Topic ClosedMost Synthesizer oriented Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 17:05
Originally posted by Aztech Aztech wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

German band Eloy have a heavy synth laden sound.Check out their early eighties albums Planets and Time To Turn.

As far as organ based prog then Genesis (1970-1975) and more recently Par Lindh Project spring to mind although I'm sure there are loads of other examples.ELP are the best example of keyboard based prog because they were lead by a keyboard player and didn't have a lead guitarist Check out their album Brain Salad Surgery(1973) .Also worth mentioning is the solo stuff of Rick Wakeman including Six Wives of Henry VIII(1973) and Dave Greenslade.

Canadian band Rush used synth a lot on their eighties albums including  Moving Pictures (1980) and  Power Windows (1986) ,the latter being the closest they got to ELP 'territory'.

I have ELP Brain Salad Surgery... ,Moving Pictures, Power Windows etc and also alot of Klause Schulze but i've yet to discover the others: Par Lindh Project ? and Dave Greenslade? I've listen to a bit of the Six Wives... but its been too long  : I don't remember I don't recall...

For Par Lindh Project I would recommend Gothic Impressions which is on a par with Anglagard Hybris (also recommended). 

Wakeman's Six Wives Of Henry VIII is a classic keyboard driven prog album.You should have this one!

Also maybe worth a mention is Vangelis Heaven and Hell which has some wonderfull synth work from Mr Papathanassiou.This is more 'symphonic' than 'prog' but still worth checking out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12