FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLifeson Guests on the new Tiles CD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifeson Guests on the new Tiles CD
    Posted: August 08 2007 at 09:56

Tiles Reveal Final Special Guest for “Fly Paper…

Alex Lifeson of Rush reunited with his old friend Terry Brown (aka Broon) for the first time in 25 years to work on a song for the forthcoming Tiles CD “Fly Paper.” Guitarist Chris Herin provides a few details:
“Terry had approached Alex about making a guest appearance – and played him some of our new songs. Alex liked what he heard and said he would have a chance to do “something” before Rush began rehearsals for their ‘Snakes and Arrows’ tour. The window of opportunity arrived this past March – and Terry went to Alex’ studio where the two proceeded to work their magic on “Sacred and Mundane.” Listening to Alex’ parts for the first time was amazing – and the amount of work he put into the song was beyond what we could have hoped for. He came up with a counter-riff that literally ‘became’ the song; he added acoustic guitars to the refrains; played an acoustic Celtic counter-melody in the bridge; came up with a cool backwards solo in the breakdown section; and added an assortment of guitar textures and effects from start to finish. Terry and Alex spent almost 12-hours recording (well…, they did stop for dinner – as Terry usually insists upon – and who knows how long that took!). Terry has come up with a 3½ minute single edit of "Sacred and Mundane" for which we're hoping to do a video. But now it’s like I’m 15 years old all over again learning to play Alex Lifeson parts”

It’s an amazing privilege to have Alex Lifeson lend his signature guitar style to a Tiles song… along with Alannah Myles’ singing on “Back and Forth,” Kim Mitchell’s lead guitar on “Dragons, Dreams and Daring Deeds,” Hugh Syme’s keyboards on “Crowded Emptiness,” and our friends Sonya Mastick on percussion & Matthew Parmenter on keyboards… plus a vocal cameo from Nate Mills of ‘Run with the Kittens.’

That’s a lot of noteworthy help – and a lot of liner notes to organize – but we did actually do some of our own playing too…

“Fly Paper” is tentatively scheduled for a fall 2007 release.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 10:06
That should pretty much solidify the Rush camparisons. I'm not a fan of Tiles, but I'm sort of a Rush completionist so I'll probably end up having to buy this.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 14:15
I can only hope this album ends up being better than Window Dressing, which I found, ehrm... bad.  Presents of Mind was MUCH, SO MUCH better.

About Lerxst working with Terry Brown, I wonder if them meeting again ignited sparks strong enough for Broon to work with Rush again for their next album ????
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 23:07
Yeah i agree with the "Presents Of Mind" and "Window Dressing" thoughts.Having said that i do like this band a great deal and really look forward to this release with fingers crossed of courseLOL.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 07:46
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

I can only hope this album ends up being better than Window Dressing, which I found, ehrm... bad.  Presents of Mind was MUCH, SO MUCH better.

Interesting comment. I bought Window Dressing and was underwhelmed by it in general. I might give Presents of Mind a go?

In what ways is it better?

Edited by Terra Australis - August 09 2007 at 07:47
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 11:04

About Lerxst working with Terry Brown, I wonder if them meeting again ignited sparks strong enough for Broon to work with Rush again for their next album ????

That could be interesting. I never really knew why Rush stopped using him. He was a huge factor in their Prog masterpieces.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 11:13
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

That could be interesting. I never really knew why Rush stopped using him. He was a huge factor in their Prog masterpieces.

Man, you should buy the book "Contents Under Pressure : 30 Years of Rush".  Author Martin Popoff interviews Neil, Geddy and Alex in an "album by album" way, collecting the guys' thoughts on EVERY album.

Anyway, they stopped working with Broon due to Signals ; Alex was so displeased with the production (keyboards too loud and guitars WAY too low) and so was the rest of the band, that they decided it was time for them to try something new, find new producers with new and refreshing approaches.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 11:16
Originally posted by Terra Australis Terra Australis wrote:

Interesting comment. I bought Window Dressing and was underwhelmed by it in general. I might give Presents of Mind a go?

The songwriting overall is SO much better on Presents of Mind, the production also.  There is a sense of direction and inspiration on P.O.M. that was definitely lacking on WD.  The instrumentation and arrangments are great.  The instrumentals also.  In fact, EVERYTHING about P.O.M. is way better than EVERYTHING on WD.  You should definitely try it out.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 14:13
I saw Tiles in 2005.  I really liked drummer Pat Deleon who is not with the band anymore.  The guy was a monster.  Chris is good guitarist and songwriter and Jeff is a great bass player.  But the singer....Dead

They are however great people.  Pat telling me Jeff cut off his really long hair and donating it to kids with cancer is a great example.  I really do wish them success and I will probably buy this.

Edited by Garion81 - August 09 2007 at 14:15

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 04:53

Originally posted by Terra Australis Terra Australis wrote:

The songwriting overall is SO much better on Presents of Mind, the production also.  There is a sense of direction and inspiration on P.O.M. that was definitely lacking on WD.  The instrumentation and arrangments are great.  The instrumentals also.  In fact, EVERYTHING about P.O.M. is way better than EVERYTHING on WD.  You should definitely try it out.

Wow. Everything is better. I will try it thanks.
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 05:06
I`m excited Alex and Terry Brown caught up .. who knows , as far as Tiles goes I can see Alex and tiles working well though I`m not much of a tiles fan Presents of mind is very good but I`m a bit underwhelmed by everything else I have heard from them

You don`t suppose that this could be a very clever pre emptive strike to some how bring Terry and Alex together again that serves everybody including if we are lucky Rush as well ?

Edited by Yorkie X - August 10 2007 at 05:09
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 05:54
I really like Fence the Clear and Presents of Mind. The departure of their drummer was evident, and agree that Windows Dressing was weaker, but this sounds promising...

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
 Post Reply Post Reply