Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson Fan Central

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:51
The melotron was not very prevelant on ltia anyways...
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 00:13
Ok, here's the point some people seem to be missing: King Crimson will consist of Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, and Pat Mastellotto.  No matter how much you bitch and moan about it, you aren't gonna get Ian McDonald or Mel Collins or David Cross back, and you aren't gonna get a new frontman.  Seems to me like looking FORWARD to the new King Crimson lineup is a much better idea than looking BACK at how great it was when there were 'trons and saxes and violins abounding.  

Edited by rileydog22 - August 19 2007 at 00:13

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 00:18
Nobody is bitching and moaning. I'm just saying I feel that KC isn't progressing forward as much so as in the past and the retention of members, particularly Belew will cause that to happen. I certainly don't want a repeat of the past, however, having an instrument besides guitar won't mean they will release ITCOTCK Act II anymore than having two guitars means they're going to release Discipline again.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 00:28
Hey, it's King Crimson.  I think it's safe to say that this year, they will do something different.  They have always done something different (with the possible exception of the Double Trio-Double Duo transition, but I think Fripp is aware of the need to move on).  What they will do differently this year is up in the air, but I think that it's safe to assume that reeds, brass, and violin are out of the question, as is a new frontman (I personally am looking forward to more Belew).   I'd rather just wait and see how they will surprise us than to go through all the different ways that they won't. 

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 01:04
Hey I'm cool with whateva the crimson does as long as they are still as challenging as they can possibly be!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 01:39
As much as I love the Krim, they aren't really challenging at all when compared to RIO, Zeuhl, Kraut, etc. 

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 03:32
What is it you don't like about John Wetton's vocals? I've always enjoyed his work with KC...
Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 07:31

Crimson are in my top five all time favorite bands.  They introduced me to prog in my early years, around 12, with ITCOTCK album.  I remember falling in love with this album.  It took me to places no other music had done before.  I would listen to the whole album in one sitting and be put in another world, each song setting the stage for a trip to far away galaxies, while staring at the cover.  Epitaph was the first time I recall hearing a mellotron and I remember trying to figure out what instrument made that wonderful sound.  Was it a violin, cello, ???  Little did I know it was a keyboard called a mellotron.  After purchasing ITCOTCK, I immediately went to my local record retailer and checked out their other releases.  I was blown away by the covers of In the wake of Posieden and Lizard and bought these releases.  I was thrilled to find the music to be even better.  Prince Rupert Awakes from Lizard with Jon Anderson guesting on vocals blew me away and I had to go get all the Yes albums.  Well the rest is history.  I became and still am a full blown prog junky, thanks to bands like King Crimson.  Clap

Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 07:43
I bought my last early KC album yesterday "Starless and bible black" now i gona start buy thiere more modern albums i got all stuff up to "Dicepline" what shuld i get next? I was thinking about the live album "Absent Lovers - Live in Montreal, 1984"  since i dont got any live album yet.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 08:38
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

C'mon Micky, lets not be that way!

LTIA Rules!

I love that album.....  does anyone have a problem with Wetton's vocals on that album in particular.  He is not the greatest vocalist ever.. but I didn't think they were bad on it.  I know Raff thinks they are subpar on that one.

I LOVE Wetton's voice!  He's great on Book of Saturday and Exiles, and pretty good on Easy Money.  His best is probably The Night Watch, One More Red Nightmare, or Starless, but he is still excellent throughout LTiA.

I love JOHN WETTON voiceThumbs%20Up, but as i said in previous threads, his voice only got BETTER with age, as the opposite of a lot of rock singers who lost it like...GREG LAKE.  

I remember back then in 1973 when i bought LTIA, i was kind of thrown off by Wetton voice as i didn't find it very refined and kind of harsh at first. But now , he is my favorite singer;
You may or may not like ASIA or his solo works- that' s not the point- but we have to recognized that WETTON  has now a good mighty baritone voice, very clear and very powerful. Starting with LTIA, the quality of his voice improved albaum after album.

Happy recovery, John!

Edited by febus - August 19 2007 at 08:39
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 08:43
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Unlike their contemporaries who sold out to play it safe, Fripp was fully willing to fall flat on his face, but he'd do so while exploring new sonic territory, and in doing so, moved music farther than anyone before or, for that matter, since. Had he been born a few centuries ago, he would have been a circumnavigator.

that's arguable; if you follow the career of Peter Hammill you will see lots of tosses and turns there too, including territory Mr. Fripp never dared to put his foot into. or did Fripp ever write an opera?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 08:49
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Unlike their contemporaries who sold out to play it safe, Fripp was fully willing to fall flat on his face, but he'd do so while exploring new sonic territory, and in doing so, moved music farther than anyone before or, for that matter, since. Had he been born a few centuries ago, he would have been a circumnavigator.

that's arguable; if you follow the career of Peter Hammill you will see lots of tosses and turns there too, including territory Mr. Fripp never dared to put his foot into. or did Fripp ever write an opera?

Is it possible to have a discussion with you where it doesn't come down always to Van der Hammill?? LOL  there is A life beyond GOD Peter; We are talking about KC here

Edited by febus - August 19 2007 at 08:57
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:09
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Is it possible to have a discussion with you where it doesn't come down always to Van der Hammill?? LOL  there is A life beyond GOD Peter; We are talking about KC here

I have a life beyond Peter, and I very much like Fripp too. I just couldn't let an inaccurate statement stand like that. Fripp is indeed very exploring, but you said he was the only one who is, and that's not true.
by the way, Hammill and Fripp are befriended, and Fripp says about Hammill: "hat Jimi Hendrix did for the guitar, Peter Hammil did for the voice".

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:44

[QUOTE=febus][QUOTE=BaldJean] [QUOTE=1800iareyay]
I have a life beyond Peter, and I very much like Fripp too. I just couldn't let an inaccurate statement stand like that. Fripp is indeed very exploring, but you said he was the only one who is, and that's not true.
".

Where did i say Fripp is the ONLY one who is exploring??????I don't  know  where you get your sources!!!!Big%20smile

But we don't want  this thread hijacked  and let's go back to KC, please! 

Edited by febus - August 19 2007 at 09:45
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:50
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

I bought my last early KC album yesterday "Starless and bible black" now i gona start buy thiere more modern albums i got all stuff up to "Dicepline" what shuld i get next? I was thinking about the live album "Absent Lovers - Live in Montreal, 1984"  since i dont got any live album yet.

Have you got THE GREAT DECEIVER boxset yet?? or USA LIVE? If not , consider them especially now that USA Live remasterised has FRACTURE and STARLESS as extras.

About ABSENT LOVERS, it all depends if you are into ''New wave'' 80s Crimson or not
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:50
Fracture = heart of King Crimson and blueprint for all their subsequent good music.

ITCOTCK = amusing distraction from better music. ;)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:55

[QUOTE=BaldJean] [QUOTE=1800iareyay]
".

Where did i say Fripp is the ONLY one who is exploring??????I don't  know  where you get your sources!!!!Big%20smile

I get my source here:
[[QUOTE=1800iareyay]
Unlike their contemporaries who sold out to play it safe, Fripp was fully willing to fall flat on his face, but he'd do so while exploring new sonic territory, and in doing so, moved music farther than anyone before or, for that matter, since.

Here is your quote.

febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 10:04
You should buy a pair of glasses; my nickname is FEbus, not 1800iareayeLOLWink

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 10:06

You should buy a pair of glasses; my nickname is FEbus, not 1800iareayeLOLWink

perhaps it is YOU who should buy glasses; my first statement did not refer to you at all, yet you responded WinkTongue

febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 10:09
 Your quote:have a life beyond Peter, and I very much like Fripp too. I just couldn't let an inaccurate statement stand like that. Fripp is indeed very exploring, but you said he was the only one who is, and that's not true.

That's here, dear!!! can we let go now , please!

Edited by febus - August 19 2007 at 10:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>