Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat Languages Can You Speak?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: What languages do you know, fluently or not?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
72 [4.60%]
27 [1.72%]
26 [1.66%]
17 [1.09%]
6 [0.38%]
580 [37.04%]
1 [0.06%]
9 [0.57%]
1 [0.06%]
2 [0.13%]
5 [0.32%]
6 [0.38%]
13 [0.83%]
784 [50.06%]
17 [1.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 14:13
SmileEnglish, plus a petite bit of Francais, eine kleine Deutsch, and a few words of Finnish.

I also speak some Gartenese, when properly primed with beer & beans -- parp! Embarrassed
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
fungusucantkill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:17
I can speak Portuguese, Spanish, and English

woo!
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:22
Fluent in English
Pretty darn close in French (good enough that I can teach English Language Arts in French......with aid of a dictionary Embarrassed)
I read and write Latin but since there really is no use in speaking it, I didn't bother learning that.
I get by in Italian because I can read and I can curse (very vividly might I add Wink)
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:32
I always write to my CV, that I speak Finnish, of course, as mothertongue, English, German and Swedish fluently, some French, a bit of Spanish. Then again, I'm taking Spanish and Japanese (+German and French) lessons at the moment in the uni, so they'll grow bigger. Yay.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:46

Of course Dutch, at school I have learned German, French, Latin (one year) and Spanish (two years), because my wife was born on Aruba I have learned some Papiamentu (native language on Aruba and the Dutch Antilles, it's a blend of Spanish, Portuguese, English and Dutch) and I speak some RPI Italian Wink Because my best friend is half-Portuguese I am busy to learn some Portuguese but it's more difficult than Spanish although it's a bit similar, the same way Italian looks a little bit like Spanish.

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 22 2007 at 18:52
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:50
My mother tongue is Spanish, but I can speak English very fluently (although its been years since I had a conversation in English).

I also know a little French. I had a year and a half taking French in high school,  but I forgot most of the things I've learned so I'm starting all over again by myself. So far so good. Thumbs%20Up

MrHiccup View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:03
Let's see...

-Spanish (my mothertongue)
-English (quite fluently)

-French (actually, I don't speak it, but I can understand it quite well if I have a dictionary or a translation software like Babelfish, since it's similar to English and Spanish in some aspects)
-Italian (with this one I use the same technique as with French, but it's easier, since it has a lot in common with Spanish) Tongue
-Portuguese (this one is even easier to understand for me than Italian)

-Slovenian (only a few words, since my grandparents spoke it)

And I've tried learning a little Japanese by myself, too. Not easy.LOL

I dont like to use Babelfish to translate sentences, since it's not thrustworthy. I only use it to translate single words, and then I use my brain to translate the whole sentence. It's slower, but it's a safer method.Wink
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:08
Well...

Russian -- as a native language.

Hebrew -- pretty fluent.

English -- ... as you can see. The writing and understanding of the written text is better than speaking and understanding of the spoken English. I didn't have too much troubles when being abroad (both in England and in the continental Europe) though...

French -- I took classes on French and was able to understand written text pretty well some years ago. I still can understand it, more or less, with lesser degree of success, though. Speaking and understanding are much more difficult...

Being a native speaker of Russian I can understand many words and even phrases in Ukrainian and Byelorussian (as they are the closest to Russian), and a lesser amount of words in other Slavic languages (mostly Czech and Polish), preferably when they are written...

Plus many words from some other languages (with no relations to the fact whether I have or have not been to the respective countries)...

Eugene

PS -- like some posters above already said, I try to catch / to learn at least some words when I am in a different country.

Edited by Fassbinder - August 22 2007 at 19:13
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:25
Logically, Spanish, as it's my mother tongue. Also, English fluently (I'm learning english since I have 6!).

And since I entered in highschool (13), I learned French (so far so good, but I cannot speak it fluently) and, which I like very much, Latin (since it's very hard to speak it -and a very few people in the world are capable of that-, I know very much the idiom and how to understand it, very deeply).

Multiple votes should be enabled for this thread.
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:41
^ I'm pretty sure they are enabled. Smile

As for people who know many different languages, which ones are the easiest/hardest to learn?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:58
I struggle in English and that's about it really.

Five years of French lessons at school and I still stutter and mumble incoherently when ordering a beer in France and end up pointing and nodding with a stupid grin on my face. There really is something dreadfully wrong with the English education system with its complete inability to produce children who can speak a second language inspite of years of forced lessons. This is as true today as it was 30 years ago - we spend so much time learning to congugate verbs and what that past-participle plu-freeking-perfect tense is that any desire to actually HAVE A CONVERSATION is completly disregarded (I neither know nor care what the pluperfect tense is in English - let alone French, yet I can speak and write English like a flipping native and have been able to since I was very small). I wanted to learn German but was not allowed to because I was so bad at French - where is the Censoreding logic in that? There is nothing remotely similar in the two languages and surely it is easier to teach a language to someone who actually wanted to learn it than force them to endure a language they have no affinity with?

Sorry, I rant (you rant, he rants, we rant, youse rants, they rant - rantingly simple really). Yep, I'm embarrassed to be English Embarrassed - but, like Jim and others, I do try and pick up odd words and phrases in whatever country I'm in.

Still in three days time I'm off to sunny Brittany where I can practice some more of my incoherent mumbling, pointing, nodding and inane grinning. And if the 5 Euro note in my hand does get me a beer then the International language of hard cash is dead.

I am fairly well versed in BASIC, C, Pascal and Coral-66 but I can't speak them.

Oh, and I can speak American, I haven't tried Canadian yet because I haven't been there and what little Australian I know I've only picked up from watching Neighbours and Skippy.
What?
Hyperborea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 20:02
English at a push...but then i come from Scotland
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 20:33
Dean: it seems that the problem is omnipresent. The only impression I have from the Soviet system of foreign language teaching is that it was intended as if in purpose not to teach, or to teach anything totally impossible to use...

As for the eaiest and hardest languages to learn -- it was Hebrew for me, in both directions. This language is very easy to learn to speak, due to its "mathematical" nature -- once you've learnt a template, you've learnt all the similar words in all their conjugations and declensions, and Hebrew is the templatic language.

It was also the hardest at the same time, since it is not easy to learn to read and to write in language which is written from right to left (presuming you're used to read and to write in the opposite direction all of your life), and due to the lack of signs for vowels. However, once you catch the principle, it's only the question of training...
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 23:02
Spanish, english and german... 
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 23:06
Dean, I know exactly what you're talking about. I had 6 years of French and I probably only know enough to get laughed at or slapped. I could only have a conversation if the person i was talking to was kind enough to speak every word ridiculously slowly so I could digest it.
jikai55 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 23:22
English, some Mandarin :)

I like cheese and I like metal! --Mikael Åkerfeldt
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 23:26
English is the only language I can fluently speak.  I had three years of German in high school, but I didn't have a good teacher.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 08:19
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

SmileEnglish, plus a petite bit of Francais, eine kleine Deutsch, and a few words of Finnish.

I also speak some Gartenese, when properly primed with beer & beans -- parp! Embarrassed

Well I did teach you how to burp "Bks" - always nice to have a little cultural exchange

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:05
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

^ I'm pretty sure they are enabled. Smile

As for people who know many different languages, which ones are the easiest/hardest to learn?

Multiple votes are not enabled (at least at my PC), so the poll is not very accurate. I chose "other" because my native tongue is not listed, although I am fluent in English.
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:07
I have voted English and other... That must be multiple votes. Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>