Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 495051
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 08:05

Buon compleanno Claudio Wink :

PANDORA – Dramma Di Un Poeta Ubriaco

Dramma di un Poeta Ubriaco

- Did you think Il Bacio Delle Medusa is the best new Italian progrock band in the last five years? Well, check out Italian four piece formation Pandora, what an exciting sound! The band is rooted in 2006, inspired by Genesis, Yes, PFM, New Trolls and Dream Theater. After a serie of concerts in early 2008, Pandora got a record deal with the known Italian label Btf., specialized in progressive rock.
- On their debut album Dramma Di Un Poeta Ubriaco (7 tracks, running time 63 minutes) Pandora is scouting the borders between Classic Italian Prog, symphonic rock, Heavy Prog and prog metal in a very exciting way. We can enjoy lots of bombastic and compelling atmospheres, loaded with heavy guitarplay, sensational keyboardwork (3 members play on keyboards!) and thunderous drumming by Claudio Colombo like Il Giudizio Universale (exciting break, great wah-wah guitar and passionate Italian vocals), the instrumental March To Hell (swirling Hammond organ solo, fat Minimoog sound and obvious Dream Theater elements), Pandora (the piano is wonderfully blended in the heavy sound) and the titletrack (beautiful Grand piano intro and a splendid grand finale with compelling keyboardwork and a very moving guitar solo, goose bumps). But in other songs Pandora also deliver great build-ups like Così Come Sei (from dreamy with soaring keyboards and acoustic guitar to compelling with a strong electric guitar/synthesizer duet and bombastic with furious drumwork and heavy guitar) or mellow like Breve Storia di San George (wonderful blend of acoustic guitar, flute-Mellotron, warm Italian vocals, classical orchestrations, delicate harpsichord runs and a pleasant flute solo in the end). The most elaborate composition is the final track entitled Salto Nel Buio (close to 14 minutes), it sounds very varied and contains lots of captivating, very flowing shifting moods and surprising musical ideas, from a short interlude with acoustic guitar and choir-Mellotron to a piece with prog metal overtones and a jazzy vibraphone solo. The final part is very exciting featuring fat synthesizer flights and propulsive drum beats, slowly fading away, I am in Progheaven!
- My simple conclusion: highly recommended and ... play it loud!

This is my second best new progrock album of 2008 (after Pentadelia by Albatros)

Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 28 2008 at 08:08
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 08:17
very nice Erik Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Claudio_Colombo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 09:24
that wonderful surprise guys, thank you very much for the thought! I hope your holidays are going well and that the new year bring you much good music!!
SmileBig smile

Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

By the way, have you listened to Il Bacio Delle Medusa, another excellent new Italian progrock band?

"Il Bacio della Medusa" make music with sounds different from our, but is always a pleasure to have colleagues who make good music!Clap

Good Holidays and happy new year!Star

Claudio (Pandora)

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 09:26

Grazie Micky, I have my nice moments, haha LOL

Grazie Claudio, good to read that you appreciate Il Bacio Delle Medusa Thumbs Up

More interesting new progrock:

MAZE OF TIME – Lullaby For Heroes (****)

- This is a Swedish five piece band, after the self-pressed mini-album Under The Sun (3 songs) from 2003, their debut CD Maze Of Time (pleasant blend of symphonic rock and neo-prog) was relased by the Dutch label AMR Productions in 2006 and now we can enjoy the delayed new CD entitled Lullaby For Heroes, again on the Dutch label Art Performance Production (in 2008).

- With a slightly changed line-up (lead singer Jesper Landen instead of guitarplayer/singer Christer Lindstroem) ‘the Mazekeepers’ showcase a stunning progress on their new album, after a few listening sessions I noticed that this CD grows and grows! The sound on the 8 compositions alternates between neo-prog, melodic rock, symphonic rock and progmetal. I am very pleased with the tasteful keyboard colouring (from tender piano to bombastic organ and often pleasant interplay with the guitar), the strong English vocals (evoking Uriah Heep singer Bernie Shaw) and the flowing rhythm-section. But the focal point is the excellent guitarwork by  Robert I Erdman, from propulsive heavy riffs to fiery, howling and moving runs, inspired by the famous rock guitarists but with an own touch, he succeeds to add an extra dimension to many songs, especially in Chemical Sleep (Malmsteen-like heavy solo as a perfect end of that song), wah-wah drenched and in the final part an exciting build-up solo in the splendid track Do Androids? and fiery interplay with lush organ in Temple Of The Gods. The best examples of Mazo Of Time their progress can be heard on the longer compositions Lullaby For Heroes (varied with splendid shifting moods and great work on guitar and keyboards), the alternating Do Androids? (tasteful Fender piano and sensational interplay between guitar and keyboards) and the magnum opus Temple Of The Gods (17 minutes): lots of compelling moments with wonderful guitarwork and beautiful organ waves.

- I started to rate this album with 3,5 stars but in the end I give 4 stars, a big hand for this very promising Swedish formation that will please a wide progrock audience with this varied and melodic new album!

MAGRATHEA – In Search Of The Crystal (***1/2)

In Search of the Crystal
- This UK progrock band was founded in 1993 as a five-piece formation but on their debut album entitled Entropy (2001) they were already reduced to a quartet. And on the next albums Legends and Legends Remain (both in 2004) Magrathea was even turned to a duo only featuring founding members Gary Gordon (guitar and bass) and Glenn Alexander (vocals, keyboards and drums). This is also the line-up on their new record entitled In Search Of The Crystal, check out the funny story about the title by Glenn Alexander on their offical website.

- Listening to the new album In Search Of The Crystal, I notice that Magrathea still makes melodic and accessible music that scouts the borders between symphonic rock (in the vein of 76-77 Genesis) and neo-prog (early Marillion/IQ/Pendragon) but to me the nine compositions (running time at about one hour) sound more elaborate and less derivative. I am very pleased with the tasteful keyboard colouring, the wonderful flowing electric guitar work and the dynamic interplay between the two musicians. My highlights are It’s About That Time! (compelling eruptions with bombastic keyboards and Moog Taurus bass pedal sound), Passion Play (fat synthesizer flights and exciting and powerful interplay between organ and runs), Magician (strong accellaration with synthesizer solo and wonderful guitarwork with use of volume pedal), Heaven Is Never Enough (Prog Heaven with bombastic keyboards like a choir-Mellotron sound, fiery electric guitar, bass pedals and slow synthesizer solo) and the excellent ‘magnum opus’ Interactive Dreamers (13 minutes) that showcases Magrathea at their best: powerful electric guitarplay, spectacular synthesizer flights, compelling bombastic outbursts (with choir-Mellotron sound) and lots of strong shifting moods and interesting breaks, how exciting!

- A big hand for Magrathea, what a progression these two guys have made on their new album!

JAEN KIEF – Las Hadas No Vuelan Mas II. El Agua De Frente (***1/2)
Las Hadas No Vuelan Mas-II El Aqua De Frente
- In an interview on the Internet the guitarplayer Juan Carlos talks about Jaen Kief (from Colombia!) their music and he notices that the music press has difficulties to classify their very varied and experimental progrock sound, he says “it is rock and something more”. We could enjoy this on their debut album Las Hadas No Vuelan Mas (from 2003) and I finished my review with the sentences “This makes listening to Jaen Kief to a pleasant musical journey” and “Do they still exist?”.
- Well, in 2006 this new album was released and in 2008 the French progrock label Musea has distributed it worldwide. To me it sounds more mature and elaborate than their previous effort and I am delighted about the typical Latin-American touch: that melodic and pleasant blend of several styles, presented by very good musicians. The climates range from dreamy to up-tempo rock, from classically inspired to folky and 24-carat symphonic rock and the instrumentation is very lush: plesant and often warm Spanish duo-vocals (male/female), swinging acoustic rhythm guitar, powerful saxophone, cheerful flute-traverse, tender Grand piano, fiery and moving electric guitar solos, an adventurous rhythm-section, Spanish guitar and wonderful classical keyboard orchestrations.
- I repeat my words that Jaen Kief their music is a pleasant musical journey, on this album even more exciting and varied, the 10 beautiful compositions deliver lots of variety, emotion and excellent skills on a wide range of instruments (especially the long track Tus Suenos De Tul is top notch progrock from Latin-America), a sound to discover!

SERGIO ALVAREZ - Naturalezas Disonantes (***1/2)
Naturalezas Disonantes
- Sergio Alvarez was born in the Argentine city Necochea in 1967 and grew up in a musical family, his father was a bandonion player and conductor of his own Tango Orchestra in the Fifties. In his early childhood he started to play piano, together with his elder brothers. In 1987 he founded the formation In Extremis that existed 10 years and produced one album entitled Solo Seduccion (1995), a blend of rock, pop and progressive. In the late Nineties Sergio his music is firmly rooted into the Classic Symphonic Rock tradition like Genesis, Yes and ELP, to be heard on his acclaimed first solo CD Pasaje A La Revelación in 1999. In 2000 Sergio made his second album called Escenas De Ficción. At the same time Sergio made a live show as support-act of the legendary English keyboard wizard Rick Wakeman in the Gran Rex Theatre in Buenos Aires. In 2003 he performed a small tour in Europe and three years later Sergio released his third solo album called Naturalezas Disonantes, in the same year he performed on the annual Baja Prog Festival in Mexico. In January 2007 Sergio released a DVD entilted Sergio Alvarez Live At Auditorium Theatre Necochea and recently he is working in a micro musical project for television and beginning to compose his next album, organizing future shows in Argentina and preparing international concerts for 2009.
- On his third solo album entitled Naturalezas Disonantes Sergio half of the ten compositions (7 instrumentals, running time 55 minutes) contains tradional keyboard driven symphonic rock (often obviously inspired by Banks but also Emerson and Wakeman) with flowing shifting moods like in the tracks Leaving Of The Urban Territory (fluent synthesizer flights, strong break with a guitar solo – produced by his keyboards - and swinging piano and a slow synthesizer solo, culminating in a compelling atmosphere), Absurd Promises (great keyboards, from tender or sparkling piano to pleasant synthesizer work and moving guitar runs), When The Road Is Far Ahead (bombastic organ and synthesizers), Without Time (powerful organ sound, classically inspired synthesizer work and wonderful interplay between electric guitar and piano) and the titletrack (tasteful jazzy Fender Rhodes electric piano sound, a swirling organ solo and fluent synthesizer flights). But in comparison with his two previous efforts, Sergio has broaden his musical horizon, the other half of this album contains a lot of varied songs: a dreamy ballad with warm vocals and pleasant synthesizer runs (but a bit irritating rhythm box sound) in Let’s Wake Up Now, a sultry climate with ominous keyboards, the sound of Indian tablas and a captivating Morish sounding synthesizer solo in Travel From Orient, New Age oriented atmosphere with dreamy piano and soaring keyboards in the a bit smooth The Landscape Of The Sensibility, a beautiful solo piece featuring Grand piano (from tender to sparkling) and majestic classical orchestrations in the final track The End Of The Revalation.
- My conclusion: I prefer Sergio to make interesting musical experiments like Travel From Orient rather than smooth New Age but in general I am very pleased with Sergio his accessible sounding keyboard driven album. This Argentine keyboard virtuoso knows how to arrange tasteful and varied songs with a good balance between the keyboards and the rest of the instruments.

Thumbs Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 28 2008 at 09:42
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 15:35

More:

PPRY – Raising The Skeletons Of Fire By Hand (***)
Raising the Skeletons of Fire by Hand
- PPRY was formed in Riihimäki, Finland 1993 as a medium for its members to perform musical material. In 2000 they released their debut album Project Forest, in 2002 the album Stolen under the temporary name Project (in 2005 re-released by the Italian progrock label Mellow Records) and recently (late 2008) PPRY has released their third effort entitled Raising The Skeletons Of Fire By Hand, a concept album that tells what really happened in Sarajevo in 1914 (when the archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated), according to PPRY department of research and study.
- PPRY their sound on this new album (six compositions, running time 70 minutes) is varied and often atmospheric: ominous keyboards, twanging acoustic guitar and a final part with a sensitive electric guitar solo in At The Brink Of Madness, lots of flowing shifting moods (from folky to psychedelic) and wonderful vintage keyboards (like Hammond organ and clavinet) in The Procession Forms, from compelling with fiery guitar/lush organ and spacey with synthesizers to a heavy swinging rhythm with flute, synthesizer, Hammond and a fiery (Gilmourian) guitar solo in the alternating For The Presence Of Those Who Are The Sentinel, exciting propulsive and heavy climates with inventive work on guitar and keyboards in The Herald And Their Tiran and again a varied sound with wonderful synthesizer work in A Passage To The Court Prevails. The ghost of the early Pink Floyd era (1970-1973) reigns in the long and alternating composition As A Single Word Sets Forth An Ocean Of Souls: interesting changing atmospheres with compelling work on guitar, Hammond and synthesizers.
- Although the English vocals are mediocre and in some songs the music sounds a bit too fragmentic or lacks direction, I am pleased with PPRY their adventurous blend of several styles that delivers lots of interesting and sometimes very compelling musical moments.

ALY – Hypotesis Ubicua (***/12)
Hipotesis Ubicua
- Aly is a musical project of Alonso Romero, he was born in Mexico (1979), started to study piano when he was 8 and he is playing guitar since his 13th. He has a varied taste: with the band Toccata he released the album entitled Circe (2005) on which he plays guitar in the progmetal vein but he also made a classical album with flute and guitar.
- We can find back this captivating contrast between rock and classical on Aly their instrumental debut album Hypotesis Ubicua. Alonso has invited a wide range of musicians featuring drummer Adolfo Ramundo who recently toured with the new line-up of Italian progrock legend Il Balletto Di Bronzo. On most of the nine compositions Alonso delivers heavy guitarwork with obvious hints of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, fueled by a thunderous rhythm-section evoking Metallica and Opeth, very exciting and I am impressed by Alonso his furious, blistering and biting guitar runs and propulsive fat guitar riffs. The most interesting element of Aly their music is in my opinion the way he blends the sound of varied keyboards with the powerful guitarwork, often this evokes a lot of tension in the Aly sound: dazzling interplay with synthesizers (El Aspecto Sombrío De La Desinhibición and Sirenas Poseídas En La Mente De Omicrón), lush organ waves (Necesidad Ilimitada), dreamy piano work (Instinto En La Nostalgia) and orchestral keyboards (Ocular). Another wonderful contrast on this album is the short track Ocaso Inesperado that contains classical guitar, it sounds very warm. But the highlight is the ‘magnum opus progressivus’ Meh - Lahn - Coh - Lih – Ah, a 25 minutes composition that is divided into six alternating parts: from a majestic violin-Mellotron intro, soaring keyboards with howling guitar runs and an interlude with dreamy keyboards to an exciting wah-wah drenched guitar solo with populsive drums, powerful Hammond organ with heavy guitar work, a bombastic prog metal climate and a beautiful final part delivering acoustic rhythm guitar and a choir-Mellotron-like sound, goose bumps!
- What an exciting debut album, I am sure the progmetal – and Heavy Prog fans and heavy metal guitar freaks wil be delighted about Aly their music!

THE HEALING ROAD – Timanfaya (****)
- This is a musical project by the German keyboardplayer/drummer Hans Peter Hess who has invited several musicians on the three solo albums he released between 2006 and 2008 (The Healing Road, Timanfaya and Tales From The Dream). The name is derived from Rush drummer Neil Peart his book "Ghost Rider - Travels on The Healing Road", it is Hans Peter his favorite one.
- On his instrumental second album Timanfaya (running time 50 minutes) we can enjoy nine varied and very tastefully arranged compositions that range from spacey, electronic oriented and mellow with sensitive electric guitar or Grand piano to bombastic with powerful Hammond organ and spectacular synthesizer flights or propulsive rhythms with fiery guitar and dynamic drums. I cannot trace a weak song but I would like to mention my highlights: an exciting atmosphere with a fluent rhythm, sensational keyboard work and strong interplay between guitar and keyboards in the great opener Devil’s Garden and the alternating Crashing Waves, the sound of Indian tablas and Fender Rhodes electric piano along subtle guitarplay in the strongly build-up Crater Camels, wonderful keyboards (from a swinging piano to a slow synthesizer solo) and varied guitarwork (from a Floydian solo to biting wah-wah) in the captivating Observe And Learn and lots of dynamics, keyboard pyrotechnics and exciting shifting moods in the long Fire Mountains, this is Progheaven!
- I am not familiar with Hans Peter his other two solo albums, if these are at the same level The Healing Road is an excellent new German progrock band to discover!

GERSON WERLANG – Memorias Do Tempo (***1/2)
Memorias do Tempo
- Gerson is the guitarplayer of the Brasilian progrock band Pocos E Nuvens, this is his first solo album. The sound is varied but most remarkable is the important role for the warm, frequently intense Portuguese vocals (male, female and duo) like in the shorte songs Colheita De Inverno (wonderful violin), Vozes Outonais (in combination with piano), Ao Pouco Que Resta (beautifully blended with sitar and classical guitar), Do Exílio Voluntário (also twanging guitar and violin) and the final composition Epitáfio (soaring keyboards). The longer tracks sound pretty progressive featuring a lush instrumentation: classical guitar, vibraphone and violin in the very alternating Invocação (from dreamy with flute-Mellotron and twanging guitar to compelling and bombastic or a fluent mid-tempo with fiery guitar and propulsive drums), violin and harpsichord in the also alternating Rosa Mística (frequent sensitive electric guitar runs and a strong grand finale with guitar, organ and vocals) and soaring keyboards, propulsive guitar riffs, bombastic organ and howling guitar in the strongly build-up Saudades Da Serra.
- I had to get used to the contrast between the folky and classically oriented parts with warm and emotional Portuguese vocals and the fluent and bombastic parts with exciting work on guitar and keyboards but in the end I was very pleased with this first solo album by Gerson Werlang.

ASTURIAS – In Search Of The Soul Trees (****)
In Search of the Soul Trees
- This Japanese progrock band was founded in 1987 and made 3 studio albums: Circle In The Forest (1988), Brilliant Streams (1990) and Cryptogram Illusion (1993). Then Asturias disbanded but 25 years after their latest effort, here is a surprising return in de original line-up, including members of the other known Japanese progrock formation Shingetsu.
- This new album contains two epic tracks (at about 23 and 27 minutes), both are divided into five parts. The music is, like on their previous albums, strongly influenced by Mike Oldfield but I also notice elements from folk, classical music, jazz and symphonic rock, very well blended and tastefully arranged: the one moment you hear instruments like a twanging acoustic guitar, Grand piano, cello or flute, the other moment bombastic keyboards and howling electric guitar runs. To me this album sounds as a very pleasant and varied musical journey with many interesting ideas and lots of surprising shifting moods. My highlights are the two most progressive rock oriented compositions: the alternating, often very exciting Woods Storm (lush mellotron waves, fiery guitar, a powerful Chris Squire-like bass, an acoustic guitar solo with swinging piano and a swirling Hammond organ solo) and the long Soul Trees (wonderful violin solo, great bombastic eruptions and a beautiful final part with soaring keyboards and warm classical guitar). I also like the final track Dawn featuring sensitive work on Grand piano and electric guitar, a very warm end of a strong and varied album.
- A big hand for Japanese progrock band Asturias with their convincing return after 25 years!

Good luck with your progrock quest Wink

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 28 2008 at 15:36
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2008 at 03:47

More ... two good DVD's:

GLASS HAMMER - Live At The Tivoli (****)

Live at the Tivoli DVD

- Multi-instrumentalist Fred Schendel is a genuine progrock veteran: he was in the first line-up when Glass Hammer released their first album Journey Of The Dunadan in 1993 and nowadays he is still a member of this USA progrock formation after many albums (the acclaimed Culture Of Ascent from 2007 was their latest studio effort) and this DVD is already their third live DVD, after Lex Live (2004) and Live At Belmont (2006).
- I have watched those two previous live DVD’s and if I compare these with Live At The Tivoli (10 songs, running time 100 minutes), I have to conclude that it’s superior: more varied (the band has invited The Adonia String Trio and the massive The Lee University Choral Union and The GPS Girls Choir) and Glass Hammer has matured during the years. Their very melodic sound is drenched into the Seventies symphonic rock tradition (especially Yes, ELP and Kansas) but more accessible and with an important role for the vocals (as usual in the USA progrock), along a male singer also three female vocalists. Fred Schendel delivers lots of strong keyboard work, from dazzling synthesizer flights and powerful Hammond organ runs to some majestic church organ and lush Mellotron waves. Another focal point is the guitarwork featuring lots of powerful and fiery solos and exciting interplay with the keyboards. The atmospheres in the ten compositions range from dreamy with violins (even a solo piece by The Adonia String Trio in Longer) and acoustic guitar to bombastic and up-tempo with splendid work on guitar and keyboards, especially in the track Knight Of The North and Having Caught A Glimpse, this is Glass Hammer at their best: exciting shifting moods with swirling Emersonian Hammond organ, fat synthesizer flights, powerful interplay between the musicians and compelling final parts with a huge choir and church organ, in the true White-Anglo-Saxon-Protestant church tradition, haha! The final song is the Yes cover South Side Of The Sky (the studio version featured Jon Anderson), Glass Hammer does a decent job with good female vocals and a strong fiery guitar solo.
- In my opinion Glass Hammer this DVD showcases Glass Hammer at their best, recommended!

RED SAND – Au Cabaret Du Liquor Store (***1/2)

Au Cabaret de Liquor Store

- After the studio-albums Mirror Of Insanity (2005), Gentry (2005) and Human Trafficking (2007), the Canadian formation Red Sand decided to release a live DVD entitled Au Cabaret Du Liquor Store. The title points at a place in Quebec where the regular concert was recorded but this DVD also contains a short ‘unplugged session recorded in the Resto-Bar in Beaugarte (2006).
- Red Sand their sound is firmly rooted in the early Marillion tradition. Especially guitarist Simon Caron often plays very similar to Steve Rothery: moving with frequent howling runs and use of the tremolo arm. At some moments his sound is more in the vein of Andy Latimer like in the Camel inspired Lost, a very beautiful song that contains wonderful interplay between the guitar and piano. But in general Red Sand sounds like early Marillion, the more bombastic parts in Human Trafficking and Submissive (both layered with compelling Mellotron waves) are close to the compelling final parts in the Marillion epics Chelsea Monday and Forgotten Sons. And the track Blame reminds me of Market Square Heroes, very catchy and enthousiastic. So lots of early Marillion hints but I don’t mind because Red Sand plays warm and inspired and the fans love it! The singer acts like a blend of Peter Gabriel and Fish with his police costume (Human Trafficking), mask and red cap (Submissive) and strait jacket (Blame) but more subdued, not as theatrical as his heroes. The lightshow is no more or less than functional and the stories are in French but the vocals in English (with an obvious accent). The ‘unplugged’ session (15 minutes) contains four sompositions (Loving Child, World, Cradle and Gentry) that sound beautiful and pretty romantic featuring inspired vocals, delicate piano work and warm acoustic guitar, especially the rendition of Gentry is great with a fine guitar solo.
- This DVD is not optimal in terms of recordings and visuals, nonetheless it showcases Red Sand their tasteful early Marillion inspired sound with emotional guitarwork and wonderful Mellotron waves.

For more information, see:         http://www.progwalhalla.nl/index.php?language=en

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 29 2008 at 03:50
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2008 at 04:00

More interesting new progrock albums:

ANIMA MUNDI - Jagannath Orbit (****)
Jagannath Orbit
- In 2002 the promising Cuban formation Anima Mundi delivered thier debut album entitled Septentrion, a very pleasant and melodic album that scouts the borders between neo-prog, symphonic rock and progfolk. We had to wait six years at this new album (2008) and I can tell you it was worth waiting that long, very worth!
- On Jagannath Orbit the sound is more in the 24-carat symphonic rock tradition, blended with subtle contributions by guest musicians on clarinet, bassoon, bagpipes and digeridoo. The long and varied first compsoition We Are The Light (close to 18 minutes) turns out to be the way to Progheaven: first mellow with piano and soaring keyboards, then alternating between swinging, bombastic, dreamy and a mid-tempo featuring wonderful work on vintage keyboards (Hammond, Mellotron, Minimoog), wah-wah guitar, Yes-like bass and vocal harmonies and a breathtaking final part with sumptuous choir-mellotron and sensitive electric guitar, goose bumps! The other six compositions (two instrumentals) also deliver lots of excitement like the strong guitarwork (including biting wah-wah) in Toward The Adventure, a majestic church-organ sound, moving guitar and beautiful Mellotron waves in There's A Place Not Faraway, a spectaculair break with guitar and keyboards, again wonderful vintage keyboards and wah-wah guitar in the long and compelling instrumental Rhythm Of The Spheres and splendid Minimoog flights, choir-Mellotron and a Progheaven Grand Finale with fiery guitar and lush keyboards in the final track Sanctuary.
- A big hand for this Cuban progrock formation, these guys have perfectly used the six years between their first and second album, highly recommended!

AVIVA OMNIBUS – Nutcracker In A Fury (***1/2)
Nutcracker in Fury
- In 2007 the progrock world was pleasantly surprised with the instrumental debut album Rokus Tonalis by the Russian musical project Aviva, led by Russian keyboard player Dimitri A. Loukanienko who played Grand piano, keyboards, bass, samples and programmed drums and percussion. The music on Rokus Tonalis has strong echoes from bombastic keyboard driven prog in the vein of ELP and Japanese Gerard featuring a powerful Hammond sound, fluent piano runs and flashy synthesizer flights, very spectacular. The song The Valse At The End Of Times delivers a guest-musician on guitar, he gives a very powerful touch to the music with raw and propulsive guitar work. Some tracks sound quite experimental with soaring keyboards and weird voices. That about the first album.
- On his new album Nutracker In A Fury (2008) Dimitri has changed the name into Aviva Omnibus and he is accompanied by two guitarists, a bassist/drummer and a second keyboard player who also plays violin. The sound is similar to his debut-album but even more bombastic and spectacular and the compositions are more elaborate and balanced. I am absolutely delighted about the exciting propulsive rhythms with spectacular work on synthesizer and guitar like in the tracks Overture In Fury (lots of flowing shifting moods, a varied keyboard sound, fiery guitar and sensational synthesizer flights), Dance Of The Tea Giants (very dynamic interplay, sensational sounding keyboard runs and guitar riffs that alternates between prog metal and King Crimson in the Red-era, how propulsive!) and Coda Cold (swinging and propulsive rhythms, ELP-inspired keyboard work and a heavy guitar solo). The track Heavy March includes organ runs that are paying tribute to ELP’s Nutrocker (based upon Tschaikovsky's Nutcracker) and exciting bombastic keyboard play and heavy guitar work, simply sensational! Although it’s obvious that Dimitri is inspired by Keith Emerson, he succeeds to sound original with his varied and modern souding keyboards and the use of many samples (like singing African people, steel drums and lots of voices). Some songs sound mellow like Flower Fever (sound collage) and Apotheosis (great final part with sumptuous classical orchestrations) but in general Aviva Omnibus their sound is bombastic with lots of exciting propulsive rhythms and spectacular work on keyboards and guitar.
- What a thrill to listen to Nutcracker In A Fury, highly recommended, especially to the aficionados of keyboard-driven progrock!

SURVIVAL – Crusader (****)
Crusador
- This is a musical project by Dutch keyboard player Jack Langevelt, a huge fan of the Seventies symphonic rock and the late keyboard wizard Rick Van Der Linden. Between 1981 and 1997 Survival existed in its first line-up, then disbanded but fortunately Jack didn’t give up and now we can enjoy the Musea release of his first album entitled Crusader (2008).
- From the very first moment I listened to this instrumental album, I was carried away to Vintage Keyboard heaven, what a wonderful and often compelling keyboard driven symphonic rock: a tight rhythm with a lush and powerful, Jon Lord-like Hammond sound, fiery guitar and propulsive drum work in The Holy Land, orchestral keyboards in the melancholical Lamentation, a long and swirling Hammond solo and howling duo-guitar in the titletrack, a slow rhythm with pitchbend driven synthesizer work and lush Hammond organ (like Procol Harum) in I Cried For You, sparkling piano, exciting Hammond and synthesizer play and splendid Gilmourian guitar in Exceptional Friend, majestic church organ in The Knights Templar, sensational interplay between keyboard (including a choir-Mellotron sound), guitar and rhythm-section with lots of great solos on keyboards and guitar and a compelling duet between synthesizer and guitar in the long Montsigard and a dreamy final track entitled After All featuring beautiful interplay between warm piano and soaring keyboards. It's a subtle conclusion of an often bombastic and compelling sounding album that frequently reminds me of Trace and Japanese progrock band Gerard (but I wonder or Jack has ever heard of that Japanese progrock band).
- Anyway, a big hand for Dutch formation Survival and big alert for the vintage keyboard aficionados!

MINDFIELDS – One (***1/2)
One
- I just finished my review about Loonypark their debut CD Egoist and now again I am writing a review about a new Polish band, incredible, what a fertile progrock ground!
- On their modern sounding debut album One the Polish quintet Mindfields starts with the alternating composition In This Life, from mellow with piano/strings and a tight mid-tempo rhythm with fiery guitar and lush organ to a wonderful part with piano and orchestral keyboards and strong solos on guitar and synthesizer. Every song (the albums contains 8 songs, running time 50 minutes) is followed by a short instrumental track featuring beautiful classical guitar (the final one also soaring keyboards). The other three compositions deliver lots of variety: a spacey intro, Hendrix-like wah-wah guitar, Floydian inspired guitar runs and an exciting duel between guitar and synthesizer in Ready To Live, lots of shifting moods and tasteful work on guitar and keyboards in Home and a compelling final part with heavy guitar, lush organ and powerful drums beats in the highlight Nobody’s Dream.
- To me Mindfields sounds as a very promising band, I am looking forward to their next album!

LOONYPARK – Egoist (***)
Egoist
- The blossoming current Polish scene delivers another fine new band, this time the six-piece formation Loonypark with their debut CD entitled Egoist (8 compositions, running time at about 50 minutes). Apart from the mediocre English vocals (next time in Polish please!) by female singer Sabina, I enjoyed Loonypark their simply structured but pleasant and modern (neo) progrock. The strong point in their music is the warm and tasteful colouring by the keyboards and guitar: bombastic organ and propulsive guitar riffs, a howling guitar solo and a slow synthesizer solo in the compelling Time, lush keyboards (from an orchestral sound to flute-Mellotron) and powerful and sensitive guitar in the strongly build-up titletrack, a fluent synthesizer solo and wah-wah guitar in Hope, a dreamy piano intro and a moving guitar solo in Hello and a splendid final part delivering fiery guitar runs and soaring keyboards in the final track The City. Simply beautiful.

ALSO EDEN – It’s Kind Of You To Ask (***1/2)
Its kind of you to ask
- In 2006 Also Eden released their acclaimed debut CD entitled About Time, if I take a look at my review I read “I am delighted about their pleasant sound and the flowing shifting moods and accellarations”, “The singer has a strong, quite distinctive voice with a melancholical undertone”, “As references I would like to mention IQ and Marillion but with a more modern sound” and “If you are up to neo-prog, this is a band to discover!”.
- Well, listening to their new album (2008) I quickly conclude that it is in the vein of their first CD. To me it sounds like a very tasteful ‘neo-prog-stew’ with Pendragon and Pallas as the most obvious ingredients, especially in the long first composition Star (from dreamy with warm vocals to powerful with propulsive guitarwork and bombastic with choir-Mellotron eruptions) and the alternating and compelling final track Photographs (a kind of “early Marillion meets Pallas”). All seven songs sound melodic with a wonderful colouring by the guitar and keyboards, pleasant vocals and interesting shifting moods and musical ideas like the sumptuous break featuring fiery guitar and powerful organ in the romantic Artificial Light and the strong build-up from mellow to compelling in the cpativating Skimming Stones. The ‘magnum opus’ on this CD is the long A Widow's Eyes (close to 13 minutes) in which we can enjoy Also Eden in its full splendor, from dreamy with twanging guitars to propulsive with Mellotron waves and synthesizer flights, check out this promising neo-prog band!

On the brink of 2009 one can say that new progrock is alive Thumbs Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 29 2008 at 04:01
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2008 at 13:55

Finally Wink :

NEMO – Barbares (****)

Barbares + SI live lim.2CD
Limited Edition Digipack 2-CD (including live disc)
- My first musical experience with Nemo was a few months after the release of their second album entitled Présages (2003), I was blown away by their dynamic and varied blend of several styles, topped with the slightly theatrical French vocals. Meanwhile I have become a huge fan and, apart from Si Partie I (a bit too experimental and fragmentic in my opinion), on every album you can notice progression, new ideas and more and more an own, very unique progrock sound. So I was very curious to this new effort, high expectations!
- Well, I quickly got excited, very excited and after a few listening sessions I already took the conclusion that Nemo has delivered their best album and I will tell you why I am that euphoric about Barbares. My main conclusion is that on this new CD Nemo sounds very well balanced, there is a great ‘flow’ in the compositions and the band even sound pretty accessible for ‘Nemo standards’, despite the frequent shiftings moods, many breaks and huge variety. But I also would like to emphasize that three elements are on a level I have never heard on previous albums. First the interplay between the guitar and keyboards: both musicians are founding members, have played together for many years and on Barbares their musical understanding is mighty close to identical twins, amazing how they follow, challenge and stimulate each other, this gives a captivating and often exciting extra dimension to the music. Second the way JPL uses the vocals, it has become an instrument in the sound of Nemo and colours the music with a very special flavor, slightly theatrical and often with strong expressive undertones. An third ‘captain’ JPL his abilities to drive the music with his powerful and varied guitarwork, from biting wah-wah drenched runs or fat guitar riffs to funky rhythm-guitar and sensitive solos (fueled by an outstanding, very flowing and adventurous rhythm-section). My highlights on Barbares are the early Eighies Rush inspired Ldi (awesome interplay, exciting guitarwork, great dynamics and a very surprising break), the great tension between the powerful drums/prog metal riffs and acoustic rhythm-guitar/piano, embellished with passionate vocals in 19.59, a swinging rhythm with bombastic organ and wah-wah guitar in Faux Semolancs and the magnum opus Barbares (25 minutes) that presents Nemo at their best featuring spectacular synthesizer flights, exciting interplay between guitar and keyboards, lots of great changing climates and some strong musical ideas like the blend of an acoustic guitar solo, tin-whistle and sparkling piano into the music, culminating in a compelling grand finale, what a band!
The bonus disc (500 copies limited edition, 15 songs, running time 71 minutes) is a live registration from 2007, you can enjoy their great power and dynamics with lots of awesome solo work on guitar and keyboards, strong interplay and a captivating live atmosphere, this is a perfect way to experience Nemo on stage, unfortunately I miss the song Une Question De Temps, one of the highlights of their Progfarm 2008 Festival gig I witnessed a few months ago.
- Despite the language gap, during the years Nemo has made more and more friends, I hope this new CD Barbares will be their breakthrough to a wider audience, they fully deserve it, what a splendid effort!

THE REASONING – Dark Angel (****)

Dark Angel
- In 2007 the six-piece UK formation The Reasoning released their debut-album entitled Awakening, to me it still sounds as very pleasant and accessible modern progressive rock with tasteful colouring by the guitar and keyboards, my highlight is the long and compelling final composition featuring Marillion guitarist Steve Rothery who delivers his trademark of the early Marillion years: a moving solo with howling runs.
- One year later The Reasoning has released the successor entitled Dark Angel (running time at about 50 minutes), the sound is in the vein of Awakening but more dynamic and varied. The alternating first track Dark Angel sounds very exciting, from fat and propulsive guitar riffs with bombastic keyboards and mellow with twanging acoustic guitar, soaring keyboards and sensitive electric guitar to a spectacular final part with bombastic keyboards, vocal harmonies and a fiery guitar solo. It’s a strong start of a strong album with nine elaborate compositions that deliver lots of pleasant moments and interesting musical ideas: strong and varied guitar work (including use of volume pedal) in Sharp Sea, a synthesizer – and acoustic guitar solo in Call Me God?, fiery and howling guitar runs in the compelling In The Future and strongly build-up Breaking The 4th Wall (also wonderful interplay between warm piano and fiery electric guitar) and fluent shifting moods in the excellent final composition A Musing Dream, from compelling with powerful guitar and flashy synthesizer flights and dreamy with acoustic rhythm guitar, piano and duo-vocals to an exciting bombastic second part featuring synthesizer runs, harmonica and howling guitar, goose bumps! A special element in The Reasoning is again the attention for the omnipresent vocals, from female and male to duo-vocals, this gives a very accessible touch to the music and reminds me of bands like Magenta and Mostly Autumn.
- I am sure many progheads will be delighted about this melodic and accessible modern progrock album that contains very strong guitarwork, tasteful keyboards, pleasant vocals and a good balance between dreamy and bombastic climates, recommended!

KARMAKANIC – Who’s The Boss In The Factory? (****)

Whos the boss in the factory

- During our long car drive from The Hague to Bakkeveen in Friesland because of the annual Progfarm (2008 edition with an excellent gig by Nemo and strong performances by Dutch progrock bands 5Bridges and Flamborough Head), we had plenty of time to listen to new progrock. In the end I was mostly impressed by the Swedish formation Karmakanic. I had never heard of that name, it appeared to be the solo project by the The Flower Kings bass player Jonas Reingold, it’s even his third CD (after Entering The Spectra in 2002 and Wheel Of Life in 2004) and he has invited fellow The Flower Kings members Tomas Bodin and Roine Stolt.
- The long first composition Send A Message From The Heart (almost 20 minutes) delivers very dynamic and alternating (from mellow and slow rhythms to swinging and bombastic) modern sounding progrock featuring splendid keyboard work, from majestic choir-Mellotron and powerful Hammond organ to sparkling Grand piano and a mindblowing Minimoog synthesizer solo with pitchbend in the vein of Jan Hammer in his best days, awesome! The guitarwork is also a strong element, from a jazzy solo to Gilmourian runs and a fiery solo supported by lush Hammond organ, what a start! The other five compositions also succeed to generate a lot of excitement, due to the huge variety and many captivating musical ideas: swinging acoustic guitar, fat R&R inspired guitar and a spectacular synthesizer solo in the fluent Let In Hollywood, wonderful interplay between fretless bass and Grand piano, again a fantastic vintage keyboard sound (from another flashy Minimoog solo to lush Hammond and Mellotron) to fiery wah-wah guitar and a compelling final part in the titletrack, tasteful keyboards, guitar and saxophone in the pleasant Two Blocks From The Edge, very beautiful Grand piano in the short piece Eternally Part I and again beautiful interplay between Grand piano and fretless bass along intense accordion work (evoking the Argentine tango masters), the Malmö String Ensemble and a compelling grand finale with emotional vocals in the melancholical final song Eternally Part II.
- What a great effort, so varied and dynamic and what a crafty musicians, highly recommended to every proghead in this Galaxy!

Thumbs Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 29 2008 at 13:56
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 10:44
Just had a quick listen to some Pandora tracks on MySpace. Certainly good music, and well played, but not entirely something I feel like getting right now. I'm more in a Jazz Rock / Nemo mood these days.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:23

Angelo, thanks for posting but you have missed my new thread, this is my last post in this thread, see:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 495051