Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnglagard vs. Bacamarte

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [61.36%]
17 [38.64%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 00:41
...And Iván what about Wobbler?

Anyways I will create a poll about Anglagard's sound, to see what others think about it, ok?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 01:13
Originally posted by P.H.P. P.H.P. wrote:

I still in disagreement with you Iván, because you continue saying that they're 100% prog, and my believe is that there's no such band,

Well, that they were 100% Prog is out of the question, Anglagard is 100% Prog as a lot of bands, more than most because they didn't had time to became any other thing being that they disolved after only two albums. 

all are inspired in 70's prog music, because to be really 100% 70's they must have grown in that period of time like adults, not teens, or use a time machine to stop the time back in the 70's, thing that is ficticious and never happened, but what I really say is to sound 70's you must not have listened to any new stuff because that would be a distractory in order to create a pure 70's band, and that's pretty hard, ergo, to be completely 70's prog sounding is impossible in any later time.

Why? They grew listening Prog, remember when Anglagard was formed, the youngest member was 16 and the older were 21.

They formed the band exclusively to play music of the 70's:

Quote In the summer of 1991 Tord Lindman and Johan Högberg were looking for musicians with an interest for the progressive and innovative music of the early seventies.

They even say it in an interview, they accepted no fusion or other styles:

Quote What were your motivations for playing progressive rock?

Mattias Olsson:
I think we were all big fans of the old bands, and decided "we are going to do this for real!", "we are going to do the big symphonic rock album!". And we were very lucky to find other people who were really into it, who were ready to play the same kind of music. Indeed, I've been talking with other people in London and in America, for instance, and they always say "I really want to begin a symphonic rock band, but I've this guitar player who is really into fusion", or "I've my bass player who really wants to play pop", so it never really matches. We were really lucky to find out members that could agree and play the same kind of music, in the same way.

As a fact Thomas Johnson, Mattias Olsson  and Jonas Engdegĺrd  went to school together and they studied with a teacher who was a fan of the 60's and 70's.

Quote You went to school together with Jonas and Mattias. What was it like, when you had music classes?

We had the best possible music teacher. He is kind of a folk musician playing electric guitar with a huge collection of '60s and '70s rock/pop/prog/psyk/folk
music. We were about five, six students that regularly went to the music room to play some guitar, have a cup of coffee, listen to odd music. I don't remember his music lessons very well though

So they all grew listening 70's music, their teacher formed them with the same music the bands of the 70's listened and formed a band exclusively to play 70's music, the result couldn't be other.

And Anglagard is so appreciated because of their very great symphonic prog inspired in the 70's prog, and that wonderfully sounded classic and modern and the same time, that's because they're so interesting for us prog-heads, remember modernity doesn't necessarily mean bad, just ask Dream Theater in the 90's.

Never said Modern is synonymous of bad, there are lots of modern bands that I love, but Anglagard as a band was extremely careful to play exclusively in the style of the 70's and even refusing to use any technology not availlable in the 70's.

As a matter of facts, Anglagard is more complex and more Symphonic than most of the 70's Symphonic bands.

Almost forgot, please don't mention Dream Theater as an example of a great band, I can't stand them, this doesn't mean they are bad or has anythjing to do with modernity, it's simply I don't like their music at all.

Iván

EDIT: Please if it's so important for you to be right, it's OK you are right and they are modern (for you), but please don't start a poll asking who agrees or disagrees with you or me, this is not a contest and that poll is pretty distasteful.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 18 2007 at 02:18

P.H.P. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 02:16
Correction:

"I still in disagreement with you Iván, because you continue saying that they're 100% 70's prog, and my believe is that there's no such band.."

And nop, Iván, it's not bad taste, it's only to compare results and see what others think, about what we're talking, just that, or is it bad taste if I care about other's considerations?, I don't think so.

Mlaen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 08:26
There are very, very few albums that can match the majesty of Depois do fim...
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 08:41
They both made a masterpiece! But i think Hybris is one of my favorites, so i vote it

Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 16:02
Originally posted by P.H.P. P.H.P. wrote:

Correction:

"I still in disagreement with you Iván, because you continue saying that they're 100% 70's prog, and my believe is that there's no such band.."

And nop, Iván, it's not bad taste, it's only to compare results and see what others think, about what we're talking, just that, or is it bad taste if I care about other's considerations?, I don't think so.

How can you even continue arguing after reading his last post? He proved, with quoted evidence that they stuck purely to the 70s symphonic sound. Unless you can find some evidence that contradicts that, you have no argument. The opinions gathered from a poll can't change fact.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 08:54
I haven't heard Bacamarte, am I missing something special here?
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 09:16
i don't like Anglagard very much. I think the prog in Hybris is not natural and lacks fresh ideas. 
Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 15:18
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I haven't heard Bacamarte, am I missing something special here?
You are missing something very, very special.
I could be a little suspect in here because i'm portuguese and normally, portuguese prog rock fans like brazilian prog rock. But Depois do Fim is really a unique album and an absolute masterpiece of prog as we see in the ratings. It's an essencial album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12