Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWHO WAS THE GUILTY OF GENESIS DECADENCE ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 18:24

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I don't think Collins is the main culprit here. Collins was on the verge of quitting too during ATTW3, he was facing a divorce and had moved to Vancouver he a last attempt to save his marriage - see the Vancouver track on the second Archive box. He actually did not have that much to so with that album but Follow You sold mega compared to other albums/singles.

Duke  like ATTW3 is also mainly a Banks album except for the three "Sellers" . I think that Banks called the shots (reason why Hackett not being able to express himself more fully - despite having a lot of tracks on W & W) and he saw that Collins had potential especially after Face Value sold $$$$$. So if we all hate Collins solo stuff, and he is prominent in 80's album, it is because of Banks (Rutherford just being happy to be raking the bucks). I do not think Collins ever took power in Genesis... Look at Tony's album Banks Statements : if that is no proof of selling out.

I tand to agree totally on that - Banks is the main man in Genesis all the time, even after Hackett left and Collins reinforced his leading man role. Banks was increasingly interested in doing techno-related stuff, and Genesis was one of his vehicles to explore that line of work. Meanwhile, Rutherford was leaving behind his prog roots and assimilating a greater taste for AOR (listen to his second solo album).

In comparison, pay a close ear to Peter Gabriel's "So", his most overtly commercial album: it contains lots of interesting ethnic textures in many tracks, as well as distrubing psychedelic ambiences delivered in a stylish manner... besides the singles 'Sledegehammer' and 'Big Time', it was a very good album.

Regards.

Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 21:03
There's no doubt that it has much to do with the changing musical scene: Prog was 'in' during the early 70s, but in the later stages of the decade, the Sex Pistols & the Ramones became the new fashion, and many Prog artists found that they had to adapt in order to survive. Having said that, King Crimson appear to have survived the 80s in extremely good shape while still maintaining some artistic integrity.

Peter Gabriel's solo work allowed him commercial success WITHOUT sacrificing his integrity. In short, his music may be mainstream focused, but then again, so was Dark Side of the Moon.
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Possessed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 21:49
Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

The guilty men are Collins,Rutherford and Banks who chose to turn their backs on proper prog music for selling their souls for pop's money with that preposterous little clown Collins the main culprit

exactly

Edited by Possessed
Geee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 07:59
In my opinion, after all the great early Genesis prog albums, they had already reached their prog best and could not improve further, unless they were gods.  They decided to take a different approach and style (obviously not prog anymore) which are still good, even if for me the great prog albums produced by early Genesis are a thousand miles infront (in quality and musicality).  They manged to reach out to pop lovers as well, which is no sin - just different.
ita_prog_fan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2005 at 07:41

The unstoppable flowing of time, nothing else !

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2005 at 08:09
Originally posted by ita_prog_fan ita_prog_fan wrote:

The unstoppable flowing of time, nothing else !

Though I hate too agree with you, cause of your opinion in your review of Tales from topografic oceans (my opinion about that master-piece is exactly the oposite and I'm in the same age as you) I simply have to agree with you in this case to 100%. Cheers

VLADO View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2005 at 08:12

I see no decadence at all, if they had stopped after whatever before Abacab, because someone of them died from drugs or alcohol, they would have been cults and legends today and no one would have talked of decadence. But they had not, they did some very nice pop songs later, and everybody is talking of decadence immediately. I do not understand it. it is inside out. howgh.

ps. collins is very fine musician

...and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make...
the dragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 11:13
I agree with itaprogfan. Time is a bad beast.
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 11:45

Arcer and Sweetnighter both made great points.

I'm GLAD they turned pop!

Crappy '80s Genesis is better than no Genesis at all, and that's what would have happened if they stayed prog, they wouldnt of lived past '79.  And the made some good pop-prog in the '80s as well.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 12:12
Quote I'm GLAD they turned pop!

Crappy '80s Genesis is better than no Genesis at all, and that's what would have happened if they stayed prog, they wouldnt of lived past '79.  And the made some good pop-prog in the '80s as well.

I Can't afgree with you NesNJFan, for prog' fans of Genesis this was terrible, and this fans are the ones who kept the band alive when they started, those are the fans that loved them when the rest of the world hated Genesis.

I thoink the fans always deserve somerespect, Ok, Genesis had the right to sell themselves (The remaining two originals and one hired member), but at least they should have changed the name of the band.

Iván

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 12:27

I think the guilty of that poor and sad genesis was phil collins , yes, i agree that genesis was one of the best pop rock bands of the eighties, but the pop rock is awful, and genesis with gabriel and hackett was one of the best bands of the progressive music, when they left the band, collins take the command of the band, and prepare poor music, he wants money and fame, including their videos, we can see his face full of wish of attention, and their music become poor and very sad...

NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 15:49
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Quote I'm GLAD they turned pop!

I Can't afgree with you NesNJFan, for prog' fans of Genesis this was terrible, and this fans are the ones who kept the band alive when they started, those are the fans that loved them when the rest of the world hated Genesis.

I thoink the fans always deserve somerespect, Ok, Genesis had the right to sell themselves (The remaining two originals and one hired member), but at least they should have changed the name of the band.

Iván

I may have a different perspective since I am only 17 and was not there, however, I guiltily admit I do enjoy some fo their '80s work.  A pale comparison to their 1970-1980 work of course, but oh well. 

Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 21:31
I think people tend to forget that Genesis was NOT the only prog band that changed musical directions near the end of the 70's or early '80's. Come on, how many classic prog bands (besides Pink Floyd maybe) were making that kind of music anymore? Not many...

Lay off em...it was a different era, and neo-prog had not even come to be invented yet.
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 22:42
I certainly do not claim to be an expert on this matter, but I was curious as to the reasons for the change in sound myself several years ago. What I discovered reading through interviews and magazine articles and the band's own official website has made me rethink the idea of blaming Phil alone. According to what I learned, it was a GROUP decision to change style with the times. From what I remember, it was TONY who pushed the idea the hardest and Phil who resisted the most! Phil had stated that he did pop songs on his solo albums and didn't want to do the same thing with Genesis. Phil in fact was responsible for keeping in some the early classics like Fountain Of Salmacis in the setlist, where the others wanted to drop them and play only things that Phil had sung lead vocal on. As Phil said in an interview on their website, "just try to get Tony Banks to do something he doesn't want to do, its impossible!" The times were changing, and Genesis changed with them. If you notice, most bands that have lasted decades together have changed with the times. The ones who didn't were left in the dust. Making music was their livelihood, and they didn't want it to end! After all, do the Rolling Stones sound the same as they did in 1972? Does Bob Dylan? No, of course not. You can't please everybody all the time. For every fan who was upset by the change, there was another two that were thankful! I'm not saying I prefer the eighties material (I don't), but I respect the band's decision to keep working in an environment that was becoming increasingly unfriendly to prog. If you want to blame someone, blame the public, who didn't buy enough records by prog acts to keep it a viable genre for most record companies. ~IMHO~
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 23:00

Ben 2112 wrote:

Quote I think people tend to forget that Genesis was NOT the only prog band that changed musical directions near the end of the 70's or early '80's. Come on, how many classic prog bands (besides Pink Floyd maybe) were making that kind of music anymore? Not many...

Many changed is true, but no one so dramaticly as Genesis, Yes for example had decent tracks even in 90125 or Onion and Yes returned to Prog', something Genesis never did.

BTW, Jethro Tull and King Crimson changed also, Jethro was bit softer after The Brodsword and the Beast (1982) but kept their original sound and style, ELP did a couple of less inventive albums but still prog,  and King Crimson became more experimental than before.

So from the big 6 (Genesis, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd), the only one that really abandoned prog' was Genesis.

Iván

Jools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 08:04

I hate this argument.  There has always been somebody trying to pinpoint the "moment" that Genesis became more commercial.  For some its Trick Of the Tail but I'm sorry in 1975/6 I don't remember the charts being littered with songs like Robbery Assault and Battery or Mad man Moon.  It's only with hindsight that Phil Collins became incredibly successful as a solo artist that people want to say that Trick was the "start" as he took over lead vocal, or is it the title track?  If thats the case then you can date the supposed decline back to the Lamb (Counting Out Time) or Selling (More Fool Me/I Know What I Like) etc. etc.

I don't think their albums became blatently commercial until Abacab and thats a bloody wierd album.

I loved all eras and beleive that the "spirit" was always the same throughout.  The only change was style not content.

Ridicule is the burden of genius.
luc4fun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:12

I also agree on the fact, Genesis during eighties were not so bad.Different story were after 1990 until they disappeared....

I can really enjoy listening to albums such as Abacab or Duke..

I am not sure even if Peter Gabriel stayed with the group those years, they could have maintained the same levels they were during the seventies...

Site Admin at www.progrockwall.com
the first social network for Proggers!
Gianthogweed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 06:35

The media is to blame.  They (and Phil Collins) got way too much exposure.  Even to this day, you can't go a day without hearing a Genesis/Phil Collins tune in the waiting room of some doctor's office or any other public place.  You hear him on the radio more than The Beatles for God's sake.  He's everywhere, whether you want it or not.  Peter Gabriel had significant mainstream success, but it's always a pleasant surprise to hear him on the radio or see him on tv.  He has a familiar and pleasant voice that we've grown to love, but haven't been burned out on.  Also his music is always interesting, there's always a lot emotion to it.

I think the general public is burned out on Phil Collins.  He has a familiar and pleasant voice too, but now when we hear him, it's no longer a pleasant surprise, it's "not him again."  It doesn't help that his music tends to be bland and boring.

I find it interesting that it's impossible to find a fan of Genesis nowadays who does not like the early stuff.  Back in the 80's the world was full of Genesis fans who preferred the pop to the prog stuff.  Why don't they exist anymore?  Well, they're the ones that hate Genesis now, or have become indifferent to it.  On the other hand, fans that were alienated in the eighties have actually stuck with them.  It tells you something about prog fans vs. pop fans.

Edited by Gianthogweed
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 08:03
Oh, for crying out loud!
AGAIN???

or maybe...STILL?

A flower?

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 08:04
Originally posted by BiGi BiGi wrote:

Oh, for crying out loud!
AGAIN???

or maybe...STILL?

Yes,this subject was discussed so many times.I remember myself answering or discussing or bringing up this subject about seven times.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>