Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Art Rock, Crossover (???): PATCH from Australia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArt Rock, Crossover (???): PATCH from Australia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 02:24

Before i forget, we are one of the few teams that cleans all the supposedly Symphonic bands two  times a year.

The last cleaning up of all the bands catalogued as Symphonic by the Master List was on May 19

Hello, as I promised to Tony R, the Symphonic Team had an addition rally, have searched in the master list (Including Proposed and disputed artists) and this is what we got:

As expected we required a couple of weeks  to research, being that some of them are prehistoric and/or totally obscure, so info wasn’t be easily available and samples much less

1. Jean Pierre Alarcen (France): Hard job to search, all the info about this guy is in French but somehow I managed with my rusty French and some info in English plus sanmples……Jean Pierre is a French guitar player who made his proggiest work with Sandrose, hios solo career is formed by three albums:

His eponymous album that is PURE JAZZ with some influences of Mc’Laughlin and Santana but not Prog

Tableau N° 1 (1978): It’s a Neo Classical suite of 75 minutes with some Neo Prog and Symph moments but not preeminent, again don’t mistake Neo Classical with Symphonic.

Tableau N° 2 (1998): A pure Rock meets Neo Classical, not Prog at all, sounds like Mahler or Debussy played at Rock style with metalish guitar.

Not Symphonic, maybe Neo Prog, maybe Jazz Fusion or  Prog Related.

1. Clouds (UK/Scotland): Last year we added 24 bands and we sent a bio about Clouds…..NOT SYMPHONIC AT ALL; it’s a Psyche/Proto Prog band from 1966 to 1971. Except for The Nice, don’t expect to find Symphonic releases in 1968 (Scrapbook), 1969 (Up Above Our Heads) and the only one that could fit chronologically (Watercolor  Days in 1971) has no relation with Symphonic

Recommend to be checked by Psyche, they used to tour with Jethro Tull, so they are pretty easy to find.

1. Cem Karaca: Another hard task, the guy is from Turkey, except for Allmusic (Not reliable at all) all the info is in Turkish and his lyrics are mostly in Ancient Anatolian. Cem Karaca was a prolific and polemic musician/Marxist politician who had an amazing live, even accused of treason because of his ideas and later received a pardon. For the samples I could find everywhere and the information available, he played some sort of Pop/Proggish ethnic music, not adequate for Symphonic at all, even made some Rap…In Anatolian!!!!The Orchestral tracks are the less Prog (A paradox) sound like French Chanson in some weird language  but very mainstream

I don’t dare to recommend him to Prog Folk, too mainstream IMHO, should be checked for Prog Related……According to Bob could be Avant Rio mostly for the lyrics BUT NO WAY SYMPHONIC…..Please provide us some info when receiving this obscure and rare artists, some samples can be found at: http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=MU939609CV849 or in his Allmusic entry.

1. Lake: Prog Related at best. Suggest striking them from the list, and let it be forgotten.WE CHECKED THEM LAST YEAR (WITH RAFF, MICKY AND FRAGILE DT AND REJECTED THEM, WE RECOMMENDED TO BE REMOVED, AND A NEW TEAM HAS THE SAME OPINION.

1. Mandragora (UK): If this is the band, because the Master List doesn’t specify, it’s a great omission, 100% PROGRESSIVE but must be checked by PSYCHE TEAM, it’s one o the best Neo Psychedelia bands I ever heard

1. Mandragora (Argentina): If this is the band, it also must be checked by NEO PROG because their Guitar player formed Chaneton, it’s similar but with an addition of World Music. Again please…..GIVE US SOME INFORMATION; A BAND NAME IS NOT ENOUGH. For God’s sake none of the two Mandragoras is Symphonic!!!

1. Blackfeather: Kind of heavy '70s rock, with some symphonic style. But the psych/space component overwhelms it all. See if Eetu wants them.

1. Dawn Dialogue (Russian Symph, will be added) We have a winner! Clearly symphonic, and in the Neo era. No question. Neat story too. This was recorded secretly in a hotel room, in two sessions, in 1982 and 1984. These were true Russian rebels.

1. Helmerson, Anders: Keyboards, synths, and more keyboards. It's like Wakeman meets Kraftwerk. Yes, it is symphonic, will be added as soon as Bob and James give their OK.

1. Help Yourself: British West Coast oriented band, hard to classify, they are Prog, no doubts but closer to a mix of British Folk and Country Music….no way they are Symphonic, Should be checked by Folk Team but beware with the strong Psyche sound: http://www.terrascope.org/helps.html

1. Nell James (USA): I thought at last I had found a Symphonic artist, this 17 years old girl (When she released Tempus, now she’s 18) from Long Island sure has Yes influences, but has a clear Pastoral Folk structure, great stuff Should be checked by Sean Trane, I believe he’s a worth addition, samples and full material in http://nelljames.com/music.html If not accepted by Prog Folk, We recommend her to Prog Related

12.  Sheshet: Some of the information says this is prog folk, but I'm not so sure. It actually get's pretty jazzy at times, and there is also some GG influence. Not enough Jazz for fusion though. There could be a case made for Art, but I think they could also work with us. Lot's of piano, and chamber-like sections. Think of Renaissance with more jazz.

To be checked by ART ROCK and Fusion, but deserves to be here

Guys, please, don't look at this thread and omit it, we have done a research that must be used, we are recommending some bands to some sub-genres and this is already verified, lets use what we found.

Tony R: We kept our word with you.

Bob, HT, James, Iván

As you see, we not only added all the Symphonic bands from tthe list, but also took the time to check and wtite guidelines for the other non Symphonic bands because we don't believe helping other teams is a problem..

BTW: All the Symph bands from that list were already added.

Iván

Thanks for your efforts Raff. Clap

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 14 2007 at 02:30

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 22:51

C'mon people, here's a place for enjoyment and fun... I know that we all, as prog-heads, have strong personalities, but let's leave the daily stuff outside the door and share our beloved music and dream a little bit.Ying%20Yang

What's the point of bringing to this site the our stress of everyday? It's like the cops selling guns to the wrongdoers, isn't it? Tongue

Guigo

~~~~~~
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 18:03
hahhaha.. since Ivan and I are finished hijacking this thread I see..

an update... Patch is being evaluated for crossover.. and we only need one more vote then we decide on it.  I'll update here.... unless the thread is deleted or closed LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 19:58
Got that last vote and I am pleased to say that Patch has been accepted in the Crossover Prog family.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 20:10
Thumbs%20Up

Cheers, Micky. If you let me know when it is done and I will add the album details.

"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 20:22
Originally posted by T.Rox T.Rox wrote:

Thumbs%20Up

Cheers, Micky. If you let me know when it is done and I will add the album details.

I'll have them added this evening.... heading off for some dinner first.

thanks for the patience....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 21:47

Thumbs%20Up

added....  and ready for you to add the album.

Let me know if you find a picture of the group...did a  quick google search and didn't come up with anything.

T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 22:25
Album added! Thanks, Micky.

I will most likely have to concoct a picture ... I will aim for the three main guys: Dawkins, Rudd & McClellan

Thanks to everyone for their efforts in getting Patch 'patched' into PA (poor pun intended ... how droll is that?) Big%20smile

Edited by T.Rox - September 15 2007 at 22:25
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 09:36

Album added! Thanks, Micky.

I will most likely have to concoct a picture ... I will aim for the three main guys: Dawkins, Rudd & McClellan

Thanks to everyone for their efforts in getting Patch 'patched' into PA (poor pun intended ... how droll is that?) Big%20smile

hahahha... I like you... you make me look funny hahahha.  Thanks for adding the album...  now you get the honor of first review.  Let me know when you do... I'd like to read it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12