Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 65>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush Fan Central
    Posted: August 16 2007 at 13:33
OK, admins, I don't know your take on this thread, but thought I'd give it a go. It is what it says it is. A thread for Rush fans. It would be a nice idea for a sub-forum perhaps to have threads devoted to bands, similar to the appreciation threads we see.

And with that, I'd like to relay some info pertaining to the House Music played during the current Rush tour, if any of you didn't catch it. This list was chosen by The Professor. Quite a few Prog tunes, eh?

Tommy Overture - The Who
Mojo Pin - Jeff Buckley
Trains - Porcupine Tree
Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson
Fear of a Blank Planet - Porcupine Tree
Welcome to the Machine - Pink Floyd
Eria Tarka - The Mars Volta
Roundabout - Yes
Looking for a Place to Happen - The Tragically Hip
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley
Baba O'Reilly - The Who
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
2112 Overture - String Ensemble
The Temples of Syrinx - String Ensemble
I Know What I Like - Genesis
The Prophet - Yes
Hallelujuah - Jeff Buckley
18 People Live in Harmony - Dredg
Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin
Bobcaygeon - The Tragically Hip
21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson
Inertiatic E. S. P. - The Mars Volta
The Sound of Muzak - Porcupine Tree
Echo - Vertical Horizon
Fifty Mission Cap - The Tragically Hip
So Real - Jeff Buckley
Time - Pink Floyd
Good Days, Bad Days - Richard Butler
No Opportunity Necessary - Yes
Anesthetize - Porcupine Tree
Say Hello 2 Heaven - Temple of the Dog
Babe I'm Gonna Leave you - Led Zeppelin
Open Car - Porcupine Tree
Evenflow - Pearl Jam
Hells Bells - AC/DC
Crosstown Traffic - Jimi Hendrix
Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
How Many More Times - Led Zeppelin
Us and Them - Pink Floyd
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 13:59
I noticed that as well - a lot of great music played before the concert and during the break.  Nice to know Neal made the picks.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 14:27
I like Neil's taste. 
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 14:30
Let's let the thread run here meanwhile, and see if it is a Prog music discussion.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 17:41
That's a hell of a list... Can't wait to see them again in October!Clap
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 17:45

Next month a very good friend will give me his scan so I can posts my Rush photos from the late Seventies and early Eighties here in this Rush fan thread, I think Tony R30 will sell his wife to get these pictures Wink

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 16 2007 at 17:45
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 17:46
Rabid Rush fan here.  Seen every tour ever since Presto and saw them twice during the Vapor Trails tour (Montreal, Toronto).

The best opening act I've seen for Rush was Voivod (Presto, Nothingface).  My first Rush concert and I was also a Voivod fan. 

So why not use this space to mention what albums are our favorites and least favorites ?  For me, Test for Echo is my least favorite ; even though it had a few good songs (Title track, Driven, Time and Motion and Half the World to a certain extent), I think it was their least inspired album, followed closely by Roll the Bones.

I will think about which is my favorite, I think it will be easier if I do it by period... and even then...

First period : Caress of Steel or 2112
Second Period : Confused they are all great (AFTK, Hemispheres, PW, MP... I think MP is that period's crowning achievement
Third Period : Power Windows (followed by Grace Under Pressure)
Fourth Period : Counterparts (followed closely by Presto)
Fifth Period : Snakes and Arrows (Vapor Trails was an amazing album despite the horrible production values).

What say you ?
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 17:48

Melomaniac, I have seen almost every Rush tour until Presto Wink Every gig was great but during the latest tour in 2006 I missed my ear plugs Dead

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 17:50
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Melomaniac, I have seen almost every Rush tour until Presto Wink Every gig was great but during the latest tour in 2006 I missed my ear plugs Dead

That means you probably saw the Rush/Marillion tour ?
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 17:54
No Melomaniac but when was that because after Presto I left Rush and after Clutching At Straws I left Marillion LOL ?!
willy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 18:30
i remember hearing Genesis, KC, Zeppelin, Hendrix, and a few others from the list.   However its kind of a shame i didnt get to hear the string ensemble version of 2112
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 19:17
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

That means you probably saw the Rush/Marillion tour ?

Ahem...

I saw Fish-era Marillion open for Rush in Rochester! Wink

It was a most excellent night start to finish. I believe it was the PoW tour.

SnakePlisken View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 22:07
Why bother?

Just go to rushisaband.com which is the best Rush site to which you can possibly make a relevant Rush post.

Edited by SnakePlisken - August 16 2007 at 22:08
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 22:41
My first Rush show was this year when they started their tour in Atlanta. Killer setlist, and the pre-show tunes (Rich listed them) were terrific. I just wish I'd been alive to see more Rush shows
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 23:30

12 days and counting down for me.  Rush is playing Detroit on August 28th.  The first tour I saw was also the Presto tour with the giant inflatable Rabbits (and on one of the two nights the possibly inflated Playboy bunnies).  I have probably seen them 6 or 7 times since then, but I am not sure if that is every tour or not.  I definitely try to see them every time they come around.  I am trying to remember who the opening bands were.  It seems to me that they were by themselves most of the time, except for 1 tour with Primus and 1 tour with Eric Johnson.  It would have been cool to see them with Marillion, but I have only been listening to them for the last 2 or 3 years, so I probably wouldn't have known anything about them.

I am a fanboy, so I like everything that Rush has done.  I find something good to great in almost every song that they have done.  I think that my favorite album from them is probably Grace Under Pressure but it is probably a mood thing.  My strange look provoking comment is that Tom Sawyer and Free Will are my all time favorite songs, but Vital Signs is my favorite Rush song.  (Huh??!??) Confused

Edited by rushfan4 - August 16 2007 at 23:31
SoundsofSeasons View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 01:03
I was very happy to hear Natural Science at the concert in San Diego, my favorite song. However i was upset at the fact that i seemed to be the only person in a 20 yard radius standing up, singing, and air drumming to every song. Lots of the guys were just there cause it was a concert, and not true Rush fans. It kinda killed the mood for me for a bit, but then i realized i didn't care and I sang out even louder, it got some people near me going too! Of course, at least everyone woke up when they started playing Tom Sawyer. It was like " YAAA!!! TOM SAWYER!!!! (Everyone throws up the horns, and one guy throws his beer at the people in front of him). Uggggh! Don't these fools know any of their other songs?! Real quick though, the funniest thing of all, was the guy in front of me air drumming the songs perfectly just like me. Unfortunately, half way through the concert he was so drunk he was literally half a second off from Neil's drumming. rofl. I WIN!!!!
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 02:21
Natural Science will be a sweet treat if they play it here in Detroit, which I assume they will since they usually stick with a pretty steady playlist, although I know that they like to change out songs here and there to try and keep it fresh for them.  I was kind of disappointed that the last playlist I saw had a lot of tracks from Snakes and Arrows.  I like Snakes and Arrows, and as a fan it is always a thrill to see the new material because it may be the one and only time they play it, but unfortunately new songs seem to bring down the energy level of the concert going crowd because of unfamiliarity.  Obviously the 10-20% of the crowd that are diehard Rush fans are thrilled but the 80-90% that are Tom Sawyer fans are clueless and it kind of ruins the atmosphere.  Hopefully, this won't be the case.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 04:55
In 1976 I had heard the 2-live LP All The World's A Stage (the title is derived from Shakespeare, funny contrast with the hardrock sound), I was impressed by the exciting guitar work (especially during 2112) and the inventive drumming. In 1977 I read a review about A Farewell To Kings in the famous Dutch music magazine Muziekkrant Oor: twanging acoustic guitars, Spanish guitar, Moog Taurus bass pedals, synthesizers and long and alternating compostions, this couldn't go wrong and indeed, since AFTK I am a Rush-head, I saw Rush for the first time on the annual Pinkpop Festival in 1979 and since then I have seen all tours until Presto. Then I was so disappointed about their sound that I stopped buying albums but the positive reactions on Snakes & Arrows were so massive that I decided to buy it and I have to conclude: Rush is still alive and proggin' Clap

My all time favorite Rush compositions are Xanadu, YYZ, Cygnus X-1, 2112 and La Villa Strangiato and my all time favorite studio-album is (at this moment Wink ) A Farewell To KIngs Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 17 2007 at 04:58
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 08:02

In 1976 I had heard the 2-live LP All The World's A Stage (the title is derived from Shakespeare, funny contrast with the hardrock sound), I was impressed by the exciting guitar work (especially during 2112) and the inventive drumming. In 1977 I read a review about A Farewell To Kings in the famous Dutch music magazine Muziekkrant Oor: twanging acoustic guitars, Spanish guitar, Moog Taurus bass pedals, synthesizers and long and alternating compostions, this couldn't go wrong and indeed, since AFTK I am a Rush-head, I saw Rush for the first time on the annual Pinkpop Festival in 1979 and since then I have seen all tours until Presto. Then I was so disappointed about their sound that I stopped buying albums but the positive reactions on Snakes & Arrows were so massive that I decided to buy it and I have to conclude: Rush is still alive and proggin' Clap

My all time favorite Rush compositions are Xanadu, YYZ, Cygnus X-1, 2112 and La Villa Strangiato and my all time favorite studio-album is (at this moment Wink ) A Farewell To KIngs Clap

Is that the famous Pinkpop Festival with the awesome video of La Villa? The one where before the show, Alex shows off his smashed finger? I saw it on YouTube.  Also, there is an awesome recording of that show, I think.

SoundsofSeasons View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 02:28
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Natural Science will be a sweet treat if they play it here in Detroit, which I assume they will since they usually stick with a pretty steady playlist, although I know that they like to change out songs here and there to try and keep it fresh for them.  I was kind of disappointed that the last playlist I saw had a lot of tracks from Snakes and Arrows.  I like Snakes and Arrows, and as a fan it is always a thrill to see the new material because it may be the one and only time they play it, but unfortunately new songs seem to bring down the energy level of the concert going crowd because of unfamiliarity.  Obviously the 10-20% of the crowd that are diehard Rush fans are thrilled but the 80-90% that are Tom Sawyer fans are clueless and it kind of ruins the atmosphere.  Hopefully, this won't be the case.

Actually thats exactly what happened at the San Diego concert i was at. When they started playing lots of Snakes and Arrows, everyone sat down or went to the bathroom or for beer. It was disheartening, but i stuck with it. I had stayed up most of the night before listening to my ipod, and reading along with the slip cover, so i could sing every Snakes and Arrows song perfectly incase everyone around me stopped singing. If i didn't know the words i would have looked like a douche bag you know. Of course i perfectly memorized them so i did my Rush fanboy self proud. Big%20smile.
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 65>