Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 65>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 01:49
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Nice. I love how the spirit of Rush lives in your car. Actually, just recently a very good friend of mine had a birthday and I gave him a copy of MOVING PICTURES, so he could have a nice road trips in his car. I told him that the real gems on the moving pictures album is The Camera Eye, Vital Signs and Witch Hunt. He has never heard those songs before! Gotta spread the prog love. :)

Witch Hunt is one of my fave Rush songs...especially lyrically...
"They say there is strangeness to danger us in our theater and bookstore shelves.
Those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves."
Thanks Neil Thumbs Up

'features distorted in the flickering light, faces are grim and Grotesque!'

Let's thank Neil together.
Moving Pictures in general is one of his best albums lyrically.  Limelight is a great piece of poetry.

Right you are Sargent Hurricanes! You are living on the lighted stage of prog my friend. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 10:53

Nice. I love how the spirit of Rush lives in your car. Actually, just recently a very good friend of mine had a birthday and I gave him a copy of MOVING PICTURES, so he could have a nice road trips in his car. I told him that the real gems on the moving pictures album is The Camera Eye, Vital Signs and Witch Hunt. He has never heard those songs before! Gotta spread the prog love. :)

"They say there is strangeness to danger us in our theater and bookstore shelves.

Thanks Neil Thumbs Up

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand!"

I know someone here has that as there signature.
CKnoxW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 11:55

Yup. Open secrets and Tai Shan are so underrated. Beautiful songs. :)

Tai Shan... can't get behind it. Your opinion is incorrect!

Big smile
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 13:20

Thanks Neil Thumbs Up

Moving Pictures in general is one of his best albums lyrically.  Limelight is a great piece of poetry.

I remember when Moving Pictures came out I was taking my college English Lit class.  We were analyzing a poem from the great e e cummings called "into the night sky the city shuffles murdering dreams" (or something) and I'll always connect that poem with Neil's lyrics to The Camera Eye.  
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 18:39

Thanks Neil Thumbs Up

I remember when Moving Pictures came out I was taking my college English Lit class.  We were analyzing a poem from the great e e cummings called "into the night sky the city shuffles murdering dreams" (or something) and I'll always connect that poem with Neil's lyrics to The Camera Eye.  

'THE FOCUS IS SHARP IN THE CITY!!' you know what else is sharp, other than your mind of course, is Neil's drumming. ;)

Camera Eye talks about the varsity streets of Westminster a bit. I remember that and poses a theme where reality is a possible outcome when peering through the Camera Eye. Getting a true sense of the landscape if you will. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 18:42
Originally posted by CKnoxW CKnoxW wrote:

Yup. Open secrets and Tai Shan are so underrated. Beautiful songs. :)
Tai Shan... can't get behind it. Your opinion is incorrect!Big smile

Well an opinion can't be incorrect because it's just an opinion.
But, a lot of people have the opinion that Tai Shan doesn't really fit onto the album as a whole, so I gather where you are coming from. ;)
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 19:03
Permanent Waves is my favorite by Rush and worship the album's influence on me. Lyrically i find it to be their best. 

Entre Nous speaks wonders. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 22:21
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Permanent Waves is my favorite by Rush and worship the album's influence on me. Lyrically i find it to be their best. 

Amen brother....
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 23:01
Speaking of lyrics, I was just reading through the CA lyrics for the first time in a while and all I can think is - oh my gosh, what has happened to Neil Peart?  You would think that, with forty years of experience writing lyrics, he would be able to come up with something that didn't rhyme "love with above" or use the same silly metaphors that seventh-grade aspiring writers use in poetry class.  I mean, I don't really expect lyrics to be great poetry but come on, you can at least try to come up with something original and not as clunky and clumsy as the lyrics to CA.  Gone are the insightful musings on human nature, replaced with a dumb rehashing of some topics that he exhausted a long time ago and banal philosophy (philosophy was never a strong suit of Peart's) that is just a lame rehashing of previously existing philosophy that wasn't very good in the first place.  He seems incapable of writing any words that have more than two syllables, too. 

Come on, I miss the Neil who gave us insightful material like Time Stand Still, Limelight, Distant Early Warning, Open Secrets, Red Sector A, Entre Nous, Cold Fire, Animate, Bravado, Secret Touch, Earthshine...all those great lyrics that really said something about what it means to be human and to be in relationship with other people, besides being good pieces of poetry from a writing standpoint.  It really seems like he's trying too hard.  The same thing happened on some of the songs on S&A. Good News First?  Bravest Face?  Please.  "Faithless" is so hypocritical it's almost funny.  I love Rush but I wish Neil would leave his current lyrical style behind.  It really seems like he's at his best when he explores psychology, the nature of relationships, and human response to hardship instead of trying to make philosophical statements that come across as sophomoric and annoying. 

Sorry for the negative rant, guys, just gotta let off some steam...
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 23:39
^ No worries!! Its a good rant, I don't see the same in all you rant about. As many homeruns as he has hit in his career, a few K's are ok and he still has a damn good batting AVG...in my book.

You forgot I Think I'm Going Bald.....LOL (utter brilliance)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 23:48
I agree, I just his performance wouldn't keep declining.  We need a Miguel Cabrera Neil, not an Albert Pujols Neil Wink

I actually Iike the ITIGB lyrics.   I feel Iike they're supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and it works like that.  I see Caress of Steel as Rush's "coming-of-age" album and ITIGB is a humorous play on that theme.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 00:06

I agree, I just his performance wouldn't keep declining.  We need a Miguel Cabrera Neil, not an Albert Pujols Neil Wink

I actually Iike the ITIGB lyrics.   I feel Iike they're supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and it works like that.  I see Caress of Steel as Rush's "coming-of-age" album and ITIGB is a humorous play on that theme.

Well when you think about CA, it is the story of a young man looking for that something else...so he goes looking only to find that as he gets older what he needs to tend to is his Garden, which I equate to his wife and children....At the end of the day that is the only thing we need to take care of or pay attention to...Everything else is irrelevant.

I think as a whole it is a pretty good story and message.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 00:21
Except that's not what he's trying to say (there's no indication the protagonist has a family), I think he's pretty obviously trying to make a philosophical statement, and it really, really doesn't work.

Good artists are able to make a point with their art without resorting to an obvious "and here is the message you need to take from this" part at the end.  When Neil did this in "Hemispheres", at least it was bearable because the philosophy made sense.  I wish he would write more lyrics like "The Larger Bowl," ask profound questions but don't try to give answers, because he really doesn't have any.  I mean, think about S&A, where the album bashes religion the whole time and then closes with "We Hold On," a little tidbit of watered-down existentialism that takes everything that's worst about existentialism and posits it as an alternative to the strawman worldview he's just taken out.  Same thing happens in CA.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 00:48

Speaking of lyrics, I was just reading through the CA lyrics for the first time in a while and all I can think is - oh my gosh, what has happened to Neil Peart?  You would think that, with forty years of experience writing lyrics, he would be able to come up with something that didn't rhyme "love with above" or use the same silly metaphors that seventh-grade aspiring writers use in poetry class.  I mean, I don't really expect lyrics to be great poetry but come on, you can at least try to come up with something original and not as clunky and clumsy as the lyrics to CA.  Gone are the insightful musings on human nature, replaced with a dumb rehashing of some topics that he exhausted a long time ago and banal philosophy (philosophy was never a strong suit of Peart's) that is just a lame rehashing of previously existing philosophy that wasn't very good in the first place.  He seems incapable of writing any words that have more than two syllables, too. 

Come on, I miss the Neil who gave us insightful material like Time Stand Still, Limelight, Distant Early Warning, Open Secrets, Red Sector A, Entre Nous, Cold Fire, Animate, Bravado, Secret Touch, Earthshine...all those great lyrics that really said something about what it means to be human and to be in relationship with other people, besides being good pieces of poetry from a writing standpoint.  It really seems like he's trying too hard.  The same thing happened on some of the songs on S&A. Good News First?  Bravest Face?  Please.  "Faithless" is so hypocritical it's almost funny.  I love Rush but I wish Neil would leave his current lyrical style behind.  It really seems like he's at his best when he explores psychology, the nature of relationships, and human response to hardship instead of trying to make philosophical statements that come across as sophomoric and annoying. 

Sorry for the negative rant, guys, just gotta let off some steam...

I've been saying since it's release that CA is Peart's lowest point lyrically and musically. 
Ermm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 00:53
Yes, I know.  I might be late to the party, but at least I'm agreeing with you! Smile

Although I can't speak about the musical part, I'm very ignorant about drums, but I love the English language and the CA lyrics don't do it justice.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 00:57
The drums are as challenging to play and think up as the lyrics are to write. 

Edited by Horizons - July 29 2013 at 00:57
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 01:01

Except that's not what he's trying to say (there's no indication the protagonist has a family), I think he's pretty obviously trying to make a philosophical statement, and it really, really doesn't work.

Good artists are able to make a point with their art without resorting to an obvious "and here is the message you need to take from this" part at the end.  When Neil did this in "Hemispheres", at least it was bearable because the philosophy made sense.  I wish he would write more lyrics like "The Larger Bowl," ask profound questions but don't try to give answers, because he really doesn't have any.  I mean, think about S&A, where the album bashes religion the whole time and then closes with "We Hold On," a little tidbit of watered-down existentialism that takes everything that's worst about existentialism and posits it as an alternative to the strawman worldview he's just taken out.  Same thing happens in CA.

The Larger Bowl is pretty good....although I do take that message away, in general, from the album CA. BU2B, Wish Them Well and The Garden for me flow together with that message at the end.
I always go back to Beyond/Lighted Stage documentary where Geddy states their songs are individual stories, which may go against the CA and other concept albums, but I apply that to S&A and I see it. You could also be an aetheist and 'hold on' to your thoughts, but I can see the title is more accepted from a strong religious view of We Hold On to our beliefs in a religious manner, versus a non-religious one.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 09:12

I have read the book, and while the Garden at the end is a real living garden, it is also a metaphor for the garden of love that one must tend to (and the song does speak of this). 

I also love the song Wish Them Well quite a bit, and it might be the best song on the album lyrically. Don't harass the people who don't see eye-to-eye with you, just leave them be and wish them well. Wonderful approach to life I think.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 00:16

You and Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins would see eye to eye on that one.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 00:17

You and Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins would see eye to eye on that one.

becuz bestttt

tt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 65>