Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIncredibly long reply poll...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: When you get a reaaaally long reply to one of your comments, you:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [71.43%]
2 [5.71%]
3 [8.57%]
5 [14.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Incredibly long reply poll...
    Posted: September 13 2007 at 00:35
I'm truly sorry, but sometimes people writte a script about it and it's just too much for me... I mean no disrespect, but I just can't read so much about so little...
¡Beware of the Bee!

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 00:38
I know what you mean, but this is prog country... we're wordy people LOL

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 00:38
I always believed discussion forums were created for discussion, so, I read everything from start to end, believe it or not, I learn more from the people that disagree with me than with the ones who agree.

Also I believe it's a sign of respect for someone to answer him/her in the best possible way.

Iván

progcabaretdoll View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 01:01
I'll read it.

I'll be totally honoured to be responsed like that.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 01:03
I'll admit it, I tend to skip the "essays" some people seem to put down.  There are only a few people (Ivan being one of them) whose longer responses maintain my attention.  

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 07:23
If you're reading through a thread, it's because you probably care about the subject; if somebody's taken the time to write a long response, I think it's a mark of respect that you should at least read it.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 07:31
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

I'll admit it, I tend to skip the "essays" some people seem to put down.  There are only a few people (Ivan being one of them) whose longer responses maintain my attention.  
I read every last word, if someone’s gone to all that trouble to write such a repost then the least I can do is take the time to read it. I admire people who can write succinct and diminutive answers to posts, I wish I had that ability, I really do, but I don’t, believe me I’ve tried, but every time I would read back the four lonely words I had written and wonder if I someone would misunderstand their meaning, so I have to add another four words to clarify the previous four. Now I have eight words that possible add more confusion than I originally intended, so I need another eight to further explain those. And while I was writing those sixteen words another salient point popped into my head that I really just had to write down and share with you all and before I know it those words have spilt from the keyboard onto the screen. Yet as I read those words that I have just typed I realise that the two points probably weren’t that well connected in the first place so I have to write a bridging sentence to link them together. By now I’ve reached the point where I’m pretty sure that the person whose post I am replying to has given up reading due to the lamentable ten-second attention span that is so predominate in this modern world and I am readily confident that I can slip in a well place insult of that persons intelligence without fear of retribution because I know the poor muppet will never read it. This I can do with confidence because I have been getting away with on various forums for the past ten years without the need for flame-proof underwear and will probably continue to do so. Of course, the final step in producing the reply is to read it back and remove anything that is Yes are overrated rubbish possible contentious that I may have accidentally typed in a fit of piqué while being distracted by a passing crow. The final final stage is to append a suitably inappropriate smiley at the end of the post to ensure that should anyone bother to real every last word of my post they will see that it was written in good humour because, after all, emoticons are so darn cute... Hug
What?
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 07:33
Iván is the king of the long answers.. xD. Not because his replies are that long, but he uses colourful letters and short replies for every paragraph and that makes to the reader to keep his attention while reading.

As Rileydog, I consider Iván one of the few persons who I use to read his replies from the beggining to the end.
The best you can is good enough...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 07:42
Iván posts are great, Thumbs%20Up if sometimes just a little over the top Stern%20Smile, however once gets onto his second or third colour I get a little confused Confused about who said what about what to whom. Thumbs%20Down

Edited by darqdean - September 13 2007 at 07:43
What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 08:48
Yes.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 09:11

I think I sometimes exceed on a reply's natural and succinct way, just like I'm blamed and bantered with my review style. I always try to give a best answer, yet always end up making a long form of that bestly tried answer. LOL

In rest, I think this thread is about Ivan. LOLHug
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 09:36
Always, of course, though I would be dishonest if I said that I always read EVERY long response, not just those that concern me directly.

Anyway, I also admit that some response styles make it considerably harder for me to read. It's not so much a matter of length as of presentation: no paragraphs, for instance, or the dreaded quote pyramids - not to mention the use of too many different colours. I think it's essential to be able to understand who said who, and that way it's not always the case.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 12:14
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

I read every last word, if someone’s gone to all that trouble to write such a repost then the least I can do is take the time to read it. I admire people who can write succinct and diminutive answers to posts, I wish I had that ability, I really do, but I don’t, believe me I’ve tried, but every time I would read back the four lonely words I had written and wonder if I someone would misunderstand their meaning, so I have to add another four words to clarify the previous four. Now I have eight words that possible add more confusion than I originally intended, so I need another eight to further explain those. And while I was writing those sixteen words another salient point popped into my head that I really just had to write down and share with you all and before I know it those words have spilt from the keyboard onto the screen. Yet as I read those words that I have just typed I realise that the two points probably weren’t that well connected in the first place so I have to write a bridging sentence to link them together. By now I’ve reached the point where I’m pretty sure that the person whose post I am replying to has given up reading due to the lamentable ten-second attention span that is so predominate in this modern world and I am readily confident that I can slip in a well place insult of that persons intelligence without fear of retribution because I know the poor muppet will never read it. This I can do with confidence because I have been getting away with on various forums for the past ten years without the need for flame-proof underwear and will probably continue to do so. Of course, the final step in producing the reply is to read it back and remove anything that is Yes are overrated rubbish possible contentious that I may have accidentally typed in a fit of piqué while being distracted by a passing crow. The final final stage is to append a suitably inappropriate smiley at the end of the post to ensure that should anyone bother to real every last word of my post they will see that it was written in good humour because, after all, emoticons are so darn cute... Hug

Overall:

Highlighted sections: plus one great big

Edited by Jim Garten - September 13 2007 at 12:16

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 12:34
I don't think I've ever suffered from this problem...if someone wants to take the time to respond back to whatever I've dared to post, I am grateful!
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 13:59
I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to respond in a more thorough and thoughtful manner.  I'd rather that than curt ones.

I'm interested in the exploration of ideas and how people think.  One problem can be that when someone does respond in a more expansive manner, I feel obligated to respond in kind, but don't always have sufficient time (and by the time I can the discussion has moved on).

There are multiple approaches to take when responding/ many different ways to see things. I know that I'm sometimes guilty of trying to approach it from too many angles. and with too many digressions.

As long as a person is making some attempt to be considerate with his or her response, I don't mind the length.  If someone is responding at great length  to assert dominance, then I don't like it.  If it shows genuine interest in what the other person is saying, and wants to explore that in discussion (and is not an ego trip) then wonderful.  I don't like "superior sounding"/ patronizing posts no matter what length (I know I come across that way sometimes).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 14:00
I'm very interested in reading long replies...being a long-replier myself...(something that, you'll notice here, i'm trying to change)..Tongue
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 14:05
I spend a lot of time editing my brobdingnadian-sized posts down to their tl;dr forms. No-one ever notices because I never press "post reply" until I'm sure my response is intelligence-insulting but not downright embarrassing. =)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 14:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to respond in a more thorough and thoughtful manner.  I'd rather that than curt ones.

I'm interested in the exploration of ideas and how people think.  One problem can be that when someone does respond in a more expansive manner, I feel obligated to respond in kind, but don't always have sufficient time (and by the time I can the discussion has moved on).

There are multiple approaches to take when responding/ many different ways to see things. I know that I'm sometimes guilty of trying to approach it from too many angles. and with too many digressions.

As long as a person is making some attempt to be considerate with his or her response, I don't mind the length.  If someone is responding at great length  to assert dominance, then I don't like it.  If it shows genuine interest in what the other person is saying, and wants to explore that in discussion (and is not an ego trip) then wonderful.  I don't like "superior sounding"/ patronizing posts no matter what length (I know I come across that way sometimes).
I always enjoy your long posts, they are always informative and well informed, the only problem I have with them is that you've never posted anything I've disagreed with Stern%20Smile
What?
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 15:11
I was just thinking about the last time I wrotte a very long reply... I'm not sure, but I think it was like a year ago. As I said, I try to read those large replies, but when it becomes XXL, I feel tired just to look at the grey block.
¡Beware of the Bee!

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 16:53
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

I'm not gonna lie; I didn't read your response....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>