Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI NEEEEEEEEED your help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I NEEEEEEEEED your help!
    Posted: August 06 2007 at 00:09
I have delved very deep into the deepest and darkest pits in prog, but I cant go any further in my journey in the state that I am in!

I can only buy music at stores! Leaving me only with the more mainsteam prog acts, but I want Sleepytime gorilla museum, Anekdoten, Riverside, Van der graaf ect ect ect

But my parents wont let me buy stuff on the internet! They say "we dont want to put our credit card on the internet", which leads me only to te barren musical wastelands that are stores.

PLEASE HELP! Do any of you have an alternative way of buying music? on the internet or whatever? PLEASE ASSIST ME IN MY MUSICAL VOYAGE!
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 00:15
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

I have delved very deep into the deepest and darkest pits in prog, but I cant go any further in my journey in the state that I am in!

I can only buy music at stores! Leaving me only with the more mainsteam prog acts, but I want Sleepytime gorilla museum, Anekdoten, Riverside, Van der graaf ect ect ect

But my parents wont let me buy stuff on the internet! They say "we dont want to put our credit card on the internet", which leads me only to te barren musical wastelands that are stores.

PLEASE HELP! Do any of you have an alternative way of buying music? on the internet or whatever? PLEASE ASSIST ME IN MY MUSICAL VOYAGE!

I bought SGM's In Glorious Times at Best Buy, any of those where you live?

You should be able to get most record stores to special order for you. Best Buy usually will. That should help some.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 00:24
yes, special ordering is a great way to go if the store has a good distributor.. and usually you aren't charged extra unless it's an import

..also you could take a trip to a city with good record stores, NYC, L.A., S.F., many of the bigger cities have great little used places

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 00:32
Maybe Doug Larson and Greg Walker will let you mail them checks/money orders after you place an online order.  They're both great guys with DEEP prog catalogs.  Amazingly deep.  And they're very fair and reputable.

Mellow Candle View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 07:01

Dunno how things work where you live, but you could maybe get your own prepaid credit card and load it with lets say 50$ just to buy whatever you want and then reload it whenever you wanna use it again. That's what I do and it's been working fine Smile

Waiting for someone or something to show me the way...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 07:28
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I bought SGM's In Glorious Times at Best Buy, any of those where you live?

You should be able to get most record stores to special order for you. Best Buy usually will. That should help some.

My local Best Buy is something of a prog wasteland.  Usually what prog they stock I already have.  I get 99% of my new acquisitions via internet by credit card and as far as I know it's been safe for me.  Fortunately for me there was (when I was a prog newbie many years ago) and still are independent local stores.  I really like the idea of asking for special orders.  It might wake up whoever's doing the ordering to stock stuff they're neglecting.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 08:41
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I bought SGM's In Glorious Times at Best Buy, any of those where you live? You should be able to get most record stores to special order for you. Best Buy usually will. That should help some.

My local Best Buy is something of a prog wasteland.  Usually what prog they stock I already have.  I get 99% of my new acquisitions via internet by credit card and as far as I know it's been safe for me.  Fortunately for me there was (when I was a prog newbie many years ago) and still are independent local stores.  I really like the idea of asking for special orders.  It might wake up whoever's doing the ordering to stock stuff they're neglecting.

Remember, music stores are businesses. If it doesn't sell, they won't stock it. Merchandise is money out of the bank.

Revan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 20:51
daolnwod

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 21:15
I don't use credit cards when buying music off the internet. Everything I buy from the internet is by Money Order. It takes longer and the options are slimmer, but it's still very useful specially if you're like me and don't have any credit cards ...or your parents don't want you to use it. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply