Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDir En Grey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dir En Grey
    Posted: September 27 2007 at 20:28
I have been very confused since I noticed that Dir En Grey was included on this site. I saw them at the Family Values Tour last summer with Korn and the Deftones, and I was thinking: "this can't be the same band, this band is not progressive or prog at all."

Sure enough, it was the same Japanese theatrical metal band. I've researched this band using this site, Wikipedia (which I believe is a reliable source for this subject) and some other fan sites and amazon.com reviews.

I don't think that the "Visual Kei" concept is good enough for inclusion to PA because it really has nothing to do with the music. (Personally, on a side-note, I think its just a fancy excuse to wear make-up and women's clothing, something Poison was great at 20 years ago).

I looked at the reviews for "Withering to Death", their 4.13-rated "masterpiece" and none of the reviewers mention progressiveness or any other qualities of the band that would lead me to believe that they should be included.

I think that this band is just an alternative band. I realize that they have some depth to their sound, but I don't think it's enough for PA.

Look at the video (on this site) called "Clever Sleazoid" and tell me if you see anything progressive going on. I don't. I just see a modern rock band.

Check this out too, its on their page on PA: Why this artist must be listed in www.progarchives.com : If you want to know Japan's original rock music, you must begin by the group that is successful, somewhat world-wide known, but still alternative and still playing what they really want: Dir en grey.
^^^^well alright....?

I just want to be informed, educated on why this band is on PA, because I can't see anything on PA that justifies their inclusion.

(I know that my personal opinion of a band has Nothing to do with whether they will or will not be on this site, but, by the way, I thought they were terrible at the Family Values Tour... Maybe their extreme sound is good on record [I said "maybe" because I think its awful], but live, it was horrible, almost unidentifiable.)

Either I'm right, or somebody needs to throw me a bone.
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 20:33
And usually I don't care to argue whether a band should or shouldn't be on this site, or whether they should be in this sub-genre or that one, but this one is just bugging the heck outta me. 
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 20:48
The Japanese dudes with the masochist frontman?

I've given them a listen, and I agree with you. While they are fairly good (for an alternative band), I don't think they qualify as progressive.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 12:03
This is a wrong place for such a thread since you don't report any error or omission. If you don't agree with the inclusion of a particular band you should rather start the thread in Prog Music Lounge, I think.

Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 19:01
LOLWhat if I want you to omit Dir En Grey from this prog site?
Just kidding. I was thinking about posting in there, but I, was a bit shy maybe.

Well. Here goes. The subject will probably get more attention there anyway.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2007 at 07:54
As this has been raised elsewhere, I'll close this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply