Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 65>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 21:07
I agree......out of all my live albums, especially VHS, DVDs..the Rush ones are the best and most enjoyable.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 18:39
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I agree......out of all my live albums, especially VHS, DVDs..the Rush ones are the best and most enjoyable.

I agree with you as well. I have RUSH REPLAY X3 boxset and I just love it. Really amazing. All in 5.1 too of course! :)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 09:39
Alex Lifeson announces that Rush are on a 1-year hiatus.   http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/rush-are-on-hiatus-says-lifeson/
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 09:51
I think this is certainly a good thing, let the men enjoy their success and lives for a little bit. Plus it may get some new creative juices flowing. I wonder if Neil will go on another venture.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 10:05
No doubt they definitely deserve it and look forward to whatever they might release on the flipside.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 02:58
^^ Finally, they have been touring non-stop over the last few years
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 00:09
That is good!! They need to enjoy the work they have done these past few years, sitting on a beach sipping fruity drinks with umbrellas.....taking 10 naps a day, sounds like a good hiatus to me!!
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 14:52
I'm surprised Test For Echo is rated as low as it is.

I enjoy that album...and I thought it was return to form after what I considered some really sub par efforts after Moving Pictures (except for counterparts, which I also like, and so do many others based on the ratings).

I like playing Virtuality at top volume. Heavy tune.

Am I the only one who sees this song as Spirit of Radio Part II - The Internet? It even has it's own Lifeson guitar wail that is somewhat similar to the opening of SoR.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 14:57
Originally posted by Crumple Crumple wrote:

I'm surprised Test For Echo is rated as low as it is.

I enjoy that album...and I thought it was return to form after what I considered some really sub par efforts after Moving Pictures (except for counterparts, which I also like, and so do many others based on the ratings).

I like playing Virtuality at top volume. Heavy tune.

Am I the only one who sees this song as Spirit of Radio Part II - The Internet? It even has it's own Lifeson guitar wail that is somewhat similar to the opening of SoR.

T4E is patchy. That song, "Virtuality," isn't aging well.

When you mean "after Moving Pictures," are you including the holy trinity of Signals / Grace Under Pressure / Power Windows in reflection?
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 15:07
yeah I guess it is patchy. Driven, Dog Years are other favs of mine...I guess I like it better due to the events surrounding my acquisition of it. Funny how music can do that right? but I wouldn't say it's a great album at all...I just like it better than Presto/roll the Bones etc

Signals - I REALLY like Analog Kid. Subdivisions and New World Man are cool too. Pass on the rest.

GUP is one I have been meaning to get back to. I did like it a lot when it came out....have drifted from it over the years...need to get back.

I didn't like Power Windows at all when it came out. And I never looked back as after that one I gave up on new Rush (I ALWAYS have played classic Rush) until Counterparts and Test for Echo.

I suppose I should check it out?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 16:01
I am sorry, but to overlook 80's Rush or not appreciate the innovation by how Rush latched on to the age of electric sound so well, you really can't say or call yourself a true Rush fan. 80's Rush is very important Rush.
I feel this is fair to say because the 80's are a huge bulk of Rush's Music Career.
Permanent Waves to Presto. Amazing electric power!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 11:16
Latest issue of RS magazine.....for some reason I have been getting this at my home and I did not order it nor did anyone else in my family?? Anyhow, essentially the magazine has sucked for so many years from a musical standpoint, although some articles are pretty good......Oh well, not complaining for some reason I am getting it and have not paid them one penny.
Anyhow they have a section called guest Playlist or something like that....this month they feature Geddy Lee's......sorry for bad picture but hopefully you can read each entry he submitted.....Funny to see Bjork and Fleet Foxes mentioned. I like what he says about Tull and TAAB.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 11:52
Yea he mentioned FF and Bjork quite often. Huge fan of FF myself. I got me a shirt of 'em too Thumbs Up
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 12:02
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I am sorry, but to overlook 80's Rush or not appreciate the innovation by how Rush latched on to the age of electric sound so well, you really can't say or call yourself a true Rush fan. 80's Rush is very important Rush.
I feel this is fair to say because the 80's are a huge bulk of Rush's Music Career.

rush's entire career demands respect.  of course, i prefer the analog production of the 70s, but power windows is a great album.  i like most of presto as well.  not too keen on the other stuff post moving pictures, but it's all well done.  i just wish they'd write some riffs and major key melodies once more before they retire.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 12:57

Well I don't want to argue...plenty of folks have plenty of opinions.

To me the greatness of Rush is the first 8 albums.

Not that i can't find things I enjoy after that...but if Signals was their debut and their catalog was everything post that, I really don't think they would be the legends that they are.

As for being a fan...well...they come in all shapes and sizes.

I remember being 14 when Moving Pictures came out.  I heard tom Sawyer and I was like "wait a minute...what is this?  Music can sound like THIS?  what is happening here!" and thus began the love affair.  

I worked backwards from there and each album was a revelation.  Back then I couldn't just plop down $$ and download 5 albums I had to wait for birthdays or Christmas to add to my collection.  Or rent cassettes from the library!  HAHA..imagine?  (that's how I discovered Close to the Edge btw, but that's another story)

By the time I got 2112 my head nearly exploded.  My friend's older brother had a garage band and they were learning 2112 (they never got past the Overture/Temples but that's ok we had fun).  He asked for lyrics and I HAND WROTE them all out on loose leaf paper.  HAHAHAHA...ah what memories.

anyway...I may just check out PW and some others to see if my tastes have changed and I could enjoy them more.

For now, I just blew through Hemispheres and Fly By Night during morning drive time and it was...glorious!  Wink

Edited by Crumple - December 11 2013 at 12:58
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 13:02
Their 80's period is their best period. 
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 13:07
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Their 80's period is their best period. 

Well at least we can both claim Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves as being in their "best" period!  Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 14:21
Their 70's period to their ∞ period is their best.......Big smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 14:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Their 70's period to their ∞ period is their best.......Big smile
Agreed.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 21:23
Originally posted by Crumple Crumple wrote:

Well I don't want to argue...plenty of folks have plenty of opinions.
To me the greatness of Rush is the first 8 albums.
Not that i can't find things I enjoy after that...but if Signals was their debut and their catalog was everything post that, I really don't think they would be the legends that they are.
As for being a fan...well...they come in all shapes and sizes.
I remember being 14 when Moving Pictures came out.  I heard tom Sawyer and I was like "wait a minute...what is this?  Music can sound like THIS?  what is happening here!" and thus began the love affair.  
I worked backwards from there and each album was a revelation.  Back then I couldn't just plop down $$ and download 5 albums I had to wait for birthdays or Christmas to add to my collection.  Or rent cassettes from the library!  HAHA..imagine?  (that's how I discovered Close to the Edge btw, but that's another story)
By the time I got 2112 my head nearly exploded.  My friend's older brother had a garage band and they were learning 2112 (they never got past the Overture/Temples but that's ok we had fun).  He asked for lyrics and I HAND WROTE them all out on loose leaf paper.  HAHAHAHA...ah what memories.
anyway...I may just check out PW and some others to see if my tastes have changed and I could enjoy them more.
For now, I just blew through Hemispheres and Fly By Night during morning drive time and it was...glorious!  Wink

Yeah. You are right. I was just being a hard ass cause I'm so pro 80's RUSH, but you said so yourself...fans can come in all shapes and sizes and I am completely jealous that you got to experience moving pictures the year it was released at the wonderful, impressionable age of 14. Amazing.
Certainly, their early works are unbelievable and I think it all started with 2112 for me. Not a fan of their S/T album, Fly By Night and Caress The Steal. They didn't have that same majesty or technical prowess as Hemispheres and 2112.
A Farewell To Kings is when they started to get more melodic while still keeping that complex edge they had. Beautiful stuff. Anyway, I'm sorry about my insane comment. I wrote it early in the morning.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 65>