Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy are Magenta not huge???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are Magenta not huge???
    Posted: August 17 2007 at 09:11
Magenta should be huge, they are great musicians, have a brilliant vocalist, great songs and are a top live group. If there was justice they would be playing Hammersmith odeon instead of the Borderline in nov.
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 09:14
I'm with you.  Seven is in my top 10 and I love Home & NY Suite.  Got bashed by some but it is a grower and awesome in it's own right.  Recently got Revolutions and that one is great as well.  Have you gotten "The Singles" and if so, how is it?
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
ian picken View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 09:17
Yes I got singles and its worh the purchase if you have not got the ep,s and a couple of rare singles.The live double is great also

Edited by ian picken - August 17 2007 at 09:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 09:19
I don't have any of the ep's so The Singles should be perfect.  Thanks
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 09:30
I know of tons of bar bands that are simply great. Why aren't they huge too? Wink

ian picken View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 09:40
Yeah the ep,s are really good.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 10:27
Magenta are Good, but for me they will never be Great, but it will not stop me buying their CDs.

But IMO they lack that certain magic - that unknown element that marks them out from the crowd, the one that makes them Different, Special. I wish I knew what it was, because there are dozens of really talented bands out there that suffer from the same affliction, but perhaps one day they'll find it themselves and release the killer CD.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 11:15
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Magenta are Good, but for me they will never be Great, but it will not stop me buying their CDs.

But IMO they lack that certain magic - that unknown element that marks them out from the crowd, the one that makes them Different, Special. I wish I knew what it was, because there are dozens of really talented bands out there that suffer from the same affliction, but perhaps one day they'll find it themselves and release the killer CD.

To each his own, but I believe Rob Reed does have that something special and Christina takes it to another level.  But I do think you are right, he may have a killer in him to top what he has done so far.  New album coming around January and it could be a monster.  Let's hope.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 11:59
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

To each his own, but I believe Rob Reed does have that something special and Christina takes it to another level.  But I do think you are right, he may have a killer in him to top what he has done so far.  New album coming around January and it could be a monster.  Let's hope.
I agree (with both of us Confused) - Rob does have something, as he demonstrated on the Chimpan A side project, I hope he brings some of that to the next Magenta album.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 13:00
You've heard the Chipman A?  Do you think it should be on PA?  I'm not sure myself.  I heard someone call it prog but not prog rock.

Edited by johnobvious - August 17 2007 at 13:02
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 13:25
Well, I left the Magenta performance at NearFest for a few songs because I was bored.  I went back though for the White Witch, and that was quite good.  On the whole their performance was strong, I just found some of the material............well, tedious.

I have their first two albums.  Revolutions I like, for it's retro, influences on the sleeve sound.  A very well done original tribute to 70's prog.  Seven I just find too bland and homogeneous.  But to each his own I guess.  I really do think they are a good band, and they were probably the most energetic and lively band at NF, they just don't do a whole lot for me.

I think it was the Home material that caused me to leave the theater, since I didn't recognize the songs.

(actually, leaving turned out to be kind of interesting since I got to see Rodger Dean pass out on the floor after downing a 9% alcohol beer given to him by the violin player of Frogg Cafe.................I kid you not...............................then the FC bass player yelled over to Rodger as he was pulling out another beer, "Hey Rodger, need another beer!"  LOL  Apparently Rodger hadn't had a beer in many years.  I couldn't make this up.)

Magic Mountain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 13:27
I saw them at NEARFest in June.  They were much better live than on their studio cds.  The guitarist played very emotional which I do not find so much on the studio recordings.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 13:34
I think the main criticism of Magenta is that they are too derivative. Their music often lacks originality. That said, I enjoy their msuic a lot, and would advise taking such criticism with a pinch of salt.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 13:42

You've heard the Chipman A?  Do you think it should be on PA?  I'm not sure myself.  I heard someone call it prog but not prog rock.
They are one of my 'guilty secret' bands - a perfect example of Pop-prog at its best and at times it is jaw-droppingly good. They are definitely a Neo-Prog band by my reckoning and should be here.

The blend of styles is innovative, invigorating and very well executed. I prefer them over Frost (who I would cynically classify as Neo-bandwagon) any day. However I can imagine the reaction around here when people hear the Tubular Bells sample Wink - but it's nothing worse than Mike has done himself and he actually endorses its use.

The singer from The Storys (Steve Balsamo) is a little too boyband sounding for comfort and that weakens the album IMO, but the guest singers, Sam Brown, Sian Cothi, Margo Buchannan and of course Magenta's Christina Booth are all excellent. I even like the Faithless style spoken word from Tony Dallas.
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 13:45
Magenta had a big campaign to get their last single into the charts and it looked like they might do it at one point. Unfortunately it wasn't that good. Personally I reckon their music would appeal to the non-prog listening public, all they need is the right exposure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 13:50

They are one of my 'guilty secret' bands - a perfect example of Pop-prog at its best and at times it is jaw-droppingly good. They are definitely a Neo-Prog band by my reckoning and should be here.

The blend of styles is innovative, invigorating and very well executed. I prefer them over Frost (who I would cynically classify as Neo-bandwagon) any day. However I can imagine the reaction around here when people hear the Tubular Bells sample Wink - but it's nothing worse than Mike has done himself and he actually endorses its use.

The singer from The Storys (Steve Balsamo) is a little too boyband sounding for comfort and that weakens the album IMO, but the guest singers, Sam Brown, Sian Cothi, Margo Buchannan and of course Magenta's Christina Booth are all excellent. I even like the Faithless style spoken word from Tony Dallas.

After I got the CD, I thought I could add it to the list of prog that my wife might like.  She's okay with it but it is another wasted effort to get her on my bandwagon, like so many before it.  Cry  Good stuff though.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 14:27
I haven't much liked what little I've heard of them; sounded commercial and unadventurous to my ears.  That said, I would think that they could find considerable popular success due to the aforementioned qualities.

As Majester X intimates, being excellent does not mean that a band will make it big.  Artistic success (which tends to be in the ear of the behearer anyway) does not equal commercial success.  The music of many talented bands that did not make it big was too demanding/ unconventional for mass consumption (not formulaic, innovative, weird...).

That said, sounds like a very competent band, and I wish them success.  Since I haven't heard much of the band's work, which album or song do you consider to be their most experimental/ innovative? I haven't heard enough to form a strong opinion, but would like to hear some of their most progressive stuff.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 14:30
^^Seven is the best of the bunch and the one that will tell you if you like the band or not
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 14:41
Thanks!  I like the concept, so that sounds like a great place to start.  Actually, I already know Gluttony off that album -- pleasant, but very mainstream sounding.  It's often the case that I just have to find that right song or moment (like a great transition) to click before the whole thing falls into place.

Edited by Logan - August 17 2007 at 14:44
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 15:03

^^Seven is the best of the bunch and the one that will tell you if you like the band or not

Funny, I don't like Seven all that much but really like Revolutions.  Of course, Revolutions is more of a 70's prog tribute than anything else, and is almost entirely the work of Rob Reed.  Seven and Home are the ones that seem to show the actual sound of Magenta as a band.  I haven't heard Home yet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>