Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnglagard vs. Bacamarte

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [61.36%]
17 [38.64%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anglagard vs. Bacamarte
    Posted: September 16 2007 at 10:35
Difficult, isn't it? Think I'll choose anglagard, and you?Tongue
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 10:42
And I Wink
dAJaro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 11:13
same here!
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 11:37
Sadly...I am going with Bacamarte.
proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 11:37
Bacamarte - Depois Do Fim- for sure!!!
...live for tomorrow...
MononcQc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 11:42
Bacamarte - Depois do fim got me more. It's a tough choice, though.

Edited by MononcQc - September 16 2007 at 11:43
Publius84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 11:49
I love the sound of Anglagard. My vote goes to this group.
I know what I like and I like what I know...

Prog is in my heart, in my mind, in my soul...
Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 12:28
Very difficult.
Although they are brothers in terms of language, Bacamarte will be behind Anglagard, and i vote Hybris. Two fantastic albums, and unfortunately we can't vote in both
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 12:30
I wasn't as impressed with Depois do Fim as I thought I was going to be...
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 17:13
Oh my, this is a hard one!

I LOVE Depois do Film, especially the wonderful Passaro de Luz...
But I'm not sure if I can choose between that and Hybris Confused

oh, shucks... I'll vote for Depois do Film just to even the score a bit...
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
P.H.P. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 17:20
Both bands have nothing in common, completely different sounds, both really well done, remember Bacamarte has all the latin flavour and Anglagard has the tradition of the european sound, Bacamarte sounds more 70's than Anglagard, Depois do Fim was done in the 80's, and Anglagard's in the 90's so that's where their progressive rock sound could grab a bit more of modernity, even some melodic and metallic hints to their music, like it was on Hybris.

Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 19:51
Tough poll! I love both albums.. I'll go with Bacamarte to even out the score. The fact that it was alone as one of the only solid pure prog albums in the 80s makes it more special for me.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 21:46
Originally posted by P.H.P. P.H.P. wrote:

Bacamarte sounds more 70's than Anglagard, Depois do Fim was done in the 80's, and Anglagard's in the 90's so that's where their progressive rock sound could grab a bit more of modernity, even some melodic and metallic hints to their music, like it was on Hybris.

IMHO this part is not accurate P.H.P. Anglagard is a product of Prog Renaissance in Sweden which started with the foundation of the Swedish Art Rock Academy by Par Lindh to rescue the values of Symphonic Prog of the 70's as their fundamental mission.

Anglagard's sound is 100% exact to the 70's, as a fact there can't be any hint of modernity because they refused to use any instrument or technology not availlable in the 70's.

You can find some hints of Metal (more precisely Prog Metal took it from them) in Par Lindh Project, but Anglagard is pure 70's Symphonic.

Bacamarte on the other hand mixes Genesis and Yes influences with Italian Symphonic influence, more precisely of PFM but closer to the Argentinean approach rather than Brazilian.

Both are outstanding bands, but there's no way Bacamarte has a more 70's oriented sound than Anglagard.

Now, this is 100% subjective, but I go with Anglagard, IMHO the most impressive band after Gabriel's Genesis.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 16 2007 at 22:05

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 21:51
Rock on Ivan.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 21:51
Anglagard edges out Bacamarte for me. Hybris is nearly perfect, while Depois do Fim has some moments that come off as filler to me. Very close call, though.
P.H.P. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 18:20
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Bacamarte sounds more 70's than Anglagard, Depois do Fim was done in the 80's, and Anglagard's in the 90's so that's where their progressive rock sound could grab a bit more of modernity, even some melodic and metallic hints to their music, like it was on Hybris.

IMHO this part is not accurate P.H.P. Anglagard is a product of Prog Renaissance in Sweden which started with the foundation of the Swedish Art Rock Academy by Par Lindh to rescue the values of Symphonic Prog of the 70's as their fundamental mission.

Anglagard's sound is 100% exact to the 70's, as a fact there can't be any hint of modernity because they refused to use any instrument or technology not availlable in the 70's.

You can find some hints of Metal (more precisely Prog Metal took it from them) in Par Lindh Project, but Anglagard is pure 70's Symphonic.

Bacamarte on the other hand mixes Genesis and Yes influences with Italian Symphonic influence, more precisely of PFM but closer to the Argentinean approach rather than Brazilian.

Both are outstanding bands, but there's no way Bacamarte has a more 70's oriented sound than Anglagard.

Now, this is 100% subjective, but I go with Anglagard, IMHO the most impressive band after Gabriel's Genesis.

Iván

Iván, I mantain my statement, by the following reasons, think well...

why are Anglagard so famous in the Prog Rock scene, and of course among prog fans?

1) because they did exactly 70's symph??....no

2) or because they brought a fresh new air into symphonic prog scene??....yes

there many bands doing traditional 70's prog, with no success in prog fans, wonder why...do you seriously think if Anglagard would have done just traditional 70's symph they would have reached that high status in Prog Rock circles?...

I don't think so, the answer is obvious, to sound 70's it's not everything about instrumentation like you argued, it's about the music that you really do, their music is inspired with no doubt in the 70's sound, it's complex music, most than some traditional 70's bands, it certainly has a bit of 80's prog sound, an eclectic sound they develop, so there's no 100% of pure 70's prog like you said, there's modernity and originality in the music of Anglagard, and most important than that, they're good.

Evandro Martini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 19:42
I vote for Bacamarte.

I have to say that what what keeps me from loving Anglagard as much as most of you do is their metal influence. It's totally clear to me that they have metal influence, as their sound often gets very heavy, with distorted guitars and keyboards that don't sound very pleasant.

On the other hand, Bacamarte always sounds beautiful to my ears, with great instrumental and a gentle singer as well.

And I've heard from reliable sources that their album was recorded in 1977, but they could release it only years later. If it wasn't so, anyway, the songs were already composed by 1977. So it's no surprise they have a pure 70s sound Wink
"You’ll never make any money playing music that people can’t sing.” Keith Emerson's father
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 23:19

Iván, I mantain my statement, by the following reasons, think well...

why are Anglagard so famous in the Prog Rock scene, and of course among prog fans?

1) because they did exactly 70's symph??....no

I believe that's precisely the reason why they are so appreciated, after more than a decade of Neo Prog, a genre that wasn't fully accepted by plder Progheads, returning to the 70's was a miracle for most of us.

Lets remember that the orioginal prog bands were doing stuff closer to Pop than to Prog, so Anglagard was a return to the roots.

2) or because they brought a fresh new air into symphonic prog scene??....yes

there many bands doing traditional 70's prog, with no success in prog fans, wonder why...do you seriously think if Anglagard would have done just traditional 70's symph they would have reached that high status in Prog Rock circles?
Yes, Neo was seen as bland by most Prog fans, lets be honest with that, the old fans believed Prog as they knew it was dead, but then out of nowhere comes a band formed by teens that made the exact music they liked. with the same approach as the pioneers, this is for what many of us prayed during the 80's-

It's also important to remember that in the 80's and early 90's  it wasn't common to fiond Prog bands doing pure Symphonic, Anglagard and par Lind started all again.

I don't think so, the answer is obvious, to sound 70's it's not everything about instrumentation like you argued,

Not argued that PHP, it's the approach, the sound, orchestration, atmosphere, complexity, everything.

it's about the music that you really do, their music is inspired with no doubt in the 70's sound, it's complex music, most than some traditional 70's bands,

Please PHP it's clearly pure and pristine 70's sound, no references to Neo Prog or anything released in the 80's.

it certainly has a bit of 80's prog sound, an eclectic sound they develop, so there's no 100% of pure 70's prog like you said, there's modernity and originality in the music of Anglagard, and most important than that, they're good.

They are original because they copied nobody, that they are good, they are great, but i can't find any band closer to the 70's in any later decade than Anglagard.

Cheers

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 17 2007 at 23:21

P.H.P. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 00:22
I still in disagreement with you Iván, because you continue saying that they're 100% 70's prog, and my believe is that there's no such band, all are inspired in 70's prog music, because to be really 100% 70's they must have grown in that period of time like adults, not teens, or use a time machine to stop the time back in the 70's, thing that is ficticious and never happened, but what I really say is to sound 70's you must not have listened to any new stuff because that would be a distractory in order to create a pure 70's band, and that's pretty hard, ergo, to be completely 70's prog sounding is impossible in any later time.

And Anglagard is so appreciated because of their very great symphonic prog inspired in the 70's prog, and that wonderfully sounded classic and modern and the same time, that's because they're so interesting for us prog-heads, remember modernity doesn't necessarily mean bad, just ask Dream Theater in the 90's.

Edited by P.H.P. - September 18 2007 at 02:12
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 00:26
I've always thought of these two bands together because they're both quite good, but far from the masterpieces people makes them out to be. Either way, Hybris.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>