Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArc is not in PA??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arc is not in PA??
    Posted: August 20 2007 at 06:25
(as usual excuse for bad english)

This is one of the CHARISMA band, interesting and original enough art-rock project. They had classical 70-prog sound with some touch of folk, but only two-albums' long.

Arc at this 1971
Bell and Arc 1971 (both CHARISMA)

Mick Gallagher (keyboards)
Alan White (drums) - later in Yes
John Turnbull (guit)
Tom Duffy (bass)
Graham Bell (vocals)

I have only first album and it is very good.
Besides, I have a picture of Tony Stratton-Smith where there is a poster with names of VDGG, Audience, Genesis and ARC!

So, absence of it on PA looks like very strange...
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 08:32
It's easy to see why. There isn't much information on them at all. I finally found their MySpace page. It also doesn't look like Alan White was a member. But, he was associated with these guys. They were all involved with a band called Skip Bifferty.
raleks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 08:49
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

I finally found their MySpace page.
Can you explain it? Amm... Where is it? :)

But what about two disks under charisma? It is history anyway. May be there is not enough info, but music... or do you think it is not prog? (If necessary I can send their first album...).
Thanks for answer.

Or my be band not included to the PA, when there is no trustworthy info?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 09:12
My comment was meant to describe why they have been overlooked. It seems this band is largely forgotten. The MySpace page is here. http://www.myspace.com/arcprog71

I'll have to spend some time with the music. If we do decide to add them, we may need you to supply some information.
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 09:19
I seem to remember that after they (Arc / Bell + Arc) split the members (other than Alan White) joined Snafu,Greatest Show on Earth, (Ian Dury and)The Blockheads and Lindisfarne.

Edited by Man Erg - August 20 2007 at 09:22

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 09:56
O.K., I think there is a good case for admission here. So far, my take is Canterbury meets Grateful Dead, meets Grand Funk Railroad. Anyone else want to take a stab?
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 11:21
Graham Bell turned up in a band called Brian Davison's Every Which Way (Davison was in The Nice, whilst Lee Jackson formed the rather average Jackson Heights). AFAIK, that album was on Charisma as well- not a bad album. Every Which Way are here already, of course.

I have a Skip Bifferty anthology; I'll have to see if I have any tracks from these two albums on that.
raleks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 00:20
Hmm, here are so many people who knows Arc...
And it haven't still in PA... Hmm
I think that PA (and I myself use it so) is the place where anybody discovering new prog can find an album of a group and read reviews, opinions of other people... And bio doesn't matter. Details will be, be sure. The main thing - music IMO. He he, and absolutely doesn't matter who was the drummer - Alan White, John Black or Ivan Petrov... or McPetrov :)
If some band has a good prog album it should be here, hasn't it? ;) (o god, my english! or shouldn't it? )

PS
Info about musicians I took from rock-encyclopedy book by Vitaly Menshikov (progressor.net), so it is not my fault, guys :)

PPS
There is no Arc on the GEPR also... :(

Edited by raleks - August 21 2007 at 00:34
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 03:05
Arc is a strange case, they have psyche elements but IMHO they are a rare (but not impossible) case of late proto Prog.

PP is not only a year chosen because an iconic album was released then, Proto Prog is a sub-genre that includes early bands that had all the elements to be prog but still not fully developed, I don't care if it's 1967 or 1971  (lets say 1972 is a limit), but ARC fits there.

It's far more advanced than pure Psyche but still not fully developed as a Prog band,

I believe that if not accepted by Psyche (what i doubt because they have other Prog elements) they should go to Proto Prog despite the year.

Great stuff, deserve to be here, no matter if Alan White is or is not there (But he was).

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 22 2007 at 22:06

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 10:15
Originally posted by raleks raleks wrote:

I think that PA (and I myself use it so) is the place where anybody discovering new prog can find an album of a group and read reviews, opinions of other people... And bio doesn't matter. Details will be, be sure. The main thing - music IMO. He he, and absolutely doesn't matter who was the drummer - Alan White, John Black or Ivan Petrov... or McPetrov :)
If some band has a good prog album it should be here, hasn't it? ;) (o god, my english! or shouldn't it? )

PS
Info about musicians I took from rock-encyclopedy book by Vitaly Menshikov (progressor.net), so it is not my fault, guys :)

PPS

OK, slow down. The point is we need accurate information if they are to be accepted. Also, how is this so many people? You've had four people respond, and so far Ivan was the only one previously familliar with Arc itself. Man Erg and Salmacis knew related bands, and I knew nothing until seeing this thread.

raleks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 00:40

OK, slow down.

Or relax :) May be my (bad) english is cause of some sharpness in my post...

Also, how is this so many people?..Ivan was the only one previously familliar with Arc itself. Man Erg and Salmacis knew related bands, and I knew nothing until seeing this thread.

Hm hm. Many is more than one :) They are Ivan and me :)
Ok. If need I can send some tracks to anybody interested of the subject.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 09:42
The point is that it should be obvious why Arc isn't here. This is a very obscure band. You make it sound like there is some great injustice. We are on the case now, and looking into it.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 09:59
Originally posted by raleks raleks wrote:

PS

PPS

Give these people a little time.

It's not like you just snap your fingers and a band gets added.

It's takes research and work,which is done by a team of people in their spare time.

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 15:44
Ivan sounds reasonable in his approach to proto-prog. I myself heard such bands, which made records way later than ItCotCK, and still sounded more underdeveloped than, say, Giles Giles & Fripp album Tongue. Thanks to bhikkhu, who provided a sample for our team, I'll check Arc (which sounds promising anyway) and give my two cents. btw, Ivan is hardly wrong about progginess of a certain band, so I already give much chance for their addition...
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
raleks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 00:45
Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

Thanks to bhikkhu, who provided a sample for our team

2bhikkhu & Bilek
Could you please tell me where can I find it?

and 2all
How can I provide other samples of Arc (I have their first album)

Edited by raleks - August 23 2007 at 00:47
raleks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 01:06

The point is that it should be obvious why Arc isn't here...You make it sound like there is some great injustice

No no! I understand it very well. Besides, here are many artists I haven't heard before visiting this site, thanks you for letting anybody to know about them! I only want other people to know about Arc, doesn't matter as fast it will be.

2Progtologist
I do not hurry PA to adding this band! Nonono :) Anyway I have Arc album and (it's pity that only first) I happy enough independently of Arc is in PA or not ;)

Edited by raleks - August 23 2007 at 01:09
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 03:48
From what I read, the only album under just the name Arc was "...At This." Then Graham Bell joined, and it was called "Bell and Arc."
raleks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 05:06
I know following:
Musicians were the same for both albums (drummers is separate question :) ) But after first album Bell started to pretend to be a leader and he demands to name next album by his name. As compromiss next album was named "Bell and Arc". But after this from discordances with Gallagher and band and departure White to Yes the career of the band was ended. (from rock-encycl. of V. Menshikov)
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 09:44
Take a look at this page http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Diner/2674/turnbull_john_a.htm. The more permanent drummer was Rob Tait. Alan White appeared as a guest on the "Bell & Arc" album, joined as the permanent drummer for the American tour, and then left the band.

As far as where they should go, I am still a bit up in the air. Psych/Space could work, but Heavy Prog might also be a good fit. I think they have just enough going on to be in a full prog genre. It is close, so I really wouldn't be that disappointed to see them in Proto.

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 15:27

As far as where they should go, I am still a bit up in the air. Psych/Space could work, but Heavy Prog might also be a good fit. I think they have just enough going on to be in a full prog genre. It is close, so I really wouldn't be that disappointed to see them in Proto.
indeed... if only we could have gotten that genre admitted by admins! (a friend who's also on my side with this "heavy prog" thing is optimistic, though...)
after listening to their first, I sensed enough merits to get them included in psych... (as quite rightly said above, heavy prog is a better option, though!) I need to give an ear to their second as well, and, of course, they must be approved by other members of my beloved team Wink... (as far as I know them, both Eetu and Chamberry won't be thinking much different than me...)

Voting for "proto" is a little tricky, because both proto & related votings are done through the same channel!!! I don't want to frustrate you by sending them to related by mistake! (as I said, let me hear the 2nd album for a better opinion first!!!!)

btw, bhikkhu, track 5 (Hello Hello Monday) of the album you sent me seems to cut at 5:52, as to the music it seems to have continued at least another couple of seconds... if that's a mistake, is it possible you fix that? (well, I already asked Alexei to help me, who already has the album!)
edit: and that track is certainly the best in the entire album!!! 

Edited by Bilek - August 24 2007 at 15:29
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>