Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 62636465>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 09:40
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

After 25 years of being a fan, I FINALLY get the opportunity to see my first Rush concert this coming Thursday. Also scored backstage passes, so it's going to be extra special. Friggin' can't wait.

E

If you are meeting the band, maybe there is an outside chance to see about a future interview for PA. I know its a long shot, but it would be excellent if you scored.

I did get to meet Alex and Geddy last night; however, they really moved you along and you didn't have a chance to say a whole lot. Pretty much just had time to greet them and shake their hand, have a photo taken, and wish them a good show. I will venture to say that Alex could be one of the nicest people anyone could ever hope to meet. Very engaging and that smile just never leaves his face. Geddy was pretty quiet and less animated than Alex. As far as hitting them up for an interview, time just didn't permit.

As for the concert...amazing!

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 04:57
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

The rush concert, regardless of whether or not you enjoy Snakes&Arrows, is AWESOME. My one suggestion if you dont care for the new stuff is to take an extended intermission. However you must not miss Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances,  Which Hunt, and  a couple others I wont name in case I'm spoiling it for someone.

Fortunately for me, I love Snakes & Arrows and am looking forward to hearing "Far Cry" tonight.

E
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:47
Great list. The guy has a huge obsession with Jeff Buckley. He raves about him all throughout Traveling Music.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:44
The rush concert, regardless of whether or not you enjoy Snakes&Arrows, is AWESOME. My one suggestion if you dont care for the new stuff is to take an extended intermission. However you must not miss Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances,  Which Hunt, and  a couple others I wont name in case I'm spoiling it for someone.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 13:50
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 10:37
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

After 25 years of being a fan, I FINALLY get the opportunity to see my first Rush concert this coming Thursday. Also scored backstage passes, so it's going to be extra special. Friggin' can't wait.

E

If you are meeting the band, maybe there is an outside chance to see about a future interview for PA. I know its a long shot, but it would be excellent if you scored.

Man, I like that idea!!! I'll see what I can do. I've never been backstage to a show before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm supposed to hear back from Mr. Syme sometime today regarding the passes; however, he said that 'it'll get done'.

E
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 09:34

E

MrPlow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 00:15
Saw Snakes & Arrows at The Hollywood Bowl... Circumstances was a great treat (although they played it 2 keys lower than the studio version) Subdivisions was AMAZING.. Natural Science was great ..
cookieacquired View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 20:40

E

holy crow that sounds amazing

i shoulda got tickets

oh well

have fun!

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 20:37

E
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 16:53
Strictly for Rush fans

Tough choice since FOADP is great but since Rush is Classic Rock and PT isn't, the vote easily goes to Rush.

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 05:00

Yes, StyLaZyn, a part of La Villa Strangiato is on a Pinkpop DVD, I have reviewed it here on Prog Archives. I remember that it was told that Alex Lifeson had an accident, some fingers were injured so he had to play with a sedative injection. A few years ago a Dutch journalist told me the reason why his fingers were hurt: it was because of a heavy night with a lady one night before the concert, let your fantasy flow Wink !

About that Pinkpop 1979 concert, during the epic Xanadu I was completely blown away when Alex and Geddy both appeared with double-neck guitars on stage (a Gibson and a Rickenbacker), MAGICAL!!

See:  http://www.rushphotoarchive.com/concert/concert.html

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 18 2007 at 05:03
SoundsofSeasons View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 02:28
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Natural Science will be a sweet treat if they play it here in Detroit, which I assume they will since they usually stick with a pretty steady playlist, although I know that they like to change out songs here and there to try and keep it fresh for them.  I was kind of disappointed that the last playlist I saw had a lot of tracks from Snakes and Arrows.  I like Snakes and Arrows, and as a fan it is always a thrill to see the new material because it may be the one and only time they play it, but unfortunately new songs seem to bring down the energy level of the concert going crowd because of unfamiliarity.  Obviously the 10-20% of the crowd that are diehard Rush fans are thrilled but the 80-90% that are Tom Sawyer fans are clueless and it kind of ruins the atmosphere.  Hopefully, this won't be the case.

Actually thats exactly what happened at the San Diego concert i was at. When they started playing lots of Snakes and Arrows, everyone sat down or went to the bathroom or for beer. It was disheartening, but i stuck with it. I had stayed up most of the night before listening to my ipod, and reading along with the slip cover, so i could sing every Snakes and Arrows song perfectly incase everyone around me stopped singing. If i didn't know the words i would have looked like a douche bag you know. Of course i perfectly memorized them so i did my Rush fanboy self proud. Big%20smile.
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 08:02
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

In 1976 I had heard the 2-live LP All The World's A Stage (the title is derived from Shakespeare, funny contrast with the hardrock sound), I was impressed by the exciting guitar work (especially during 2112) and the inventive drumming. In 1977 I read a review about A Farewell To Kings in the famous Dutch music magazine Muziekkrant Oor: twanging acoustic guitars, Spanish guitar, Moog Taurus bass pedals, synthesizers and long and alternating compostions, this couldn't go wrong and indeed, since AFTK I am a Rush-head, I saw Rush for the first time on the annual Pinkpop Festival in 1979 and since then I have seen all tours until Presto. Then I was so disappointed about their sound that I stopped buying albums but the positive reactions on Snakes & Arrows were so massive that I decided to buy it and I have to conclude: Rush is still alive and proggin' Clap

My all time favorite Rush compositions are Xanadu, YYZ, Cygnus X-1, 2112 and La Villa Strangiato and my all time favorite studio-album is (at this moment Wink ) A Farewell To KIngs Clap

Is that the famous Pinkpop Festival with the awesome video of La Villa? The one where before the show, Alex shows off his smashed finger? I saw it on YouTube.  Also, there is an awesome recording of that show, I think.

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 04:55
In 1976 I had heard the 2-live LP All The World's A Stage (the title is derived from Shakespeare, funny contrast with the hardrock sound), I was impressed by the exciting guitar work (especially during 2112) and the inventive drumming. In 1977 I read a review about A Farewell To Kings in the famous Dutch music magazine Muziekkrant Oor: twanging acoustic guitars, Spanish guitar, Moog Taurus bass pedals, synthesizers and long and alternating compostions, this couldn't go wrong and indeed, since AFTK I am a Rush-head, I saw Rush for the first time on the annual Pinkpop Festival in 1979 and since then I have seen all tours until Presto. Then I was so disappointed about their sound that I stopped buying albums but the positive reactions on Snakes & Arrows were so massive that I decided to buy it and I have to conclude: Rush is still alive and proggin' Clap

My all time favorite Rush compositions are Xanadu, YYZ, Cygnus X-1, 2112 and La Villa Strangiato and my all time favorite studio-album is (at this moment Wink ) A Farewell To KIngs Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 17 2007 at 04:58
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 02:21
Natural Science will be a sweet treat if they play it here in Detroit, which I assume they will since they usually stick with a pretty steady playlist, although I know that they like to change out songs here and there to try and keep it fresh for them.  I was kind of disappointed that the last playlist I saw had a lot of tracks from Snakes and Arrows.  I like Snakes and Arrows, and as a fan it is always a thrill to see the new material because it may be the one and only time they play it, but unfortunately new songs seem to bring down the energy level of the concert going crowd because of unfamiliarity.  Obviously the 10-20% of the crowd that are diehard Rush fans are thrilled but the 80-90% that are Tom Sawyer fans are clueless and it kind of ruins the atmosphere.  Hopefully, this won't be the case.
SoundsofSeasons View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 01:03
I was very happy to hear Natural Science at the concert in San Diego, my favorite song. However i was upset at the fact that i seemed to be the only person in a 20 yard radius standing up, singing, and air drumming to every song. Lots of the guys were just there cause it was a concert, and not true Rush fans. It kinda killed the mood for me for a bit, but then i realized i didn't care and I sang out even louder, it got some people near me going too! Of course, at least everyone woke up when they started playing Tom Sawyer. It was like " YAAA!!! TOM SAWYER!!!! (Everyone throws up the horns, and one guy throws his beer at the people in front of him). Uggggh! Don't these fools know any of their other songs?! Real quick though, the funniest thing of all, was the guy in front of me air drumming the songs perfectly just like me. Unfortunately, half way through the concert he was so drunk he was literally half a second off from Neil's drumming. rofl. I WIN!!!!
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 23:30

12 days and counting down for me.  Rush is playing Detroit on August 28th.  The first tour I saw was also the Presto tour with the giant inflatable Rabbits (and on one of the two nights the possibly inflated Playboy bunnies).  I have probably seen them 6 or 7 times since then, but I am not sure if that is every tour or not.  I definitely try to see them every time they come around.  I am trying to remember who the opening bands were.  It seems to me that they were by themselves most of the time, except for 1 tour with Primus and 1 tour with Eric Johnson.  It would have been cool to see them with Marillion, but I have only been listening to them for the last 2 or 3 years, so I probably wouldn't have known anything about them.

I am a fanboy, so I like everything that Rush has done.  I find something good to great in almost every song that they have done.  I think that my favorite album from them is probably Grace Under Pressure but it is probably a mood thing.  My strange look provoking comment is that Tom Sawyer and Free Will are my all time favorite songs, but Vital Signs is my favorite Rush song.  (Huh??!??) Confused

Edited by rushfan4 - August 16 2007 at 23:31
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 22:41
My first Rush show was this year when they started their tour in Atlanta. Killer setlist, and the pre-show tunes (Rich listed them) were terrific. I just wish I'd been alive to see more Rush shows
SnakePlisken View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 22:07
Why bother?

Just go to rushisaband.com which is the best Rush site to which you can possibly make a relevant Rush post.

Edited by SnakePlisken - August 16 2007 at 22:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 62636465>