Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA call on von Hertzen Brothers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A call on von Hertzen Brothers
    Posted: September 18 2007 at 06:49
Hi there

I thought of asing people's opinion on this band, I bet that at least every Finnish person here has heard of them. Von hertzen Brothers just came up with a new album last year, which was a great success in all its complexity. Three brothers accompanied by the drummer, Sami Kuoppamäki from Kingston Wall. Anyway, this was their second record after the first on that didn't get so much attention, sadly, because listening to it now, it's really a brilliant album too.

I'll paste a link to a couple of their videos so you'll get the genre: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAAvkCNC-CE their first radio hit and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WznTadcvWr4 a video version of their 9:30 minute album ender. There's also samples here at their website http://www.vonhertzenbrothers.com/index_5.php?s=14
Also you might want to check out the myspace site http://myspace.com/vonhertzenbrothers

I know they're somewhere between alternative rock and some form of art rock. I'd love some support on this because in my opinion, they deserve their spot in PA.

Edited by Passionist - September 18 2007 at 06:54
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 15:24
I've listened to the samples, but I have my doubts about them.... I think the best call would be to have the Xover team take a look at them . I'll post a link to this thread in the collabs zone.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 17:25
noted.... thanks Raff.... and we'll take a listen.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 18:27
Xover took a listen ...based on the songs on the MySpace page... the jury is still out..

Unless we hear additional songs that convince us that blended prog and popular music rather than just having some prog elements in their music.. we will have to pass on them..

That isn't a rejection, take note of Alux Nahual who were rejected based on MySpace samples ... later after additional songs came to our attention.. are now on the brink of acceptance into the hallowed halls of PA's.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 06:12
Oh I'm just looking for opinions on this. sure, it's mostly rock, basically alternative with a lot of prog elements. Who knows, perhaps I'll upload some stuff for you to listen later.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 16:24
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

Oh I'm just looking for opinions on this. sure, it's mostly rock, basically alternative with a lot of prog elements. Who knows, perhaps I'll upload some stuff for you to listen later.

sure any time you want to do that... just send that my way....  I'll be here... at least till I add Pat Benatar to the site LOL
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2008 at 18:06

Hi!

I was thinking, earlier this year, Von Hertzen Brothers came out with a new grand album. Perhaps, I thought, I should give them another try, if a third album would convince our collaborators here. See, there's a common consensus in Finland, that this band is what Finnish prog-rock stands for today. Despite their complex and pretentious style, they've been really popular, among the common crown and the porg and jazz listeners. They've come up with a couple of more singles, which are, as always the most conventional songs of the album, but along with the old woul in my opinion easily make it to ProgArchives. At least, I think it would add to PAs credability among us finnish users to have them here.

A few links to support my opinion: http://www.vonhertzenbrothers.com/index_5.php?s=13 this is the new hit, with the old ones too, also available on the myspace site http://www.myspace.com/vonhertzenbrothers including the song that plays a lot on the radio nowadays, Freedom Fighter.

The band was brilliant live, the show was huge. I have their albums, and should they be added to say, symphonic/neo prog or just prog related, I'd be more than happy to aid in providing album reviews, biography, stuff like that. The 3 albums and the tracklistings are easily found at the website!!!

Also, I appologise for not sending more material first, but I thought I'd rather let them upload it than me spreading it around without permission.

Edited by Passionist - July 24 2008 at 18:07
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 00:52
got your PM Tuomas and will share in the Xover team thread thanks brother Clap
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 04:29
von Hertzen Bros have been approved by Xover Clap
What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 05:46
Clap  Tuomas if you'd like to do the bio and get us all the info... we'll make you a prog immortal and credit you with the addition hahahha.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 21:16
Bump
What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 17:52
^ taking this one Dean....   not sure what if anything I have to work with... I'll take a looksie....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 17:54
that's just great...

biography.....

coming soon...

time to pull a Sherlock Holmes outta my hind quarters and see what I dig up LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 17:56
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 18:32
and added...

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3993

the bio is a wiki rip... so if any of our Finnish or finnish speaking members would like to help out and give me a more detailed and site appropriate bio... just PM to me... hell... I'll even credit you with the addition and have M@X sent you a certificate for your wall.  Any monkey could have done what I did hahaha.

Edited by micky - September 24 2008 at 18:32
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 16:42
I'll give it a try. This isn't copied from anywhere, just some of the things I remember learning along the past years. So there may be mistakes and inaccuracies, enjoy Tongue

"When the 90s was coming to its end, all three sons of the von Hertzen family enjoyed a successful career in the front line of Finnish rock; Kie was the guitarist for Don Huonot, one of the most popular rock bands at the time, Jonne played bass in the backing band of Jonna Tervomaa and Mikko was the drummer for Egotrippi and Lemonator, but was soon to quit both bands to leave for India to live a simpler life. Von Hertzen Brothers started off around the year 2000 as a way to realize the songs Mikko had been writing in India, and when the two other brothers brought their spices to the table, their first album, Experience (2001), was born. Kie and Jonne kept to their original instruments, but Mikko stepped to the front taking the lead vocalist / rhythm guitarist duties while still playing the drum parts. They assembled a live band, played a couple of shows in support of the album and went back to their own bands and lives. The album didn't sell very many copies.

A few years later Don Huonot had broken up and the brothers decided to try working together again. Again consisting mostly of Mikko's songs the band recorded and released Approach (2006) to a much warmer response than their debut. Finland's biggest rock magazine Soundi gave the album a glowing review with five stars, and a cut-in-half version of the psychedelic balladish track Kiss a Wish conquered the radio waves. Eventually the album went gold in Finland and won the Emma (the Finnish Grammy, kind of) award for best rock album of the year. In 2008 their third album, Love Remains the Same, shot straight to the number one spot of the Finnish album charts and has so far spent 17 weeks in the top 40.

The band lists as their influences pretty much everything from AC/DC to Yes, but the names most often heard connected to them are Kingston Wall, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. The final word comes from Mikko: ""von Hertzen" is german and means "from the heart". That's what we try to always keep in mind when writing or performing. We feel the music is pretty much useless, if it doesn't come from our hearts. The point of music, any kind of music, is to create wonderful experiences that are somehow elevating and encouraging. That's our mission. The music is our instrument"."

Edited by Keppa4v - December 06 2008 at 03:22
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 17:31
^ Thank you for that - the biography has now been updated Thumbs Up
What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 18:32
thanks as well Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply