Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCitizen Cain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2009 at 16:12
DamoXt7942 -

Good evening, and thanks for saying nice things about ye olde Citizen Cain! :-)

Latest news from the Festival Music website (www.f2music.co.uk/) is that the back catalogue is supposed to be re-released by them next month, and a brand new album appearing in January.

Although given that the old stuff was originally scheduled to be out a few months back, I wouldn't be holding my breath... :-)

But who knows?

Cheers,

Andy

www.youtube.com/andyhgilmour
"The wise man...proportions his belief according to the evidence" (David Hume)
Progbeatz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2009 at 17:30
another excellent band

great to hear about the rereleases...havent been able to find that stuff anywhere legit...
Prog in the projeKcts...
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 00:34
Awesome!  I just discovered citizen cain about a week ago and really liked some of the samples I listened to.  I wanted to get some of their albums, but couldnt find them for sale anywhere, even ebay.  Hopefully Festival Music will follow through with re-releasing them this time, and a new album is great news too!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 11:15
Ahh, yes, always loved this band.  Good to see Andy here!  However, I must unfortunately mention that my favorite of all their albums is Raising The Stones (even if I do wish there was a real drummer on it.......though I guess Stewart played some real drums along with the drum programming).  However, Somewhere But Yesterday is my second favorite Big smile  It is, admittedly, the one that sounds the most like Gabriel Genesis, but I don't think any of the other albums are very similar at all (though it's hard to avoid the vocal resemblance).  And even Somewhere But Yesterday is not really all that much like PG Genesis.  It is far darker, far more wordy, and much more precise and driving than Genesis was.

Anyway, great news about the new album (even if the last one was a bit of a dissapointment compared to Raising The Stones for me) and the other albums being available.

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 12:50
Hi. I am from Iran. I discover C.C 25 days before . I have one album named " Somewhere But Yesterday ". I am PETER GABRIEL fan and i love GENESIS from 1970-1974 in GABRIEL era. when i listen first time to C.C i shocked. I think it's a dream. how? If genesis had a album and i miss that? otherwise this album is pretty good. But i miss festival. In IRAN you have'nt any options. I can't travel for this festival. I cant find another album from this band. I wish the persons who can go to this festival have much fun and enjoy this pure music. good luck.
Andy Gilmour View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2009 at 17:40
Hi, O666, personally find it very rewarding to think Citizen Cain's music has made it as far as Iran...
it's a small group of fans, really, but in very diverse locations! :-)

Sorry for any confusion - the "Festival Music" I mentioned is a record label - www.f2music.co.uk/

They're now supposed to be re-releasing the whole Citizen Cain back catalogue in November (put back *yet another* month), and a brand new album from the current line-up (which was George, Stewart & Phil the guitarist, last time I heard??) in March next year.

Big raspberries to Infandous for preferring RTS... :-))

Cheers to all from Dunfermline, Scotland (birthplace of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull)

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2009 at 10:45
AWESOME NEWS FROM A BAND THAT HAS BEEN SO IMPORTANT FOR THE PRESERVATRION OF PROG ROCK SINCE THE EARLY 90'S...

I HOPE SOMEDAY THIS BAND WILL ACHIEVE ALL THE DESERVED RECOGNITION, NOT JUST A PORTION OF IT.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 07:19
Definitely Cesar.Listening to Somewhere But Yesterday now for the first time in quite awhile and what a superb album it is.Clap

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2009 at 07:28
What an amazing thread!

Welcome to the forum Andy......love Citizen Cain, I'll play them next!Wink
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 16:32
Hi guys,

Thanks again for the kind words.

Still waiting for the Cain re-releases, but then we've got a chunk of November left to go...so while we're waiting...

Hope no-one minds, but I thought I'd update the personal self-promotion details, and chuck in a wee video too...

Anyway, I've got some music for listening and/or downloading at:

http://www.andygilmour.com

includes *free* high-quality download for bouzouki folk-prog "entangled", as per the video...

FaceBook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andy-Gilmour/11044336428

'Mid-Life Bassist' blog:

http://www.andyhgilmour.blogspot.com

Hope that someone likes some of this stuff...

All the best,
Andy

jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2009 at 10:11
I thought this was about the movie... but is nice to see there are fans of this band... don't have a clue when they were famous but I'm interest enough to search for them... cheers...!!
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2009 at 23:50
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

I thought this was about the movie... but is nice to see there are fans of this band... don't have a clue when they were famous but I'm interest enough to search for them... cheers...!!

The movie is spelled "Kane," plus it's in music discussion.  You should check out their album Somewhere but Yesterday, it's really good.

Andy, I've never even heard of that instrument before but it sounds great.

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 00:01
Yay! Another musician is on the site! And may I say, a rather brilliant musician to boot! I had no idea this band existed, but damn, I sure as hell want to look into them now! 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 16:48
thanks guys for the ego-boosting flattery :-)

every little helps these days...

Did a little experiment today - "Firth of Fifth" was the only cover we planned to play (oh yeah, there were *meant* to be live gigs happening, but as usual...), and I was sitting wondering how hard it could be to play the intro on fretless bass (or, indeed, bouzouki)?

ouch.

:-)
kirklott View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2009 at 18:04
I think it's essential that Cain return to a 5-person line up. The two best albums are by far Serpents and Somewhere - the only ones that have a classic 5-person prog line up.

With Cain, as with Genesis, there is a very clear correlation between having a full band - with a dedicated rhythm section - and making great music.
"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2009 at 20:29
I LOVE this band!
I only hope that F2 re-releases the catalog; I am getting nervous as it is now almost Jan 2010.

I remember waiting for my  favorite band,("Clepsydra") ,  who was supposed to release a new album & re-release their older ones. It kept getting bumped (like what is happening now) & then I received the devastating news that it was all off. I only hope it doesn't happen to this fine band!
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 11:47
GOOD NEWS!
Just found  out that they will be released in Feb/March!Big smile
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 14:41

Let me just wish a happy New Year to Andy Gilmour in the Kingdom Of Fife from a citizen of Renfrewshire, the Kingdom of ...ehh........ nevermind.

I think a Citizen Cain fan here should do an online Q & A session with Andy Gilmour for the Interviews page. Just my two pence worth of braincells....... 

CreepyJohn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 11:02
Hi everybody, here's the latest news from citizen cain.

The new album is well underway, however, in the last few weeks we have had a major setback. Our friend, who is very kindly recording this album for us, has recieved some very bad news concerning his health. Unfortunately this means recording will be delayed for several months and/or quite possibly we will have to make plans to record the remaining material elsewhere. We will keep you posted at www.myspace.com/citizencaincitizencain , please feel free to contact us or join the friends list there.

Festival Music plans to re-release the back catalogue 2 or 3 months prior to the new release hence the delay with those too. Mp3 versions of the back catalogue can be arranged for those who cant wait, please contact us through the myspace page. Thank you once again for your continuing support.....

All The Best,
Creepy John

Edited by CreepyJohn - January 11 2010 at 11:31
mike hewetson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 07:40
hi, yeah i really like citizen cane too--much underated me thinx!!  they do have a myspace site so you can get a bit more info there. but otherwise i have trouble getting their music too!  try malcolm parker of cyclops records--they used to distribute their cd"s.  (g.f.t  mail order)
mike hewetson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>