Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan you play the drums like Dennis can?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Can you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [27.78%]
13 [72.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you play the drums like Dennis can?
    Posted: August 31 2007 at 10:10
Let me start by saying this: Dennis Chambers is awesome. I'm close to worshiping him.WinkWinkWink.Well, most of us have accepted the fact that he's just one of those drummers who makes you shake your head and admit you can't. I mean crazy stuffs like playing a 9 with one hand,5 with the other while maintaining a 4/4 ostinato with the kick drums.
With more than 10 years of drumming under my belt, I don't think I can do that as well.
How about you?

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 17:04
I have played drums for over 25 years now, and though I respect and like a lot of other drummers I think I pretty much know my way around on a drum kit and have a few tricks up my sleeve too.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 20:11
It's neat stuff, but I don't know if it's worth worshipping somebody for :P. I know some people who are attending university (or already have) for drumming and that kind of thing is a pretty standard exercise. Just find a percussion major somewhere and I'm sure they'll be just as technically proficient as any of your favourite drummers - it gets to a certain point where all that matters is creativity and style.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 01:07
Been playing drums for 35 years ..  15 years in profesional bands (not prog .. not where the money is in my region of the galaxy)  and 10 years teaching jazz .... I`ll never be as good as Dennis Chambers and anybody who says they are as good I`d question ? besides Peart , Bozzio or a small  handful of other greats who clearly lead the way for those who are in the know. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:48
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

Been playing drums for 35 years ..  15 years in profesional bands (not prog .. not where the money is in my region of the galaxy)  and 10 years teaching jazz .... I`ll never be as good as Dennis Chambers and anybody who says they are as good I`d question ? besides Peart , Bozzio or a small  handful of other greats who clearly lead the way for those who are in the know. 

Why should no-one be as good as they? They are not Gods, they are just men and women like we all; anyone can get there with practice, patience and a bit of musical inspiration. As I said, I definitely respect them, but I don't feel I have to hide from them; I am very good myself.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:57
he's an absolute monster, probably the best in jazz-rock today, maybe the world... Mabuhay !!

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 05:52
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

Why should no-one be as good as they? They are not Gods, they are just men and women like we all; anyone can get there with practice, patience and a bit of musical inspiration. As I said, I definitely respect them, but I don't feel I have to hide from them; I am very good myself.
Not saying he is a God, or am I saying you are not as good ,  i am declairing that I struggle playing along with Chambers hes a drummers drummer for people like me to learn new ideas from , theres many gifted Drummers that I could say this about.  Chambers to me though is the best in the Rock/Jazz field that I've heard*.

Listen to some Niacin hes really something special takes it to that next level Tongue

Edited by Yorkie X - September 01 2007 at 06:06
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 06:20
oh brutha... 'Organik' is the sh*t, and his work on the CAB 2 album is pretty tasty too

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 06:28
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 19:16
That's pretty neat stuff Mike. @ David: Haven't heard Orgamik yet, CAB 2 will keep my ears busy for awhile though.

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 09:35
I can barely play drums in 4/4, so no, I can't play like Dennis can. I'm pretty good at bass though.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 17:50
That guy has such a great groove to his playing. No I'm not quite in his league, especially as i haven't played for 5 years!
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 16:49
I could play drums for 50 years and not be as good as Dennis Chambers. As various jazz & funk drummers here in H-Town say, "Dennis is the sh*t!"
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Post Reply Post Reply