Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 65>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 12:22
Mission from Hold Your Fire. One of only two good songs on the album, and rarely played. They played it when I saw them in Atlanta and I nearly cried with joy.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 12:23
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

So I take it you guys have the same set of favorites ?
Clap

Ok, here is something : which more obscure (meaning they never or almost never played it live and does not figure on any compilation) Rush song is your favorite ?

Mine, for the moment (as is always the case with Rush, except this one has been among my favorites for such a long time), would be Losing It from Signals.  Such a poignant and truly different song from Rush.  Ben Mink's violin is spine-chilling.  I would be so happy to see them play this one live, with Mink doing his thing on stage, it would truly be a magical moment !

Damn it!  You did it again. Yes. Losing It is amazing! I had thought they once did it while touring with FM but i couldn't find record of it. Played live that song would bring the house down.

Second choice? Right now, but way too soon, Faithless. I like the way Neil states opinion without being demeaning.

Third choice...don't laugh, Before and After. The bluesiness of the song would fit perfectly with the current tour after The Way The Wind Blows.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 12:23
Love old Rush !!!  ... modern Rush bore me silly I`m afraid .. cut paste edit ..  lets make an album over the internet guys ..  send me a pic of the expression on your face when I play my new drum fill  ... its pathetic just like plastic

Edited by Yorkie X - August 24 2007 at 12:25
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 12:31
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

Love old Rush !!!  ... modern Rush bore me silly I`m afraid .. cut paste edit ..  lets make an album over the internet guys ..  send me a pic of the expression on your face when I play my new drum fill  ... its pathetic just like plastic

Confused

I don't mean to burst your bubble Yorkie, but it seems you have to read "Contents Under Pressure : 30 Years of Rush".  Author Martin Popoff interviews the band and collects their thoughts on an "album by album basis".  This way you may learn more about how they do their albums.Big%20smile
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 12:34
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

So I take it you guys have the same set of favorites ?
Clap

Ok, here is something : which more obscure (meaning they never or almost never played it live and does not figure on any compilation) Rush song is your favorite ?

Mine, for the moment (as is always the case with Rush, except this one has been among my favorites for such a long time), would be Losing It from Signals.  Such a poignant and truly different song from Rush.  Ben Mink's violin is spine-chilling.  I would be so happy to see them play this one live, with Mink doing his thing on stage, it would truly be a magical moment !

Damn it!  You did it again. Yes. Losing It is amazing! I had thought they once did it while touring with FM but i couldn't find record of it. Played live that song would bring the house down.

Second choice? Right now, but way too soon, Faithless. I like the way Neil states opinion without being demeaning.

Third choice...don't laugh, Before and After. The bluesiness of the song would fit perfectly with the current tour after The Way The Wind Blows.

Nice choices Rich (and no I'm not laughing at Before and After, I like it too !), I'll try to provide 2 more choices...

2nd choice : Vital SIgns (Moving Pictures).  Rarely included into the set, I had the pleasure of hearing live in Toronto in the Vapor Trails tour.  An unsung classic.

3rd choice : The Necromancer (Caress of Steel).  So dark, so heavy, love that one.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 12:42
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

They sent ideas but also jammed together. No cut and paste. It was a mode for ideas only. BTW...MalNar was a result of Ged jamming by himself when the producer suggested he make a song of the idea. That was a total impromptu creation. There is a YouTube interview about it but I don't have the link.

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 18:57
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

After 25 years of being a fan, I FINALLY get the opportunity to see my first Rush concert this coming Thursday. Also scored backstage passes, so it's going to be extra special. Friggin' can't wait.

E

If you are meeting the band, maybe there is an outside chance to see about a future interview for PA. I know its a long shot, but it would be excellent if you scored.

I did get to meet Alex and Geddy last night; however, they really moved you along and you didn't have a chance to say a whole lot. Pretty much just had time to greet them and shake their hand, have a photo taken, and wish them a good show. I will venture to say that Alex could be one of the nicest people anyone could ever hope to meet. Very engaging and that smile just never leaves his face. Geddy was pretty quiet and less animated than Alex. As far as hitting them up for an interview, time just didn't permit.

As for the concert...amazing!

E

Awesome story E, what a way to enjoy your first Rush concert!  Clap

Thanks, Patrick. It was a hell of a concert.

E
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 19:08
I'm seeing Rush Sept. 21st.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 00:02
They will be taking the stage here in Michigan in 19 hours and 35 minutes.  I am currently watching the Exit...Stage Left Video from the Replay X 3 set.  I am getting stoked (do people still get stoked? he wonders).  I have lost track at the number of times that I have seen Rush now.  This is probably a historical 10th time or something but at any rate I am getting geeked (that is probably a more appropriate term for a prog fan, he thought to himself).  Nothing like some "Trees" before traveling to "Xanadu".   
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 11:48
8 hours until showtime and I am rocking out to the R30 bonus CDs.  Oh yeah, it is going to be a great show tonight.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 11:53
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

8 hours until showtime and I am rocking out to the R30 bonus CDs.  Oh yeah, it is going to be a great show tonight.

Hope you have a blast !

I'll be seeing them on Saturday September 15th here in Montreal, right after Genesis (September 14th).  What a week-end I'll be having ! Big%20smile
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 12:00

"Grand Designs" from Power Windows.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 12:12

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Hope you have a blast !

I'll be seeing them on Saturday September 15th here in Montreal, right after Genesis (September 14th).  What a week-end I'll be having ! Big%20smile

That will be a great weekend!!!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 12:25

"Grand Designs" from Power Windows.
Clap
LOVE that song !
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 14:04
I use to be like so many of you, only liking the "old Rush" ( the 70's) That was true until I fell in love with Hold Your Fire, in my opinion there is not a bad song on this album. After that, I made myself listen to all their "newer" stuff and now, I actually prefer it over their older music. My favorite albums are Power Windows(territories/Manhattan project), Hold Your Fire(prime mover/high water), Test for Echo(totem/time and motion), and Grace Under Pressure(enemy within/body electric). I guess I just love anything those three brilliant b*****ds create.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 14:11
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

I use to be like so many of you, only liking the "old Rush" ( the 70's) That was true until I fell in love with Hold Your Fire, in my opinion there is not a bad song on this album. After that, I made myself listen to all their "newer" stuff and now, I actually prefer it over their older music. My favorite albums are Power Windows(territories/Manhattan project), Hold Your Fire(prime mover/high water), Test for Echo(totem/time and motion), and Grace Under Pressure(enemy within/body electric). I guess I just love anything those three brilliant b*****ds create.

You are in good company! Wink
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 14:13

I use to be like so many of you, only liking the "old Rush" ( the 70's) That was true until I fell in love with Hold Your Fire, in my opinion there is not a bad song on this album.

That album usually gets a lot of flak, but there are some really outstanding songs on there, particularly once you get past the two "hits", Force Ten and Time Stand Still, which are in my opinion good but not great.  Open Secrets, Mission, Turn the Page...I've always thought these were fantastic songs.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 14:25

I use to be like so many of you, only liking the "old Rush" ( the 70's) That was true until I fell in love with Hold Your Fire, in my opinion there is not a bad song on this album.

That album usually gets a lot of flak, but there are some really outstanding songs on there, particularly once you get past the two "hits", Force Ten and Time Stand Still, which are in my opinion good but not great.  Open Secrets, Mission, Turn the Page...I've always thought these were fantastic songs.
No love for Lock & Key ?

It was the first Rush song I heard when the video came out and made me want to investigate.
About Hold Your Fire, I myself like it but I think it was a bit too long.  Let's keep in mind it was their first album made for the CD format, and they had to put out 2 more songs than they usually did (the previous three albums all had 8 songs, HYF had ten).  I think the album would have been better received without Tai Shan and High Water.  The rest is almost as good as Power Windows.  In fact, apart from the two songs I mentioned, I love every song on this album.  And even if Force Ten was a single, it's the song that rocked the most on HYF.
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 14:42
  "I think the album would have been better received without Tai Shan and High Water."

I love both these songs, however I do agree with you that it was too long, but I would drop the mainstream songs Time Stand Still and Force Ten.

Also I failed to acknowledge the brilliance of Presto. Anagram, Scars, War Paint, Superconductor, Chain Lighting, and Show Don't Tell (Geddy's Bass work on this song is amazing!) are all fabulous songs, if not lyrically then musically and vice versa.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 14:46

"I think the album would have been better received without Tai Shan and High Water."

I love both these songs, however I do agree with you that it was too long, but I would drop the mainstream songs Time Stand Still and Force Ten.

Also I failed to acknowledge the brilliance of Presto. Anagram, Scars, War Paint, Superconductor, Chain Lighting, and Show Don't Tell (Geddy's Bass work on this song is amazing!) are all fabulous songs, if not lyrically then musically and vice versa.

Yes, although my favorite on Presto is "The Pass".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 65>