Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 65>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 08:05
^ That's the beauty of this album and Neal Peart's lyrics......maybe we need to wait for the book to understand better Big smile. But right now I am completely engulfed in this album and its song structure, performance, design and dare I say brilliance...to pay too much attention to the lyrical meanings.
I will get there I am sure......This album is a MONSTER Rush creation.

That 10/10 pre-review is starting to make sense. The Garden is simply mesmarizing!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 11:21
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

Got the fan pack - love the magazine.

Best album since Counterparts.  Loving it.

Wow I just finished my first listen of the whole album.

I love Counterparts too! My opinion is every album following was a step down in the quality and consistency of great tracks - you would get some excellent tracks of course but the rest would disappoint.

Snakes and Arrows grew on me eventually and I think its excellent but the songs on Clockwork Angels immediately grab me and thats a good sign. I would rate it at least 4 stars  but maybe more as the songs hook into my brain,\\

After its over I can only remember 2 songs but they are Caravan and Headlong Flight proving it takes time to let the music sink in.

I do like The Garden, Wish Them Well and The Wreckers also as well as the first 5 tracks so there is not really a bad song on it. Its a relief really as this could have flopped but it definitely won't as there is consistent quality and depth in the lyrics. I have to sit down and go over the lyrics now as I dont actually get the concept yet....Confused 

Hi Scott
You mentioned having a borrowed CD....You need to get the CD package, as mine has liner notes for each song and Neil Peart gives a small snippet of the story as it progresses. It gives an insight to the story line.....for example on Caravan

..."It seems like a lifetime ago - which of course it was, all that and more. For a boy, life on the farm was idyllic, but for the young man I became, that very peace and predictability were stifling, unbearable. I had big dreams, and needed a big place to explore them: the whole wide world.
Near our village of Barrel Arbor, the steamliners touched down and traveled on rails along the Winding Pinion River toward Crown City. Watching them pass in the night, how I prayed to get away...."

Of course Caravan is about getting away and the means to do it on the steampunk inspired zeppelins, so this is the start of the young boys journey.

I will not post more for those who do not have their booklet yet.......But you need it to follow along the storyline.

Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:36
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

And one more thing:

Get a 5.1 system and play the RUSH 5.1 mixes of Fly By Night & Farewell to Kings & Signals.  Then play oh say,
RUSH - Counterparts on the same exact system:  You will clearly observe all the things Zuma wrote about....
Overly tinny sound, no clarity of the instruments, compression that kills stereo imagery. Bad sounding digital
guitar effects, etc....

Okay, bad example, considering Counterparts sounds awesome.  Counterparts does not suffer from compression or loudness or anything that the albums since pretty much all have (especially Vapor Trails).  

The new album is a bit too hot at times, and I wish was a bit less noisy during the most rocking parts (although not even close to as offensive as VT in that regard), but the music on it is so good that I can overlook that for the most part.  
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:45
I've listened tothis a few times through now and have revised my earlier thinking.
The production is the only thing that lets this down. There are at least 4 or 5 classics on the album and barring BU2B2 no real filler.
The production is very bassy and until I listened to it on a good system I found it really muddy and indistinct - like I was standing outside the gig rather than in the crowd.

The mid-section of The Anarchist, Carnies and Halo Effect is a superb run of potential classics with The Wreckers providing another 'hit'. The total standout is the closer The Garden. Genuinely up there with the best songs they have ever produced. It has everything - heart and soul combined with excellent lyrics and great instrumentation.

Looking forward to next years Glasgow gig :)

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:51
I will be paying a CD shop a visit tomorrow to pick this one up.  I might hit the Barnes and Nobles first though to see if they have the Classic Rock Magazine version.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 15:05
I seem to have been waiting for this album for so long now.

But:

Release date of the album in the UK has been put back until 11th July!!  Also Amazon have just put the price of the Classic Rock fan pack up to nearly £15!!

Luckily, I have just been able to order a copy of the fan pack from Amazon Market Place for just £10 (used but like new, the seller says he has only ripped the CD to itunes and not really touched anything else.)

So, hopefully in a couple of days I will at long last have a copy of Clockwork Angels.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 15:45
Contrary to some comments about the sound production of this album, I don't get it, rather hear it. I find the album mastering to be very well done. No compression like many, many other CDs of late.
I have a pretty high end revealing system and any "bad" stuff I usually hear very quickly.......After about 10 listens so far I have yet to experience any listener fatigue.

So that being said.........THIS FRIGGIN ALBUM IS A MONSTER!!!!!!!

Edited by Catcher10 - June 11 2012 at 15:45
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:01
Im getting the album at Target tomorrow morning- I cant wait!

dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:10
Originally posted by Biff Tannen Biff Tannen wrote:

Get a 5.1 system and play the RUSH 5.1 mixes of Fly By Night & Farewell to Kings & Signals.  Then play oh say,
RUSH - Counterparts on the same exact system:  You will clearly observe all the things Zuma wrote about....
Overly tinny sound, no clarity of the instruments, compression that kills stereo imagery. Bad sounding digital
guitar effects, etc....

Okay, bad example, considering Counterparts sounds awesome.  Counterparts does not suffer from compression or loudness or anything that the albums since pretty much all have (especially Vapor Trails).  

The new album is a bit too hot at times, and I wish was a bit less noisy during the most rocking parts (although not even close to as offensive as VT in that regard), but the music on it is so good that I can overlook that for the most part.  

Mr. Biff:

You have perhaps the coolest name here on the forum...       "Hey McFly!!!!"....        LOL

Just for clarity, I didn't include Clockwork Angels, as it hadn't existed as I wrote my post!  I was speaking of:

Counterparts (1993)
Test for Echo (1996)
Vapor Trails (2002)
Snakes & Arrows (2007)  (the best sounding of this bunch by far...)

After blasting Fly By Night & Farewell to Kings & Signals (new 5.1 DVD-Audio mix) I played tracks off the selected above RUSH records and I have yet to recover.  It was horrible, sonically speaking.  No they are not all equally over compressed, but they all sound like sh&%t compared to even Fly By Night.

Have you heard the new Fly By Night in 5.1?
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:23
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Contrary to some comments about the sound production of this album, I don't get it, rather hear it. I find the album mastering to be very well done. No compression like many, many other CDs of late.
I have a pretty high end revealing system and any "bad" stuff I usually hear very quickly.......After about 10 listens so far I have yet to experience any listener fatigue.

Hey m8,

Maybe I missed some stuff in the back pages, I didn't see much criticism about Clockwork Angel's sound quality.
But then I miss a lot of things!   My post was all about the CDs released prior to CA.

-Edit-  I just saw wjohnd's comments.  The only negative I would say about Clockwork Angels is that RUSH made a total bonehead mistake by not releasing a 5.1 mix of CA.  See Alex's recent interview for details.  CA has so many tracks and so much stuff going on it was made for 5.1. 

I agree Clockwork Angels sounds good.  I especially like the song Clockwork Angels.  

I am glad you are really enjoying CA. Smile    Nothing better then getting a new record that can be enjoyed and treasured immediately. 

Now all we need is a review of Clockwork Angels by Dr. Prog and we will be good to go.    Wink   LOL

Cheers!

DM

Edited by dennismoore - June 11 2012 at 17:28
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Hemiprogger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:48
I have been listening to it on repeat tonight - I got the fan pack - and its growing better every time. There are some tunes on here that will bear comparison with the best work they have ever done. One part of me says who would have guessed they could still be this good and the other part says how could you doubt them? And I agree with Catcher10 comment about production its rich!.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 18:03

Hey m8,

Maybe I missed some stuff in the back pages, I didn't see much criticism about Clockwork Angel's sound quality.
But then I miss a lot of things!   My post was all about the CDs released prior to CA.

-Edit-  I just saw wjohnd's comments.  The only negative I would say about Clockwork Angels is that RUSH made a total bonehead mistake by not releasing a 5.1 mix of CA.  See Alex's recent interview for details.  CA has so many tracks and so much stuff going on it was made for 5.1. 

I agree Clockwork Angels sounds good.  I especially like the song Clockwork Angels.  

I am glad you are really enjoying CA. Smile    Nothing better then getting a new record that can be enjoyed and treasured immediately. 

Now all we need is a review of Clockwork Angels by Dr. Prog and we will be good to go.    Wink   LOL

Cheers!

DM

Correct my post was not about anything you mentioned. There is no negative to not releasing a 5.1 version.....Understand that I am 100% a 2-channel natural sound listener of music. I could never do 5.1 or 7.1 for music, movies are fine but not music. There is something to be said for an impeccable mastering performance of 2 channels.
I have heard $5k systems that can give that amazing 3D reproduction on 2 channels. My system is not that expensive, but with the components I have I do hear it......That's the difference.

Besides, I have 2 ears......a Left one and a Right one. Wink
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 18:13

I think i might have been a bit hasty with my comment before. I had ripped the CD and was listening to it on laptop where it sounded pretty crappy but I was listening to the CD proper today and it sounds much better.
Have also re-ripped at 320 (as opposed to 256) and it has made a heck of a difference.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 18:31
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

I think i might have been a bit hasty with my comment before. I had ripped the CD and was listening to it on laptop where it sounded pretty crappy but I was listening to the CD proper today and it sounds much better.
Have also re-ripped at 320 (as opposed to 256) and it has made a heck of a difference.

No worries!! But if you have the CD, why on earth are you ripping in a lossy format??Confused

All my CD rips are done as WMA Lossless anywhere from 900kbps to 1200kbps
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 18:34
I sense fanboyism, and the excitement of the new album is clouding most of your perceptions. I'm guilty of it myself, so I understand. But I don't know if I should get this or not.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 18:43
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I sense fanboyism, and the excitement of the new album is clouding most of your perceptions. I'm guilty of it myself, so I understand. But I don't know if I should get this or not.

Read the review AtomicCrimsonRush posted. Its very detailed and gives you a good sense of the storyline....if that does not appeal to you then don't get it......That's what I usually do for bands I do not follow closely.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 19:12

Read the review AtomicCrimsonRush posted. Its very detailed and gives you a good sense of the storyline....if that does not appeal to you then don't get it......That's what I usually do for bands I do not follow closely.

I skimmed through it, it's a big read. I guess I'll wait a little while and see how your feelings are once you guys have had the album for a little while.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 19:35
Just read an interview with Geddy in the Toronto Sun where the interviewer suggests that RUSH have just written their "Tommy". Geddy agrees and says "You know, so many of our albums were really concept albums, we just didn't say it out loud."  "This is more overt. We're admitting to it...I think "Tommy's" a good reference to me because what i love about "Tommy" is you pull all the songs off "Tommy" and they stand on their own...they're Rock songs that are not necessarily dependant on the other rock songs on that album to be good and to be valid and that was something i was after with this album."
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 20:15

. There is no negative to not releasing a 5.1 version.....Understand that I am 100% a 2-channel natural sound listener of music. I could never do 5.1 or 7.1 for music

Besides, I have 2 ears......a Left one and a Right one. Wink

Oh dear and oh my, there is so much here that needs to be clarified..., but I know you are really diggin the new RUSH, so perhaps we can talk about the "illusion" of stereo and mixing in general some other time (after you come down from Cloud 9 vis-a-vis Clockwork Angels.) Tongue

Whatever you dig is your call, but stereo is not natural whatsoever.  Stereo is an illusion created to fit into a limited sonic space the multi-instrument music that became prevalent as technology allowed more complex multi-track recordings....  There is no such thing as a natural stereo sound source in nature.... to be continued if you are interested...

Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 20:17

Hey man,

I don't recall, which RUSH recordings do you have/like so I can get a sense of where you are coming from.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 65>