Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 65>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 16:31
Well I do enjoy S&A quite a bit....Workin Them Angels is a pretty hard heavy tune that resonates well with me and Far Cry is a killer song even The Larger Bowl, I know most are not fond of that album but for me it works and plays well.

Very good musicianship, really not too overtly conceptual....just a good hard rocking album. But yes, going back a bit Counterparts is a beast of an album!
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 00:06
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well I do enjoy S&A quite a bit....Workin Them Angels is a pretty hard heavy tune that resonates well with me and Far Cry is a killer song even The Larger Bowl, I know most are not fond of that album but for me it works and plays well.

Very good musicianship, really not too overtly conceptual....just a good hard rocking album. But yes, going back a bit Counterparts is a beast of an album!

I tend to wonder why people dislike Snakes & Arrows. I agree it's a good album, though maybe not quite as good as Clockwork Angels, if only because it lacks that awesome strong concept. I would put 'Workin' Them Angels' as my favorite from that album too.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 11:45
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I tend to wonder why people dislike Snakes & Arrows. I agree it's a good album, though maybe not quite as good as Clockwork Angels, if only because it lacks that awesome strong concept. I would put 'Workin' Them Angels' as my favorite from that album too.

S&A is a very good album that is a bit too long.  Like some other of Rush's late-period albums (well, RtB especially), it could have benefited from the elimination of a few weaker tracks (Good  News First, Bravest Face) but some of the songs on the album just kick ass.  I love the multi-layered nature of the album; even though the band themselves thought they overdid it I personally felt like it really added to the appeal of the record, although I am glad they stripped it down for Clockwork Angels, also.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 11:57
S&A is my favorite "modern" Rush album.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 15:24
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

S&A is a very good album that is a bit too long.  Like some other of Rush's late-period albums (well, RtB especially), it could have benefited from the elimination of a few weaker tracks (Good  News First, Bravest Face) but some of the songs on the album just kick ass.  I love the multi-layered nature of the album; even though the band themselves thought they overdid it I personally felt like it really added to the appeal of the record, although I am glad they stripped it down for Clockwork Angels, also.

Ok...I just heard it straight from the horses mouth Big smile.....I agree 100% the album is a bit too long, that is probably my only issue with S&A.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 15:31
Snakes and Arrows is a bit too long and also Clockwork Angels, Roll the Bones and even Counterparts with some filler songs. Since the existence of the CD, the band has put some songs that would have fit on B sides of our great 70's bands.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 15:11
So judging from recent comments it would seem most would rank 2000s Rush as

1. Clockwork Angels
2. Vapor Trails
3. Snakes & Arrows

Or would you flip 1 and 2?

I've only heard Clockwork...which has taken me quite a bit of time to bond with (still trying). The first few spins I found it impenetrable and a bit leaden/wooden/relentlessly thick...almost...sludgy?

People laugh at me for "trying" to like some music...haha...but I know myself...if it clicks right away I usually forget it a month later. If it takes some time...it rewards for a lifetime in some cases. ;)

anyone else like that?
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 20:19
For me it's

Snakes & Arrows
Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails

I love everything about S&A, it's very heavy and humble. CA to me sounds like Rush reaching into unfamiliar territory and though seeing them with an orchestra actually brought tears to my eyes live it just doesn't sound like the Rush I know. Might age well though! I loved the story and the first time I heard The Garden it brought me to tears.

Errm... Rush makes me cry a lot, kay!? They really know how to demand an audience's attention and play with emotion in their music! Embarrassed

That order might change if I heard Vapor Trails Remixed. I love the writing in VT but it sounds like mud Unhappy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 20:31
Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

For me it's

Snakes & Arrows
Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails

I love everything about S&A, it's very heavy and humble. CA to me sounds like Rush reaching into unfamiliar territory and though seeing them with an orchestra actually brought tears to my eyes live it just doesn't sound like the Rush I know. Might age well though! I loved the story and the first time I heard The Garden it brought me to tears.

Errm... Rush makes me cry a lot, kay!? They really know how to demand an audience's attention and play with emotion in their music! Embarrassed

That order might change if I heard Vapor Trails Remixed. I love the writing in VT but it sounds like mud Unhappy

Ohh boy...I suspect VT will move to #2 for you then at minimum. The remix is fantastic, I am a vinyl guy and the remix vinyl is amazing! I hear sounds that I don't on the original CD. Especially Secret Touch, one of my favs, and Earthshine, of course.
I never thought the original CD sounded like mud, now back then I really did not know much about the loudness wars/issue, it just sounded heavy to me, but it fit considering it was the "return" of Rush...so I loved it!

Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 20:36
Ooooh, that is good news

I'm excited. I really enjoy all the songs from the album and it's the only one that to me sounds samey because of what I perceive as production issues. But I became a Rush fan around 2003 so I didn't have to suffer through the hiatus.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 20:55
Personally, I would rank my favorites from modern times as...

1) Clockwork Angels
2) Snakes & Arrows
3) Vapor Trails (remixed or not)

Clockwork Angels is quite awesome in my opinion. I also really like Snakes & Arrows, but Clockwork Angels eclipses it by just a bit. Vapor Trails definitely narrowed the gap with the remixed edition, but I still prefer Snakes & Arrows over it. Also, to be quite honest, I can't even listen to the original Vapor Trails anymore, not with the way the remixes turned out.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 21:08
Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

Ooooh, that is good news

I'm excited. I really enjoy all the songs from the album and it's the only one that to me sounds samey because of what I perceive as production issues. But I became a Rush fan around 2003 so I didn't have to suffer through the hiatus.

Lucky you!! The hiatus was BRUTAL!!!! I all about gave up they would return to the studio, let alone see them live again. But these issues I suppose masked my feelings towards the sound of VT, it still does not bother me, I can listen to the CD. I remember when it came out.....I played it daily for probably a month straight. Headbanger
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 12:00
So it's just me that thinks Clockwork sounds sludgy?  Maybe it's just really heavy.  I don't find much space in the music at all.

Maybe I got a bad copy?  I bought the CD at a used CD place but it was still shrink wrapped.

Edited by Crumple - January 08 2014 at 12:15
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 14:51
Yeah. Clockwork Angels. I think BU2B, THE ANARCHIST and HEADLONG FLIGHT really some up the attitude of the album. It is heavier. Certainly heavier than Counterparts and of course the lousy Test For Echo; in fact, I think maybe ClockWork Angels may be Rush's heaviest album they've ever done.
It's got sludge appeal, although I'm biased cause I come from a metal background anyway.

Sludge on! It's a good album. Didn't care for Vapor Trails or Snakes and Arrows but tracks like FAR CRY and EARTHSHINE absolutely kill!!

Also. I've not heard the remix of Vapor Trails. Can anyone say here, that its extensively better or even all that different from the original? Opinions are welcomed.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 15:06
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Also. I've not heard the remix of Vapor Trails. Can anyone say here, that its extensively better or even all that different from the original? Opinions are welcomed.

The remix is amazingly better! For my money Vapor Trails is one of the best written of Rush's albums since Subdivisions, but the way it was brickwalled made it essentially unlistenable. Now finally the music can be heard as it was meant to be. I think your mind will change about the album overall if you listen to the remix. (And by the way, if you can track down a vinyl rip, it sounds even better!)
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 21:45
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Vapor Trails is one of the best written of Rush's albums since Signals

^This is gospel! The remixed "Freeze" is worth the price of admission on the re-release.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 05:37
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

The remix is amazingly better! For my money Vapor Trails is one of the best written of Rush's albums since Subdivisions, but the way it was brickwalled made it essentially unlistenable. Now finally the music can be heard as it was meant to be. I think your mind will change about the album overall if you listen to the remix. (And by the way, if you can track down a vinyl rip, it sounds even better!)

I reckon you probably mean, Signals. wow. Well this sounds very encouraging and I love how so many here on Pa are so pro on Vinyl. I'm a Digital man (like the Rush song) and have been for years, but I have been looking into DAC players with pre-amp capabilities to test through some of my gear.
I'd like to hear a sound that is slightly warmer and less refined. It'll add to the intimacy I am thinking?
Well see. And rush will be at the for front for the test....mind you I won't be testing for echo. Yikes!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 07:42
I love Alex Lifeson's playing as a Rock player who often crossed into progressive styles. I like his open chord voicings which supposedly Townshend was a influence on Lifeson's playing in that area. I love his ideas and how they flow through the music. He sort of carries the Rush pieces with a distinctive sound/style that defines the band itself. I always liked Victor which was rather strange and held my attention. I recall a vocalist sounding exactly like Geddy Lee. At first...I thought it was Geddy Lee. I'm going to listen to Victor now. Woopie!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 08:34
Shut up...and play your guitar.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 09:40

Yeah. Clockwork Angels. I think BU2B, THE ANARCHIST and HEADLONG FLIGHT really some up the attitude of the album. It is heavier. Certainly heavier than Counterparts and of course the lousy Test For Echo; in fact, I think maybe ClockWork Angels may be Rush's heaviest album they've ever done.
It's got sludge appeal, although I'm biased cause I come from a metal background anyway.

Sludge on! It's a good album. Didn't care for Vapor Trails or Snakes and Arrows but tracks like FAR CRY and EARTHSHINE absolutely kill!!

I only have the vinyl remix version....INSANE!!!! Quality of music is some of the best, Secret Touch is a beast of a song but now it is even better for me. The new mix brought in a different feel on the song, new sounds are heard compared to the CD I have. It is better and different in areas....but I also am one that did not have too much of a problem with the original mix, it was just a heavy album for me. Maybe audio system plays a part in what you hear on some of these brickwalled albums, dunno. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 65>