Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Un Weekend De Rock Progressif  A Montreal 15&16/09
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUn Weekend De Rock Progressif A Montreal 15&16/09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Un Weekend De Rock Progressif A Montreal 15&16/09
    Posted: August 09 2007 at 06:17

Un Weekend De Rock Progressif  A Montreal 15&16/09/07:

(Salle Pierre Mercure 300, Bld de Maisonneuve Est Montreal)

Festival website:  www.fmpm.net

-The Strawbs
-IQ
-Samla Mammas Manna
-Ville Emard Blues band
-Miriodor
-Jelly Fiche
-Hamadryad
-Nathan Mahl

+ Friday Preshow :
-Quartik,Capharnaüm,Karcius

Gosh, I just wish I could have stayed  longer in Montreal... Cry

Edited by Alucard - August 09 2007 at 12:41
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 15:58
I don`t support any form of music in this basket case city any more with a few exceptions and  think I pretty much made my point (s) clear in the Montréal International Jazz Festival Thread so I`m not going to repeat myself here.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - August 09 2007 at 16:01
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 05:22
more pics from the "bascet case city"Wink

the weather is soo bad in Paris, the neurotic Parisians even more ill tempered then usual and I just have the Montreal Blues....Broken%20Heart

Edited by Alucard - August 10 2007 at 05:22

The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 07:32
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I don`t support any form of music in this basket case city any more with a few exceptions and  think I pretty much made my point (s) clear in the Montréal International Jazz Festival Thread so I`m not going to repeat myself here.

Can you please elaborate?

Basket case city?

First time I ever hear this one.
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 07:50
Ok I just read your diatribe in the Montreal ''jazz'' festival thread.
I do feel some of your....hmmmm...''pain'' about the Cranberries'chick,but Van Morrisson,he did some cool jazz oriented stuff.
I don't remember the name of the song,but the classic ''Monlight'' has a lot of jazz elements in it.

Besides,the FMPM is nothing like the jazz fest.It's a lot  more intimate,friendlier,cheaper,and you can leave the site, go eat and drink whatever you want,wherever you want ,at will.

And you won't hear Van Morrisson and the Cranberries...
pots View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 12:43
Clap
Montréal his a beautiful city with an european flavour and all the bands and musicians
love to play there (better than Toronto and some US cities) It's the second FMPM and
it's better than ever and growing up.So let's encourage prog music festivals because
it's not the newspapers and tv and commercial radios who does.So internet and music
fans passing the word is the key.Keep on proggin                              Pots
pots
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 14:36
some more pics of my favourite spots in Montreal:
 -les rapides Lachine à l'ouest,+ the small island with a lot of  birds & ornitologues 

Mont Royal:

Edited by Alucard - August 10 2007 at 14:58

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 14:39
As a Montrealer, I had a painful choice to make : either go see the FMPM or Genesis and Rush (all concerts THE SAME WEEK-END)...

In the end I chose Genesis and Rush... September 14th and 15th.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 16:59
Now that you`ve got me going.......Since the big businesses such as Sun Life & CP left thirty years ago these stupid made up "scenes" and festivals  have become nothing more than money generators which rape the essence and beauty of art. Now that we have a XXX rated fetish festival we can be rest assured that the Montréal International Nose Picking Festival complete with a parade of freaks is not far off. Combine this with all the gang related crime, car theft, pedophile activity, maniac drivers, collapsing bridges, not being able to let  your dogs run in the park and then I `d say Montréal isn`t doing too bad  as far as third world world metropolises go. Just take a look at the headlines on both English & French newspapers this morning. But if you live in immagination-land then I guess this doesn`t apply.
I`ve lived in this sl*g-heap for my whole life with the exception of a 9 year period which was work related. I was born, raised and educated here and,happy to say we have plans to leave for the townships within the next couple of years. At one time it was fun and vibrant but when I returned in the year 2000 I was shocked. I`m not saying that the grass is greener everywhere else but I`m done with this twighlight zone and just won`t encourage anyone to come here.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - August 10 2007 at 17:01
pots View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 23:30
Me too had a choice to make Genesis & Rush but I choose FMPM because I saw
Rush about 8 times and Genesis 5 times (2 with Gabriel) .Rush will be there tomorow
and Genesis (not for me without Gabriel & Hackett).I prefer to encourage local talents
and smaller bands because they really need it than big millionnaires of music.For the same price of one show I will see about8 to 10 bands and prog festivals are rare (in
Québec) we must encourage them because it's not the medias who does. Next time
check for Rush they are playing in Ottawa 21 sept and Genesis 16 sept so you could always go there to see them.It's just a personnal opinion.
pots
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 23:30

Vibrationbaby,

Gang and related crimes,car theft,pedophiles,maniac drivers,bridges collapsing...Montreal has no monopoly on those aspects.

How about Minneapolis bridge?

Like I said earlier,FMPM has nothing to do with the other'' money generator'' festivals.And belive me,they barely break even.The purpose of the event is to expose the wide variety of spectrums called progressive music.Not to piss you off.

Besides,Montreal has the best selection of restaurents and the best looking women in the world!Thumbs%20Up
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 23:39
Originally posted by pots pots wrote:

Me too had a choice to make Genesis & Rush but I choose FMPM because I saw
Rush about 8 times and Genesis 5 times (2 with Gabriel) .Rush will be there tomorow
and Genesis (not for me without Gabriel & Hackett).I prefer to encourage local talents
and smaller bands because they really need it than big millionnaires of music.For the same price of one show I will see about8 to 10 bands and prog festivals are rare (in
Québec) we must encourage them because it's not the medias who does. Next time
check for Rush they are playing in Ottawa 21 sept and Genesis 16 sept so you could always go there to see them.It's just a personnal opinion.

I agree,Genesis plays Friday and that's the reason the FMPM was postponned one day.It was supposed to be Friday/Saturday but they reschedule Saturday/Sunday.
Rush, I have seen them 3 times already and will have many more opportunties to do so, I'm sure.But how many opportunities will I have to see The Strawbs,Samla Mammas Manna,Nathan Mahl,IQ and all the other bands?
Not too many.
Besides,like you said,let's support this unique event that we have,they need it much more than al those big names.10 bands,10 different aproaches to prog music,diversity,professionalism,intimity,warmth...and a lot of fun!

pots View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 00:19
And further more those big shows are so predictable and sometimes after the show I'm  dissapointed but with prog festivals I go there with no expectation and I'm always
glad I did go (more satisfaction for less money).Maybe it's me (saw too much shows
around 300) or I'm getting too hold OR I have better taste.But for me it's FMPMt
I know it's not the popular choice but you have the right not to follow the trends that
commercial radio and all the rest of the music business want you to buy-listen-see
like sheeps.Well I think I will go to sleep now.

pots
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 04:55
Originally posted by pots pots wrote:

And further more those big shows are so predictable and sometimes after the show I'm  dissapointed but with prog festivals I go there with no expectation and I'm always
glad I did go (more satisfaction for less money).Maybe it's me (saw too much shows
around 300) or I'm getting too hold OR I have better taste.But for me it's FMPMt
I know it's not the popular choice but you have the right not to follow the trends that
commercial radio and all the rest of the music business want you to buy-listen-see
like sheeps.Well I think I will go to sleep now.

Belive me,you never can claim to have seen too many shows.You are lucky you did live to see most classic bands.You are priviledged.
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 13:45
Originally posted by The Rock The Rock wrote:

Besides,Montreal has the best selection of restaurents and the best looking women in the world!Thumbs%20Up

Well Paris isn't  bad either (Women & Food) the advantage in Montreal : the women  look  less stressed and seem to be in a better physical shape in general....which might be a little exhausting giving it a second thought...Wink

I rarely felt so much secure walking in the middle of the night in a big city as in Montreal... but then it's a big city and all big towns have their quota of crime....

...as for the festival my personal favourites are Miriodor and Sammlas Mamma Manna which I really regret not to see, I hope they play both during the second RIO festival next spring in Carmeaux!

The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 14:43
Tell you all the truth,Montreal's weak spot has got to be the never ending traffic jams.
Major roads such as highway 40(Metropolitaine) are almost always jammed 24/7.
This year St-Laurent blvd is under major construction so it's always jammed too.

Other than that all other quibs such as crime rates,taxes,bridges collapsing,parking meters ect...are common in most large cities.
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 22:56
At the Prog.Fest," I 'll be There, I'll Be There, I will be there!"

On Saturday and Sunday. On friday, I could not resist; I will be at the big O listening to Genesis.  On Saturday and Sunday, The Prog.Fest.
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 23:02
Beautiful pictures Alucard!Big%20smile

Jacques Cartier Bridge from the Old Port, near the Old clock, and La Ronde far away on the other side of the St-Lawrence River. ( I was doing quadricycle with my daughter). It was taken 2 or 3 years ago... Spending a day in the old port each summer is one of our favorite activities; Flora ( gardens), Imax, Quadricycle, pedalo, the labyrinthe, the book merchants, boat tours, etc...a lot of fun.  
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 13:09
Hey Sylv,

What about Rick.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 14:46
Rick is coming this saturday, so on sunday, you will have a report.Smile