Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 65>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 14:10
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Crumple Crumple wrote:

Can the big 80s Rush fans rank the albums Grace Under Pressure through Roll the Bones for me?

Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Presto / Roll The Bones
(Tie)

GUP and PW are essential, IMO!

Totally agree with this ranking system. Grace under pressure is the best of the lot in my opinion.
Neal Peart drumming is wild!! I love Between The Wheels. He shows off like crazy. Just love it. Middle finger in the air! Lol

I couldn't ever get into GUP for some reason, i should try again..

Mine would go quite different. 

Hold Your Fire
Power Windows
GUP
Presto
RTB

:-3

Edited by Horizons - December 16 2013 at 14:12
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 17:07
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Hold Your Fire 
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Presto
Roll the Bones

Song wise, PW is as good as Moving Pictures.  the production is also quite dynamic, despite the 80s sound.  i love Distant Early Warning, but GUP just seems like the band was running out of ideas and quite tired.  They've even said so.  I personally love Presto, but Roll the Bones is not that amazing, aside from a few songs.  Take the good tunes from those albums and you'd have a killer mix.  In fact, I'm gonna do that tonight!!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 01:58
Grace under Pressure
Power Windows
Presto
Roll the Bones
Hold Your Fire

Power Windows used to be my favorite, but Grace under Pressure has reclaimed the spot as my favorite 80's Rush album.
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 09:07
I'm currently giving PW a serious listen for the first time since it came out. I've spun it 7 or 8 times all the way through in the last week.

When it came out it was the final departure for me for Rush for a while (until 1999 actually). Rush was my first love, and I preferred them heavier. I stuck with them through Signals and GUP (both of which I enjoyed a lot) but PW was a big let down for me.

At the time Priest, Maiden, VH, Metallica and so on were putting out the metal I loved.

And the "mainstream" rock was covered by the Police, U2, Bruce, John Cougar etc etc

New wave an anomaly and while I could find songs I enjoyed, it was never my preferred genre. I didn't expect Rush to have all these keyboards everywhere and it was disconcerting.

that said Manhattan Project I ALWAYS loved...what a gorgeous song.

As I listen now, I can say that it is growing on me. It does sound very dated...very 80s. I have visions of Alex in a button down shirt and skinny tie dancing around playing these wimpy rhythm guitar parts (not that I ever saw him do that or even know if he did, lol).

Or Molly Ringwald and company dancing like this:

breakfast club clip

But that aside, I am finding the textures and nuances to be enjoyable on repeated listens. I read somewhere about it being a "cold" album and I agree wholeheartedly...very electronic, very techno.

To me it will never, ever be close to Moving Pictures (which I consider to be one of the greatest albums of all time, by anyone) but I am slowly enjoying it.

Perhaps I'll move on to HYF in the coming weeks.

It's really cool to uncover old music from a band I've always loved and have the pleasure of discovering it as new

Edited by Crumple - December 17 2013 at 09:08
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 09:21
Presto was the first album that they released while I was a fan, and it was the first time that I saw them on tour, so I have always had a special place in my heart for that one.  I had first heard Limelight and Tom Sawyer on pop radio when I was a kid as they invaded my Pop 40 radio station along with Yes' Owner of A Lonely Heart. I didn't like them at all back then.  It wasn't until 6 or 7 years later when a friend turned me onto them via 2112, and I bought Caress of Steel on CD that I became a fan. 

I'd say Grace Under Pressure is probably my 2nd favorite from this period.

Roll The Bones is 3rd. It was the first album that I bought from them on the day it was released, and I have done so with the rest of their studio albums since then.

I'd say Power Windows and Hold Your Fire would be 4th and 5th.  I love just about everything that they have done though, so that isn't really a bad thing. 
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:01
^ yep I hear you on your love of Presto. that's what makes reviewing music so hard...no one can know the context in which people have bonded to music...

Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:04

T4E is patchy. That song, "Virtuality," isn't aging well.

Curious why you say this? I just posted about some other stuff sounding dated (but still enjoyable) but Virtuality sounds current to me.

Do you mean lyrically?
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:22
Grace Under Pressure
Presto
Hold Your Fire
Power Windows
Roll the Bones

Granted, its been a while since I've heard PW, so it could move up in the list potentially.  RtB is the only one of the bunch, imo, that's a step down for the band, and it's still a good album.  Presto gets low ratings here but if you're willing to open your mind to a different kind of sound you can really learn to enjoy it.  It's one of Rush's most tasteful and mature albums and one of their best, I think.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:26
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Grace Under Pressure
Presto
Hold Your Fire
Power Windows
Roll the Bones

Granted, its been a while since I've heard PW, so it could move up in the list potentially.  RtB is the only one of the bunch, imo, that's a step down for the band, and it's still a good album.  Presto gets low ratings here but if you're willing to open your mind to a different kind of sound you can really learn to enjoy it.  It's one of Rush's most tasteful and mature albums and one of their best, I think.

It took me quite a while before I actually gave Presto a listen because of the many negative reviews it had. But I would tend to disagree with them. It's kind of a phenomenon in Rush's catalog, in that it's really eons different than every other album they've released.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:41

I'm currently giving PW a serious listen for the first time since it came out. I've spun it 7 or 8 times all the way through in the last week.

When it came out it was the final departure for me for Rush for a while (until 1999 actually). Rush was my first love, and I preferred them heavier. I stuck with them through Signals and GUP (both of which I enjoyed a lot) but PW was a big let down for me.

At the time Priest, Maiden, VH, Metallica and so on were putting out the metal I loved.

And the "mainstream" rock was covered by the Police, U2, Bruce, John Cougar etc etc

New wave an anomaly and while I could find songs I enjoyed, it was never my preferred genre. I didn't expect Rush to have all these keyboards everywhere and it was disconcerting.

As I listen now, I can say that it is growing on me. It does sound very dated...very 80s. I have visions of Alex in a button down shirt and skinny tie dancing around playing these wimpy rhythm guitar parts (not that I ever saw him do that or even know if he did, lol).

breakfast club clip

But that aside, I am finding the textures and nuances to be enjoyable on repeated listens. I read somewhere about it being a "cold" album and I agree wholeheartedly...very electronic, very techno.

To me it will never, ever be close to Moving Pictures (which I consider to be one of the greatest albums of all time, by anyone) but I am slowly enjoying it.

It's really cool to uncover old music from a band I've always loved and have the pleasure of discovering it as new

Well it's nice that you are having an open mind to do so and have some appreciation and understanding for PW given the time and popular sound wave boom it was produced in.
Give hold your fire and presto a go as well. Experience the entire 80's saga, then you will really know what you love from them. Enjoy. It's actually my favourite rush era.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:43
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Can the big 80s Rush fans rank the albums Grace Under Pressure through Roll the Bones for me?

Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Presto / Roll The Bones
(Tie)

GUP and PW are essential, IMO!

Totally agree with this ranking system. Grace under pressure is the best of the lot in my opinion.
Neal Peart drumming is wild!! I love Between The Wheels. He shows off like crazy. Just love it. Middle finger in the air! Lol

I couldn't ever get into GUP for some reason, i should try again..
Mine would go quite different. 
Hold Your Fire
Power Windows
GUP
Presto
RTB
:-3

Still a nice order cause its interesting to see such high praise for HYF.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 12:39
Love it, Love it, Love it.

It'd consistency is so strong it even puts the thought of me liking it more than Signals in my head - and i think i'm listening to it ;o

Edited by Horizons - December 17 2013 at 12:40
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 14:27

breakfast club clip

what's ironic about that album is that it is a good rush album AND if you want to hear what music sounded like in the 80s, you put that album on.  it has everything that was fun and awful in the 80s all rolled in one.  Wink
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 00:41
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

breakfast club clip

what's ironic about that album is that it is a good rush album AND if you want to hear what music sounded like in the 80s, you put that album on.  it has everything that was fun and awful in the 80s all rolled in one.  Wink

Though personally, I do like Geddy's hairstyle from the 80's, that ponytail with the fluff on top. I thought it suited him quite well.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 05:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 09:15
I think I'm gonna listen to Power Windows tonight. This thread has got me motivated for some more 80's Rush. :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 12:20
I am a tad older than you snot nosed kids Big smile.....PW is one of my fav Rush albums. Even though I grew up with Hemis, AFTK, 2112....I still spin it often, I still have the original vinyl issue and I think it is one of the best sounding vinyl they have.
Grand Designs, Marathon, Mystic Rhythms.....freaking great stuff. And all still play well live
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 00:19

T4E is patchy. That song, "Virtuality," isn't aging well.

Curious why you say this? I just posted about some other stuff sounding dated (but still enjoyable) but Virtuality sounds current to me.

Do you mean lyrically?

It's one of those "stock" songs Rush threw onto some of their albums in the '90s, like "Red Tide" and "You Bet Your Life." It sounds like it was assembled and recorded very quickly. There are other songs from that era I like a lot, lot less than I did when I heard them initially, like "Anagram (For Mongo)," "The Pass," "Neurotica" (dreadful, that) and "Stick It Out" (the only song I skip over on Counterparts, which is otherwise a brilliant album, IMO).
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 08:52
^hmmm most of those songs are from Presto and RTB which I've never listened to...so given my love for Virtuality I may be pleasantly surprised when I do!

I enjoy the lyrics, which some find corny...especially this part

"Like a pair of vagabonds who wave between two passing trains
Or the glimpse of a woman's smile through a window in the rain
I can smell her perfume,
I can taste her lips
I can feel the voltage from her fingertips"

A couple of very cool snapshots in there... and something kind of sexy also (rare for Rush)

I do agree with you on Stick It Out though...that's one I never really enjoyed that much...and tend to skip.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 12:29
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am a tad older than you snot nosed kids Big smile.....PW is one of my fav Rush albums. Even though I grew up with Hemis, AFTK, 2112....I still spin it often, I still have the original vinyl issue and I think it is one of the best sounding vinyl they have.
Grand Designs, Marathon, Mystic Rhythms.....freaking great stuff. And all still play well live

Snotty here. Gotta agree with you. I also feel that Power Windows and Presto are 2 very under appreciated albums in general. I think those 2 albums alone are better than pretty much all the stuff they did in the 90's except for arguably Counterparts, and pretty much all their 21st century stuff except Clockwork Angels.
Just my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 65>