unless some one else takes it... 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
electricsilence View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 13:08
I've sent a couple of emails to the band addition team, which include about 5 mp3s.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 17:01
Originally posted by electricsilence electricsilence wrote:

I've sent a couple of emails to the band addition team, which include about 5 mp3s.

I got one... and it...well.... didn't exactly light the house of prog-worthiness on fire.  I did some snopping around and the band deserves a fair shake....  send them directly to me and we'll take a looksie at it.  You should have my email (think I emailed you ....it's not my email listed for this site..that's an old address).. or send them to my PM address.

On second thought......Best send to my PM... no one emails me.. so I never check the damn thing anyway...

Edited by micky - October 25 2007 at 17:03
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 17:56
Micky
I have the MP3s for this band if you want them. I meant to forward them all to you but something must have gone awry with my mails.

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 16:22
Yes, this band should be here! Crossover prog or Prog related would be the best places!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 16:30
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Yes, this band should be here! Crossover prog or Prog related would be the best places!

that's why I've teken Pez  into my lap, I suspected it was an Xover or PR call........as soon as I get those samples.. we'll start them on their way
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 09:15
I disagree, I think their place is in art/rock. From the songs I've sent I guess the one that illustrates the most why the should be art rock is "queseyo"; you should take into account that they have longer songs, up to 12-13 minutes but I wasn't able to send any of those because my computer collapsed when I tried to get the files through Hotmail. "Rada" is one of the long songs I'm talking about.

Greetings and thanks for taking the time to listen to the band.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 18:13
Originally posted by electricsilence electricsilence wrote:

I disagree, I think their place is in art/rock. From the songs I've sent I guess the one that illustrates the most why the should be art rock is "queseyo"; you should take into account that they have longer songs, up to 12-13 minutes but I wasn't able to send any of those because my computer collapsed when I tried to get the files through Hotmail. "Rada" is one of the long songs I'm talking about.

Greetings and thanks for taking the time to listen to the band.

there is no art/rock sub genre here hahahha....it was broken into it's 3 base components.. at least those we have identifiied so far.  Xover is but one.. and the most likely for inclusion based on what I have heard.  It sure as hell ain't hard and heavy brother LOL and we'll see about eclectic.  Anyhow....

the collective AR 'family' will take a listen and kick it to where it needs to be.  It just came to me in my mailbox.. which by the way... anytime you all do get me those samples... I'll be glad to start the ball rolling with them.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 23:09
*bump*

anyone ...someone...  would love  to see to see something in my mailbox other than  emails  advertising penis enlargements.  Where are those samples.. just floating in the ether somewhere LOL  We can't eval without something to go on.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 21:44
ahhh... finally got those samples... thanks!!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 19:35
and Pez is now formally under consideration by the Xover team.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 21:12
and Pez has been heartily accepted by the Xover team.

Working on the addition now.. thanks guys for your patience with the system. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 21:29
and Pez has been added

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3307

albums still need to be added... there are a few of them .. .any help would be appreciated.. I will start this evening but won't finish.

I expect to see some reviews from you guys.. thanks a lot you all.
Jaco P. View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 14:43
Para las almas sensibles is a Live Album
Cabeza, Quemado and Pez need to be added,

info: http://www.pezapesta.com.ar/discografia.htm
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 21:53
Originally posted by Jaco P. Jaco P. wrote:

Para las almas sensibles is a Live Album
Cabeza, Quemado and Pez need to be added,

info: http://www.pezapesta.com.ar/discografia.htm

I know...as I already said....I was starting to add the albums  last night... and wasn't going to finish...

finishing them now....

Edited by micky - November 15 2007 at 21:53
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2007 at 17:05
I'll complete the discography, thanks for taking the time to listen to the band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>