FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost Synthesizer oriented Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Synthesizer oriented Bands
    Posted: March 25 2004 at 17:12

Which bands do you think are the most sythesizer/ keyboard predominant bands ? (including organs mellotron,fender rhodes etc..)

in the older groups Genesis comes to mind or Tangerine Dream if you include them in prog.

in the newer ones probably CAST or IQ.

What are your thoughts ?

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2004 at 17:18
If you include Tangerine Dream they will probably 'win'
How about ELP?

Today...hmmm...don't know...
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2004 at 17:27

TD is an important reference in term of synth-prog band...from their beginning until today, they used all kind of keyboards ( 'electric organs' farfisa & teisco type in 'Alpha Centauri'...the big Moog in 'Zeit', Hammond organ, analog (virgin years)& numeric synth.

In the same genre we can also include K.Schulze and all the Berlin scene...so, the most electronic side of prog music

Aztech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2004 at 17:29

Ok so lets leave Tangerine Dream out for now because they are mostly a " Synth band":  German Pinkfloydish in stlye, for those who don't know them.

yeah ELP are definitely keyboard dominant in their music.Any others ? 

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2004 at 18:05

Eno

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2004 at 18:25
Niacin
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 03:57

German band Eloy have a heavy synth laden sound.Check out their early eighties albums Planets and Time To Turn.

As far as organ based prog then Genesis (1970-1975) and more recently Par Lindh Project spring to mind although I'm sure there are loads of other examples.ELP are the best example of keyboard based prog because they were lead by a keyboard player and didn't have a lead guitarist Check out their album Brain Salad Surgery(1973) .Also worth mentioning is the solo stuff of Rick Wakeman including Six Wives of Henry VIII(1973) and Dave Greenslade.

Canadian band Rush used synth a lot on their eighties albums including  Moving Pictures (1980) and  Power Windows (1986) ,the latter being the closest they got to ELP 'territory'.

Hammar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 06:29

Rick Wakeman is a good example!

The Nice with Keith Emerson, or Kraftwerk - Autobahn, if you can call it prog?

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 10:41
I know I keep bringing up this Hungarian band which apparently nobody cares for but Omega features a lot of synths in their music from 1973 onward when they started to record in West Germany and began to have access to  better equipment. Check out the albums Hall Of Floaters In The Sky, Time Robber and Gammapolis. Their trademark song, Nem tudom a neved ( I Don`t Know Your Name) was synths all the way and this song even caused a Rolling Stone Magazine reviwer to sum up the band in one short sentence, " For everyone who wants to grow up to be a synthesizer".  Hawkwind also incorporated a lot of keyboards throughout the years. Spirit Of The Age, Electric TeePee etc. Just about every band who was playing within the style of Prog Rock was experimenting with the new keyboard technology to some extent back in the early 70`s. The guy who did it right though, in my humble opinion, was Kerry Minear of Gentle Giant. I guess having being formally trained he knew how to keep it subtle you don`t hear him doing all the freaking out like a lot of guys did like Emerson, Van der Linden and Wakeman, doing the Hendrix thing only on keyboards. Rather Minear`s playing was always more integral rather than "flashy".

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Aztech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 10:45
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

German band Eloy have a heavy synth laden sound.Check out their early eighties albums Planets and Time To Turn.

As far as organ based prog then Genesis (1970-1975) and more recently Par Lindh Project spring to mind although I'm sure there are loads of other examples.ELP are the best example of keyboard based prog because they were lead by a keyboard player and didn't have a lead guitarist Check out their album Brain Salad Surgery(1973) .Also worth mentioning is the solo stuff of Rick Wakeman including Six Wives of Henry VIII(1973) and Dave Greenslade.

Canadian band Rush used synth a lot on their eighties albums including  Moving Pictures (1980) and  Power Windows (1986) ,the latter being the closest they got to ELP 'territory'.

I have ELP Brain Salad Surgery... ,Moving Pictures, Power Windows etc and also alot of Klause Schulze but i've yet to discover the others: Par Lindh Project ? and Dave Greenslade? I've listen to a bit of the Six Wives... but its been too long  : I don't remember I don't recall...

------------------------------------------------------------ -

As for Eno I heard a lot of hype about this guy so I decided to listened to "Green" = Its neither prog nor good to me .

I don't know Niacin I wish there was an MP3 to sample this band.

I know autobahn and others from Kraftwerk and it is not prog to me.

Any other synth predominant bands you can think of not mentionned ???

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 11:13
Originally posted by Aztech Aztech wrote:

Niacin is playing a kind of fusion thing but sometimes they sound like ELP but a bit faster and the bass is louder...3 band members, Drums, Bass and Organ/Keyboards (I think Hammond B3 or so)

I only have the live album 'blood sweat and beers' and I love it...try it if you like fusion or ELP...or Keyboards, Organs   

If you want a band that is Synth predominant try 'Ozric Tentacles' I like it but SOMETIMES I think it's techno  ...a bit exaggerated

George Orwell
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 11:27
Aztech - Dave Greenslade was the keyboard player for Colloseum in the late 60s early 70s; best album to check out from this period is 'Valentyne Suite' - I guarantee, you will not be disappointed, especially if you're a fan of the classic Hammond sound

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 11:37
Originally posted by Aztech Aztech wrote:

I know autobahn and others from Kraftwerk and it is not prog to me.

Prog4you: they have a Niacin MP3, as well as others.

Check this out:

http://www.prog4you.com/mp3.htm

Aztech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 13:08

Thanks Guys I'll check out the Niacin MP3 . I'll check out Dave Greenslade (keyboard player for Colloseum)

I already have some Ozric even the DVD         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;      (mostly technoish and atmospheric synths)

arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 13:52

well, Cairo is a good example of the keys oriented bands nowadays..., hummm, perhaps Genesis in the very begginings, chroma key of course..., well not to much but Planet X... and  ELP, let me search a little bit harder...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 14:01

Lands End/Transience:

Fred Hunter plays some interesting stuff. A lot of atmospheric backgrounds.

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2004 at 08:18

THE ENID : their mainman, Robert John Godfrey is a gifted keyboardist, classical-influenced.

JORDAN RUDESS : he released some great albums. "Listen" in 1993 had good moments and blistering keyboard work. His collaboration with Rod Morgenstein gave rise to exciting songs. His latest solo effort "Feeding the wheel" is a jazz-fusion-metal opus that features such monsters as Terry Bozzio on drums, Steve Morse on guitars and there is a wide range of keyboard styles. With Tony Levin and other DT mates, he played also a wide variety of styles in the "Liquid Tension Experiment" project.

AYREON : on their masterpiece, "Into the electric castle" There are some interesting keyboard parts, played esentially by Eric Norlander (but I wouldn't recommend his solo discography).

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2004 at 13:07
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

JORDAN RUDESS : he released some great albums. "Listen" in 1993 had good moments and blistering keyboard work. His collaboration with Rod Morgenstein gave rise to exciting songs. His latest solo effort "Feeding the wheel" is a jazz-fusion-metal opus that features such monsters as Terry Bozzio on drums, Steve Morse on guitars and there is a wide range of keyboard styles. With Tony Levin and other DT mates, he played also a wide variety of styles in the "Liquid Tension Experiment" project.

...and his work with Liquid Tension Experiment is AWESOME...I love it and I HAVE to listen to 'when the water breaks' every day because I'm addicted
I also have 'Feeding the wheel' ... awesome album and great keyboards, O.k. it's a solo album (but various famous musicians are featured on this album) from a keyboarder  
George Orwell
Rui__ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2004 at 15:06

Schicke, Führs & Fröhling

http://www.nordseemusikanten.de/sff/

Edited by Rui__
progchain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 14:24

Maybe they're not Prog but I think Silver Apples.

About Italian prog surely Battiato or Il Balletto di Bronzo. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>