Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Art Rock, Crossover (???): PATCH from Australia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArt Rock, Crossover (???): PATCH from Australia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Art Rock, Crossover (???): PATCH from Australia
    Posted: August 30 2007 at 13:44
Hi Band Submission team,

PATCH, a suggested band for PA, complete with bio, etc. (If the submission is successful I will add the album ... and I am still working on finding a band picture of some sort.)

mp3 files are on their way via YouSendIt

PATCH

Genre: Art Rock, Crossover

Photo: none

Biography – written by T.Rox (Coops)

PATCH is a studio-assembled ensemble of musicians from diverse fields – rock, prog/psych rock, jazz, folk and classical – put together by renowned Australian (New Zealand born) producer Peter Dawkins for a ‘one-off’ project, the instrumental concept album “The Star Suite”.

Dawkins (who is not credited as a musician on the PATCH project) enlisted as key collaborators, and co-composers of the work, guitarist Mike Rudd (SPECTRUM and ARIEL) and folk singer/guitarist Mike McClellan. And rounding out the line-up credited as PATCH are notable session musicians in Doug Gallacher on drums, Tony Esterman on keyboards and Rod Coe on bass.

Support musicians for the project included prodigious guitarist Tim Gaze (TAMAM SHUD, KAHVAS JUTE and ARIEL), long-time Rudd associate Bill Putt (SPECTRUM and ARIEL) on bass, along with Sydney Symphony Orchestra cellist Nathan Waks firing up the electric cello, and rock ’n’ roll journeyman Mike Perjanik behind the ARP synthesizer. Other artists are Tony Ansell on organ, percussionist Ian Bloxham, Doug Fosket on saxophone, and jazz outfit THE BENNELONG TRIO (Peter Draper, guitar; Brian Strong, cello; Nick Negerovich, flute).

The sole reason for the formation of PATCH was the 1973 album “The Star Suite”, an interpretation of astrological themes of the four elements of the Zodiac – Air, Fire, Water and Earth – and how the signs of the Zodiac interact with these most basic of elements. “The Star Suite” consists of four lengthy tracks, one for each of the elements; the track for each of the elements is further divided into three parts: the interactions with one of each of the cardinal signs, the fixed signs and the mutable signs of the Zodiac. The music is at times ethereal & spacey, while at other times there are elements of fusion, psychedelic rock and symphonic rock … an eclectic mix of musical styles from a band with members from many musical spheres.

“The Star Suite” is an excellent concept album, with PATCH being a recommended “studio band” that showcases some of the luminaries of the early 70’s Australian progressive rock scene. The challenge to prog heads is finding a copy of this rare offering.

Discography

The Star Suite – 1973 – Harvest (EMI) SHVL.612

Why This Band Needs To Be In ProgArchives

A little known progressive outfit from Australia formed simply to create its legacy in the form of a single concept album. (PATCH also gets a mention in Ronald Couture’s “Essential Mini-Guide to Progressive Rock”.)

...and I will leave it to you good people on the PA team to deliberate!

Cheers,

T.Rox Thumbs%20Up 

Edited by T.Rox - September 07 2007 at 18:43
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 15:55
Darn Coops....I was hoping you were going to suggest another good Prog Metal band.Cry

Wink

I do think it is very cool that you are trying to promote some good prog from your country(from different genres too).Australia is sort of overlooked in the Prog Scene,which is a shame because some great bands come from there.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 16:08
The Symphonic Team is now looking into it.
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 18:50
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Darn Coops....I was hoping you were going to suggest another good Prog Metal band.Cry

Wink

I do think it is very cool that you are trying to promote some good prog from your country(from different genres too).Australia is sort of overlooked in the Prog Scene,which is a shame because some great bands come from there.

I'm working on getting a few more Aussie bands onto PA, though most that I am aware of that are not on PA would likely fit the Heavy Prog category. Kind of a heavy psych, blues tinged sort of sound.

Jody, If I stumble across some more Prog Metal I will let you know! Thumbs%20Up

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 20:29
Yikes, it's hard to find any information about them at all, not even in Australian pages, GEPR has only listed the name exactly as Proggnosis.

There's no website and the producer's page (Dawkins) only talks about an album called "For Pete's Sake" with no Prog relation.

Peter Dawkins info is mostly referred to his participatuion in an Air Supply album as producer.

The only info I got is the album cover:

Maybe those samples will help

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 30 2007 at 20:44

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 22:32
Wikipedia has some information about Dawkins. Apparently he has Parkinson's and is no longer active in music. Looks like the album was reissued on some Japanese label;

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://nostalgie.cdandlp.com/listing/1/39576-0-0/P_1/progg.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpatch%2B%2522The%2BStar%2BSuite%2522%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 03:03
Heard all the album but waiting for the rest of the Symphonic team to give a  complete
information about our decision, because don't want to influence anybody.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 31 2007 at 03:10

T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 06:59
I have the cover picture ... I was just going to add the album details when / if Patch gets added Big%20smile

I will continue to work on getting a photo ... possibly a montage of Dawkins, Rudd & McClellan if I can find nothing else.

Iván, does the Symph team have a voting page like the Ratings Freak set up the Prog Metal team has Question

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 12:58
Originally posted by T.Rox T.Rox wrote:

Iván, does the Symph team have a voting page like the Ratings Freak set up the Prog Metal team has Question

No T-Rox, we decide on our own, that's what we were chosen for.

But please, if HT agrees with Bob and me, the addition won't go to Symphonic, Bob and I have voted no already.

There's only one barely Symphonic track and that's Fire, even when very watered and with touches of Psyche.

The rest is diluuted Electronica meets early New Age, the fuson sections sound like Chuck Mangione meets Herb Albert, so most likely the vote of the team willl not support the inclusion.

If HT votes Yes, we will have to listen a fourth opinion, but knowing my team i don't believe, but even in that case won't reach the 3 votes required for their addition.

Bob is between Prog Related and Crossover, I would go with Prog Related.

That they should be in Prog Archives, we both agree, but not in Symphonic, lets wait for HT's vote anyway.

Iván

andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 13:05
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

No T-Rox, we decide on our own, that's what we were chosen for.

The Prog-Metal charts are only a public list where team members put on their votes, Ivan. Everybody else can only watch. LOL You should check it out, it's an excellent idea, the Symph team could implement it, too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 14:11
Yes I understand Andu, I'm familiar with them, but we have a different system that has worked until now with less than 1% of problems (Really all our decisions were supported by the Collaborators team exceopt one case and by the person who proposed it).

When we have any doubt we start a thread in the Collaborators section (In the open forum could take forever)  and wait a couple of weeks, even in the case I mention in the first parragraph we were supported by the vast majority.

If a member of the team disagrees with our opinion, he always adds a post expressing his disagreement so we keep people informed, but this system has worked to assign and/or reasign more than 600 bands, so we are staying with it.

If it works, we don't want to take the chance of ruining something that is perfect for us until today.

Thanks anyway.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 31 2007 at 14:12

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 19:44
Okay, here's my take.
"Air" is ambient meets New Age.
"Fire" is Symphonic Progressive rock.
"Water" starts out as Jazz Fusion, and ends up Psych/Space
"Earth" Is New Age, then goes a bit Psych, then Jam Band, then Jam Band/Jazz Fusion.

It's all prog to me. I think related would be a mistake. But I think it should be Eclectic, or Crossover.
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 19:51

I trust your opinions more than my own as I don't feel as confident of the Symph side of this. I was thinking the old Art Rock myself initially, and suppose I was persuaded to make an leaning to Symph on the basis of the reference in "The Essential Mini-Guide".

To my mind the work is clearly progressive and belongs in PA, but I also believe it is more than Prog Related.

T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 19:53
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Okay, here's my take.
"Air" is ambient meets New Age.
"Fire" is Symphonic Progressive rock.
"Water" starts out as Jazz Fusion, and ends up Psych/Space
"Earth" Is New Age, then goes a bit Psych, then Jam Band, then Jam Band/Jazz Fusion.

It's all prog to me. I think related would be a mistake. But I think it should be Eclectic, or Crossover.

Eclectic would do it for me! Wink ...I have updated the thread title and bio along that line, too. Do you fine gentlemen pass the submission on to "Art Rock" team?

Edited by T.Rox - August 31 2007 at 20:02

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 20:48

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Okay, here's my take. "Air" is ambient meets New Age. "Fire" is Symphonic Progressive rock. "Water" starts out as Jazz Fusion, and ends up Psych/Space "Earth" Is New Age, then goes a bit Psych, then Jam Band, then Jam Band/Jazz Fusion. It's all prog to me. I think related would be a mistake. But I think it should be Eclectic, or Crossover.

Eclectic would do it for me!  ...I have updated the thread title and bio along that line, too. Do you fine gentlemen pass the submission on to "Art Rock" team?

Works for me T.R., for whatever that's worth.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 21:11

Yep, I have to agree with HT and Bob, after a few more listens it sounds  Prog, so one Art Rock sub-sub-genre will do it.

But I would go with Crossover, because Patch has a lot of mainstream elements like New Age, some Pop and Jam Jazz, so I would go with Crossover.

Eclectic is for more complex bands like King Crimson, Gentle Giant or VDGG and patch is not near the level opf complexity.

But that they are Prog, they are Prog.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 31 2007 at 21:12

T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 18:45

Just for the record: An answer to a query about Patch that surfaced in another thread...

Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

PS I listened to 'Patch' and was a little disapointed. BTW in which genre would you fit the band?

You can't like everything you hear! Big%20smile

I think "The Star Suite" album is an eclectic mix of styles from a diverse colloection of musicians. The old Art Rock would have been spot on ... Iván and, to a lesser degree, Bhikkhu suggest Crossover rather than Eclectic ... so Crossover it should be I guess. However you look at it though, this work is more than prog-related.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 23:10
T.Rox... pm me any samples or links to samples  and I'll listen to them.... if they fit crossover...I'll add them.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 19:03
will be submitting to the AR team for evaluation....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 02:21
Please don't argue... I know we're all under severe stress, but PA should help us to feel a bit better, don't you think so?SmileHug

Anyway, I just finished listening to the album, and I agree with Ivan and the others - it is not Symphonic but in a few parts, and a good deal of it sounds very much ambient/New Age to me. Probably Crossover is the best place to put them. Let's see what the other ARers have to say about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>