Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 65>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 21:37
Did anybody watch How I Met Your Mother tonight?  A certain Geddy Lee made a few cameo appearances.  It was pretty hilarious. 
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 21:41
Indeed!  Those wacky Canadians!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 23:51
F****** Canadians with their horrible music LOL

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - February 04 2013 at 23:51
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 09:44
they seem to be buddies with jason seigal.    i'd like to see a rush reality show.  alex's sense of humor is priceless!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 22:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 23:16
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 23:18
^ haha I forgot about that one
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 09:54

Rush is to be inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame tomorrow night.  An article in the Detroit Free Press about it.  http://www.freep.com/article/20130417/ENT/304170089/Rush-inducted-into-Rock-and-Roll-Hall-of-Fame

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 09:46
a tad off topic here, but here in my homeland of Toronto, Canada you can now buy RUSH postage stamps to deliver and send mail!!! Now that's Canadian power!! I tell ya, RUSH make me pround being Canadian. That, and the free health care. Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 09:55
Oooh that is cool.  Next time I visit Toronto I will have to be sure to hit the post office for a souvenir. LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 11:35
Rush stamps...cool!!

Wonder if the postal service will "rush" those letters faster to their destinations?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 14:13
A CNN article about Rush.  http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/18/showbiz/geek-out-rush/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

It's not cool to like RUSH. That's OK

By Ann Hoevel, CNN
updated 10:37 AM EDT, Thu April 18, 2013
< ="text/"> .cnn_html_slideshow_metadata > .cnn_html_media_utility::before{color:red;content:'>>';font-size:9px;line-height:12px;padding-right:1px} .cnnstrylccimg640{margin:0 27px 14px 0} .captionText{filter:alpha(opacity=100);opacity:1} .cnn_html_slideshow_media_caption a,.cnn_html_slideshow_media_caption a:visited,.cnn_html_slideshow_media_caption a:link,.captionText a,.captionText a:visited,.captiontext a:link{color:#004276;outline:medium none} .cnnVerticalGalleryPhoto{margin:0 auto;padding-right:68px;width:270px}
This is one fans have been waiting for. This Canadian group enjoyed popularity in the 1970s with songs like Tom Sawyer and The Spirit Of Radio and have long been favored to make it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.This is one fans have been waiting for. This Canadian group enjoyed popularity in the 1970s with songs like "Tom Sawyer" and "The Spirit Of Radio" and have long been favored to make it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
<<
<
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • RUSH fans are used to being dismissed for their love of the band
  • There are many different kinds of RUSH fans
  • RUSH fans have mixed emotions about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Editor's note: Ann Hoevel is the producer of CNN.com's nerd culture beat Geek Out! and has been a fan of RUSH since 1990. She enjoys "singing" along to "YYZ."

(CNN) -- This is it: the night that RUSH fans have waited for since 1999, when the group was first eligible to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Thursday night, the Canadian trio -- a staple of classic rock radio stations -- will jam onstage with their fellow class of inductees.

We should feel vindicated, right?

For the last 13 years, fans of the band have been outraged as the Hall of Fame overlooked their heroes. From the moment RUSH was eligible for consideration, fans signed petitions and wondered what kind of critics could be keeping their heroes from the limelight.

Even now, fans still feel slighted.

You see, these are fans who are used to explaining -- and being summarily dismissed for -- their love of the band, said "RUSH: Beyond the lighted stage" documentarians Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen.

RUSH has been a band almost 40 years. Their music has encompassed genres ranging from heavy metal to new age. They even penned a rap once (and caught a lot of flak for it from fans, too.)

Despite selling millions of records and achieving top-of-their-field musicianship, they've never really had the respect of music critics.

By extension, neither have their fans.

"I remember reading once (RUSH drummer and lyricist) Neil Peart got voted one of the worst lyricists of all time," Dunn said.

"And I can't imagine the rage that that would inspire in a lot of fans," he said. Peart's lyrics are a major reason fans cite interest in the band's music, he said.

They identify and connect with Peart's words so personally, "I absolutely think it's 'By attacking RUSH, you're attacking us,' " Dunn said. "And it's war."

Likewise, Geddy Lee's vocals are an unavoidable hurdle to RUSH appreciation, which fans are well aware of. His singing voice is highly pitched, in the tradition of singers like Robert Plant or Roger Daltry, but in an extreme.

"I think one critic said it sounded like a hamster in a blender," McFadyen said. When they were working on the documentary and discussed with people in the industry what they were doing, people would tell him, "Oh, I detest RUSH. They suck. I cannot stand Geddy's voice."

He's heard that before. He knows Geddy Lee's singing has a polarizing effect on people. But if you love it, you love it for life, he said, and you don't mind that it's complex, nerdy music.

At their core, RUSH is a trio of outsiders. They grew up in suburban Canada, where guitarist Alex Lifeson and bassist and singer Geddy Lee were both first-generation Canadians from immigrant families, doing the best they could to avoid being the target of bullies. They didn't graduate from high school. And although they forged a career as one of the best-selling rock bands in history, the only thing rock 'n' roll about them is their music -- no drug overdoses, no sex scandals, no trashing of hotel rooms. Ever.

Musicologist, author and RUSH researcher Christopher McDonald said fans deeply identify with the band because of that nonconformity.

While the first wave of RUSH fans in the 1970s were seen as a homogenous audience of jean-jacket-wearing, frowning boys, it soon became obvious that the fan base was far more diverse.

RUSH was dismissed by critics for their complicated songs and epically tackling fantasy and sci-fi topics in their lyrics. According to McDonald, those same qualities won them the attention of a nontraditional fan base, people who loved Dungeons & Dragons.

"RUSH didn't always go after the pop culture cliches," McDonald said. "The songs were sometimes very long, the song topics were sometimes overwrought. They would have songs that quoted Hemingway, songs with a science fiction theme, an album that drew ideas from Carl Jung," he said.

"Who's going to be interested in something like that? It's going to be some of the people in the Chess Club."

That's why 43-year-old Web developer and proprietor of RUSH Is A Band Ed Stenger likes them. He's the first to admit you can "count the number of RUSH love songs on one hand."

Like many fans who were exposed to the music of RUSH before 1980, (including McFadyen) he was ushered into the fandom by an older brother.

Ed Stenger and his son Zach meet Alex Lifeson, left and Geddy Lee, right, in Toronto, Canada.
Ed Stenger and his son Zach meet Alex Lifeson, left and Geddy Lee, right, in Toronto, Canada.

"When '2112' came out, he was 14 and the time and I was 6," Stenger said. "RUSH was the background noise to my youth." And once his older brother went to college, it was easy to dig up old RUSH LPs and cassettes.

The science fiction-evoking titles caught his eye first. Then he noticed "2112" was a 20-minute song.

"I was like, what?!" Stenger said, "A song can't be 20 minutes long!"

So he listened, and the story of the lyrics and Geddy Lee's emotional delivery hooked him. He's been a RUSH fan ever since. The defining moment of his fandom was when RUSH played the entirety of "2112" in 1996 at Cleveland's Gund Arena.

The RUSH fandom has many social divisions. As Dunn and McFadyen showed in their documentary, some people -- especially musicians -- are fans of the ideals RUSH stands for: virtuosic musicianship, fearless exploration as artists and certainly stamina and longevity..

Most easily recognized is their level of musical ability. Billy Corgan, Trent Reznor, Kirk Hammett and Les Claypool appreciate the complexity of the music and the skill it takes to execute something like the guitar solo from "La Villa Strangiato."

"They're like musical superheroes," McFadyen said. "They do things on their instruments that mere mortals can't do."

Ask any drummer, Stenger said, and they'll tell you Neil Peart is one of the best in the world. His drum kit is a virtual fortress of percussion, dwarfing any other professional drummer's setup, McDonald said.

Peart's drum solos, which can last upwards of 10 minutes, are far from a good excuse to use the restroom during a concert. "There's people who come specifically to see his solo," Stenger said.

"He's able to make sounds and you can't even see him make them," said Dunn of Peart's legendary drumming.

Fans also appreciate the artistic integrity of the band, who has historically ignored concerns and direction from their record company -- and won autonomy.

Suburban youth especially appreciate the appeal of RUSH. McDonald discovered that the experience of the band spoke deeply to many others who dreamed of escaping their bedroom communities. Songs like "Subdivisions" and "Middletown Dreams," from the album "Power Windows" became anthems for them, he said.

But the albums themselves can also mark divisions in the fandom. When Geddy Lee introduced dominant synthesizers into the band's until-then heavy guitar sound, many fans stopped listening, Stenger said.

"There's a cutoff at (the album) "Moving Pictures," Stenger said. RUSH's next album, "Signals" put the group solidly into synth-pop territory, "and a lot of people did not like that at all." But even so, he said, the group of RUSH fans who grew up with the band's music from the 1970s is still the largest group in the fandom.

"Then you have the fans who grew up with their music from the 1990s. Their favorite albums are 'Presto,' 'Roll the Bones,' and 'Counterparts,' " he said. "I tell them my favorite album is 'Caress of Steel' and they say, 'what?' "

"Counterparts" is another one of those divisions, McDonald said. "That was the exact moment when Nirvana and Pearl Jam hit and the alternative '90s really started to go," he said. "In some ways, the world RUSH had inhabited to great success in the '80s was ending. I think 'Roll the Bones' in '91 was their last million-seller," he said.

Even specific songs in the RUSH repertoire divide the fandom. The aforementioned rap on the song "Roll the Bones" makes fans either roll their eyes or chuckle at the band's sense of humor. The song "The Trees" off the album "Hemispheres" either induces an "icky feeling," as Dunn puts it, or evokes a passionate speech about the epic qualities of the guitar-driven composition and political analysis of Peart's fable-like lyrics.

RUSH probably won't play "Roll the Bones" or "The Trees" during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, but it's a safe bet there won't be a single unlit Zippo in the group's fanbase when Peart breaks into his solo.

Edited by rushfan4 - April 18 2013 at 14:14
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 15:12
I actually like the band and have a lot of their albums especially the earlier ones. Hell I was in high school before they really made it with Moving Pictures. Those 3 guys are cultivated, well spoken, modest  gentlemen. For me Hemispheres is out of this world.  Proof :

Rush - Hemispheres CD (album) cover

HEMISPHERES

Rush

Heavy Prog

4.37 | 1302 ratings

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Vibrationbaby
5 stars Rush were one of the few bands who could write a prog-rock epic and get away with it in 1978 amidst the the onslaught of th evil forces of punk rock and disco, forging ahead as if neither even ever occurred. Applying their unique formula of superior musical prowess in combination with well read, thoughtful lyrics, Hemispheres is arguably the Canadian power trio's finest hour of their illustrious career. Thematically they began to veer away from Hawkwind-like sci-fi dabblings towards more mythical/philosophical regions. Lyricist/drummer Neil Peart also began to become more spiritual in his writing, displaying more human attributes which forshadowed future Rush projects. Not only did his compelling lyrics contain more depth, the band's musical lskills were also steadily coming to a focal point, becoming more diverse and refined than previous forays into the realms of prog-rock. This was achieved in part by the band's masterful employment of advances in recording and musical gear technology which was advancing at an exponential rate towards the end of the '70s which would usher in the digital age.

Right from the opening chords of the grandiose prelude to the main suite Cygnus X-1 Book II ( a continuation of sorts from Cygnus X-1 from the previous A Farewell To Kings album ) the listener becomes acutely aware that something collossal is about to transpire. Based loosely on Frederick Nietzsche's Book Of Tragedy, Cygnus X-1 Book II explores the complexities and differences between the right and left hemispheres of the human brain which is exemplified by the alluring cover art. Lricist Peart uses the abstract metaphor of two greek Gods, Dyonisus and Appollo, symbolizing the right and left brain hemispheres respectively, dueling for the fate of man. Various musical devices, such as insane chord and time signature changes, arpeggiated guitar runs and modal shifts suggest various moods and atmospheres which occur as the battle rages. A moderator appears in the form of Cygnus who materializes as the not-so-subliminal Cygnus X-1 main theme from A Farewell To Kings is re-visited . The mystical Cygnus rationalizes the two opposing factions and balance is achieved with the world being divided equally into two equal philosophical modus operandis and a new chapter in creation is written. Or something like that. I sometimes think that this would have made a great Star Trek episode with Captain Kirk taking the place of Cygnus. Live performances of this piece back in the seventies were simply mesmerizing.

The second side of the LP offers some respite from the intensity of side one ( although some effect of this is lost in the CD format ) and is introduced by a harder rocking reflective, soul searching autobiographical piece penned by Neil Peart. Circumstances contrasts somewhat with the rest of the work and is more representative of earlier Rush compositions heard on earlier albums such as Caress Of Steel or Fly By Night and this is perhaps why it is appropriately inserted in the middle of the album. Geddy Lee's vocals become somewhat annoying at times which shouldn't bother hard core fans of the band. Barely played in concert for a number of years , for some reason it resurfaced on the first set of the recent Snakes And Arrows tour so it must hold some special signifigance for the band. It also appears as a B side on the 1980 Spirit Of Radio single.

The album concludes with two of the band's undisputed favourites which also offer contrast. The Trees, which lyricist Peart claims is nothing more than a poetic vignette of a bunch of trees fighting like children in a comic strip he once saw, it has been most commonly metaphorically interpreted by fans as a microcosm of oppression and inequality among human beings. A very dynamic piece it features a classically inspired nylon string guitar intro with a sublime middle section building into a sharp crescendo for the grand finale. The closing blowout, La Villa Strangiato, a firebreathing 12 part instrumental monster, incorporates some of it's musical ideas from jazz composer and electronic music pioneer Raymond Scott's standard " Powerhouse " used in Warner Bros. cartoons in the 40s and 50s and was the subject of a lawsuit which went in favour of the band. The title itself takes it's name from a real castle in Italy which was once the home of an Italian aristocrat. Certainly one of the most bizarre rock instrumentals since Focus' off the wall Hocus Pocus from 1971.

A Prog-rock magus opus that appeared in the most dangerous of times when most "dinosaur" bands had gone along with the trends of the day or just faded into oblivion, Hemispheres made it into the North American top 100 charts peaking at #47. It also marked a pivotal point in ther career as Rush's music became more streamined and their lyrics increasingly more concerned with human issues. Although it suffers from minor flaws such as Geddy Lee's vocal hysterics these can be overlooked when it's moments of sheer brilliance are considered. Even at the short running time of 38 minutes much is to be gleaned from subsequent listens from this 1978 jewel from Rush. So put the cat out and play this baby LOUD!

Vibrationbaby | 5/5 |

What I don't like about the band are the fans. The FANS. I've been to see them 6 times and I am not really interrested in seeing them any more because of the FANS. I hate them..

IT'S THE DAMN FANS!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:06
Alex is a riot.......classic!!

Show will be aired on HBO on May 18th.

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 01:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Alex is a riot.......classic!!

Show will be aired on HBO on May 18th.

Alex had me LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 12:47
How on earth did he keep up with that for so long!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 19:26
^
^
^BEST, SPEECH, IN, THE, rock and roll hall of fame history. 
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 19:27
Neil Peart is the polite, verbally well-paced rationalist, who sees through poet's eyes and thinks with philosophical appreciations about things.

Geddy Lee is the prototypical gentleman with soft manners and a candid smile always ready to arise in his face, civil all the way through.

Alex Lifeson is...THE ULTIMATE BUFFOON!! 
When you're merely focused on his continouous "bla-blaing", his speech parody seems too long and overwrought, but when you pay attention to the implicit meaning of his body language and dramatic gestures, then you can see the real speech under the parody:
- hi, it's so nice to be here
- we've worked hard for ages as rock musicians
- we've toured around the world 
- we have received no support from the big industry or kind words from the most prominent music critics
-  even the RHF has consistently snubbed us despite all the credentials of our historical input to the world of rock
- so we shouted "F.U.!!" to them and continued to work as hard as we have ever done, until...
- we recieved a phone call where they told us that we were inducted in the RHF
- in ecstasy, we dressed up, shaved our beards and attended the ceremony with a written speech 
- it's oh so great to have these two guys as band mates
- thanks a lot to our families and our fans!

Pay attention to his faces and body language and you will "hear" all this... and then laugh histerically in the most hilarious moments.  

Edited by Cesar Inca - April 20 2013 at 19:36
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 19:33
Also, even though they were non-proggers, Dave and Taylor did an excellent job on the opening speech. Rush influenced countless generations of musicians including them:

Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 19:39

You can tell how moved David is: through all the joking, he is really about to cry with joy.

And let me tell you again: Alex's buffoon speech is a must, as well as a clever example of how you can mingle the idea that it is great to be properly acknowledged and the notion that this doesn't have to be taken too seriously, plus a big f.u. to the music industry's elite.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 65>